• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Socket Temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi, Ever since last week when I put the 8350 in, the difference between the core temps & the socket temps has increased greatly. I know that a number of people have said that it is good to have the temps about 10C at most between them. While the 4170 was in the sys. the difference was never more than about 6 or 7C with prime95 running. Now with the 8350 with prime going I've seen a max of 20C. With the SS below is there a problem with these temps?
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• hwm.PNG
    hwm.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 251
  • cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 242
  • prime.PNG
    prime.PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 243
The difference you speak of at that speed is likely not going to be a problem. At least not right away.

It probably means that the extra heat of the 8 core has raised the temps of the VRMs because of added power pulled thru them to the cpu. That extra heat is being sensed in the area called CPU/Socket temp in HWMonitor. You might make that temp more in line by putting fan blowing on VRMs and even a fan at the rear of the cpu socket to draw heat away from the rear of the socket of the mobo.

This is most often seen when putting water cooling to the cpu and losing the air flow that was in the cpu area when there was an air cooler on the cpu.

Like I said at the current temp level, I would not expect an immediate problem. Unless you have some error showing but you don't mention anything. It seems more a 'pointer' to what is going on or has changed and not necessarily a problem right now.
RGone...

The difference you speak of at that speed is likely not going to be a problem. At least not right away.

It probably means that the extra heat of the 8 core has raised the temps of the VRMs because of added power pulled thru them to the cpu. That extra heat is being sensed in the area called CPU/Socket temp in HWMonitor. You might make that temp more in line by putting fan blowing on VRMs and even a fan at the rear of the cpu socket to draw heat away from the rear of the socket of the mobo.

This is most often seen when putting water cooling to the cpu and losing the air flow that was in the cpu area when there was an air cooler on the cpu.

Like I said at the current temp level, I would not expect an immediate problem. Unless you have some error showing but you don't mention anything. It seems more a 'pointer' to what is going on or has changed and not necessarily a problem right now.
RGone...
Oh sorry I do have a fan mounted behind the socket as per Johan's suggestion. It only brought the temps on the socket down about 2C. The temps in my SS is without the fan mounted. The VRMs are only warm to the touch but I will try that.

Like I said it is most likely an 'indicator' of the change to 8 core. At the temp for Cpu/Socket, I doubt that it will be a problem. Just warm to the touch on VRMs is not bad. I have heard of them being nearly too hot to touch when means the heatsink was doing its job of getting heat off the mosfets.

In todays situation (cpu speed), I cannot see much reason to really sweat it. It is just a marker of what has happened most likely.
RGone...

Temps look fine, you're good to ~70C on socket and just over 60C on the package.

Hi papadan, Maybe try attaching one of the fans slightly lower down on the cpu heatsink so it over-hangs the base slightly and pumps some air over the vrms? Thats what I did. I read that the vrms feed straight into the socket so maybe suck some heat out that way?

Hi papadan, Maybe try attaching one of the fans slightly lower down on the cpu heatsink so it over-hangs the base slightly and pumps some air over the vrms? Thats what I did. I read that the vrms feed straight into the socket so maybe suck some heat out that way?
Sounds like a good idea, how did it work on yours?

So far so good at 4.6. The other thing I did was to space the socket fan away a bit from the back of the cpu socket using a couple of bits of old heatshrink tubing I had laying around. The tape is thermal tape but double sided tape works just as good.

I did this after hwmon reported a 'max' value for socket temp of 190 celcius or something ridiculous about 90 mins into a test last night! I thought maybe the fan was too close to the socket and was smothering it or that the motor in the fan was heating up the socket somehow but it turned out to be a glitch in HWmon (just like it is 'reporting' the max vcore below!) Going to re-install it.

Anyway now the socket fan is now blowing cold air on rather than trying to pull it away and there is a bit more room for hot air to escape. May help?

Good luck.

Attachments

• sabo4.6hw.png
    sabo4.6hw.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 222
  • spacers.png
    spacers.png
    785.2 KB · Views: 226
Good to hear that it's working out. I looked at my fans on the cooler & the way they are mounted won't let me offset them. I put a fan on the back of the socket but it comes real close to the side panel. I'm going to have to cut a hole in the side panel so it can draw air into the case.

You can also mount a fan directly on the VRM section if you can fit it. See that ugly 80mm Noctua sitting on mine.
IMG_3649a.jpg

Back