• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crayonmuffin

Registered
Just got my new build up and running. My aftermarket cooler was damaged in shipping so I have to wait for RMA to get it back so I'm currently using the stock cooler, on stock settings. I know the 8350 runs pretty warm but I was getting pretty high temps even on idle so I re applied thermal paste and reseated the cooler and I'm still getting higher temps than I should be.

At idle I'm averaging 44-46C and under full load it tops out at 71C. Anything I should be worried about until my aftermarket shows up or should I be alright?

What are you reading these temps with? BIOS? Software?
Do you know if it is core or socket temps? Are you running on stock settings or have you overclocked it?

Reading with software. Not sure which temp it is o_O

And again on stock settings. No OC until I get a different cooler.

Crayon, download Hwmonitor, open it and put it under a load. Then post the pic back here so we can see it. Also put your system specs in your signature so we can see what you're running. Edit: keep the Cpu temp 70 or below and Package temp 60 or below.

Last edited:
46C at idle under stock settings sounds a tad hot, yeah. What is the ambient room temp?
Also, do what mandrake tells you! :salute:

Alright I'll try that here in a few when I'm not busy. I ran Prime95 for about 20 minutes and that's when it hit 71 but no higher than that. I thought it may just be the software but I checked it with another one and in the bios and they were all within a degree of each other. Just got off work and now my idle temps are 34-37 so I'm a tad confused.

Going to install new heatsink probably tomorrow so hopefully that takes the temps down.

Also my specs are

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Vishera (at stock)
MOBO: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooler: Stock
Memory: 2x4 GB G.skill Sniper series
PSU: Corsair 650w
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7870 OC
HDD: Seagate 1TB
O/S: Windows 7
Case: Haf 912 with stock fans

You should add those specs to your signature. You can edit your signature by clicking on User CP at the top of the page, then clicking on edit signature on the left side of the screen.

Alright I ran Prime95 for about 12 minutes and got this. Earlier ran for 20 and it stopped at 71C.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 261
yeah I wouldn't suggest doing anything with the stock cooler, they aren't so great. I think you want to pay closer attention to the package temp than the CPU temp but neither of them look especially cool.

Looks like you're right at the threshold. You'll notice a difference with aftermarket cooling. What are you getting today. Is it air?

Yeah I don't have much money so I got a hyper 212 plus on sale. Then begins the annoying-ness of installing it -_-

That'll definately be better than the stock fan. Ihave one on my 965 with two fans it's fairly quiet and works quite well. Although your FX8350 is going to put out alot more heat than a 965 does. We'll have to see how well it'll OC after you get it installed.

The fact that these processors run so hot at stock clocks and taking into consideration ssjwizards thread about the Fx processors being tougher when we think. A web search for Max Tdp on these chips brings up a mixed bag. Though, I only suggest this for a user that understands that we don't know what the long term effects of running this cpu higher temp, will be. I am definitely starting to think we need to revise upward what we consider safe temps.

Crayon the Hyper 212 + has one of the easier mounting mechanisms, out of the 4 different Air coolers I own. It is relatively painless to install, I found because of the exposed heat pipes on it. That using two thin strips of TIM on the pipes directly, approximately 10mm long works best for mounting. Id like to see how the 212 holds up to the heat of one of these processors.

Only one way to find out Mandrake. Just ride it till it smokes. :mad:

You first :rofl:
Ya I'd like to see how the hyper holds up. I really like mine.
I used a different approach for mounting. I did a "filler" pass on the base of the heatsink. Basically put paste on it and rubbed it into the gaps along the pipes then wiped the excess. Then just a pea sized blob on the cpu.

Well I've seen 73 on the cores for a brief period when benching Cinebench @ 5.4+ and it still lives. I think Caddi Daddi killed a 8120 at 83c, though it may have also been the amount of V core he was feeding it.

It would be pretty sweet if we could have another 10°.
It's funny I was talking to the neighbour saturday night. He's an IT guy and always dealt with Intel. He was literally shocked when I said I shouldn't go over 60°

I dunno I'm just paranoid but my hyper is scheduled to be here tomorrow. It just freaks me out when I go to play Starcraft 2 or something and my temps jump to 65 out of nowhere -_-

But again I might've just been a noob and put too much paste on or something. I hate how the stock cooler is wide so I can't see if any seeped out the sides or not :3

I'm still curious what your ambient room temps are. If it's around 30 degrees I wouldn't be so surprised if you get these temps with a stock cooler.
Then again I'm much of a noob myself so you shouldn't really be listening to me :rolleyes:

Back