• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320E Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2 1

dumb question,

my stupid prime95 works for like 3-5 minutes then turns down 2 cores but continues with the test.. ive been trying to hit 4.1ghz but no go with prime95 ... anyone to chime in?..

Could you give us some info regarding board, etc? Off the top of my head, it sounds like you have turbo still on, as well as some power savings stuff, but without knowing your mobo, I cannot really guide you for any additional assistance.

Could you give us some info regarding board, etc? Off the top of my head, it sounds like you have turbo still on, as well as some power savings stuff, but without knowing your mobo, I cannot really guide you for any additional assistance.
This^^^^ Obviously you're not running the Fx 8320 on the M2n68 :D In most cases from what I've seen dropped workers usually means either lack of Cpu voltage or Cpu Nb voltage. Again more info can help us help you.

Ahhh I misunderstood. I thought you were experiencing core throttling, but it sounds like 2 cores are failing Prime 95 out of the 8. I hit a nice little vcore wall right around 4.2ghz on mine. Really had to pour on the vcore to get it stable at 4.3ghz. As all chips are different, you could be hitting the same wall on your chip.

MSI 970Gaming (MS-7693)
G.SKILL 8GB Ram
Amd 8320E (obviously)
Cpuz_zpsoikdujwy.png

Try slowly bumping the vcore up, but from my understanding that board is going to have some issues overclocking an 8xxx series FX. IIRC, it has a 6+2 VRM, no LLC settings, and questionable MOSFETs to begin with.

ive bumped the vcore up,ill report back.

I ran prime for 6hrs not to long ago with 4.05ghz Its chilling at a cool 37* on the cpu atm

but yes the increase in vcore did help a ton,its at 4.11ghz right now running prime for 10 minutes and nothing has stopped

You need to remember these 8230E chips are binned for rather low vcore at 3.2ghz. It's gonna take a bump to move them along the speeds of the normal chips. According to others, mine is behaving at 4.5ghz as the rest of the FX series does. That thermal headroom you had at 4.0ghz disappears fast the closer you get to 4.5ghz. I cannot really push mine harder without better cooling, but do keep an eye on your vcore and watch for both droop and instability. My understanding is that the new MSI boards use questionable MOSFETs and therefore are prone to failure.

I replaced my PSU with a 800 watt gold rated corsair , ill definitely check into that drop. I think another bump in vcore and I should be more then stable it only dropped 1 core instead of 2 this time after 30 minutes of running it
on prime95 also my memory is set to 1066 but it has some issues at 1600mhz

Looks like you're OC'ing the bus. FYI, the multi isn't locked!

OC'ing the bus right off the bat can complicate things!

You now could be getting Prime95 failures, because of the CPU NB and/or HTT link.

alright I adjusted some item's (mainly not Oc fsb) I upped the multiplier to 21x201 [4.281ghz] however i didn't increase my volts or drop them and after 4hrs I hit a wall at with prime95 temp at 40c should I up more voltage?.. I'm currently set at 1.325 under load is that too high?..

This is taken directly from an overclocking guide AMD has. As long as your temps stay below 70c on the Socket and 62 on the package you're good.
Fx temperatures.PNG

thanks man, package is at 64 max for 2 hrs now
I tested (small fft's) I'm not too concerned with the ram atm should I be?..

All depends first can you update your signature so we know exactly what is in the rig. If your running anything 1866 MHz +,you may want to stress with prime blend. Some of these Fx chips need a bump in CPU Nb voltage in order to get ram stable at or over 1866.

I'm trying to run the ram at 1600mhz nothing higher, ive already bumped nb voltage a slight bit. I'm up on vcore now I'm trying to find the sweet spot with out losing too much oc gain.

Back