• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stock coolers are what they are. They're able to keep the CPU "cool enough" at stock speeds that's it. It seems a bit ironic to sell an unlocked processor with an underwhelming cooling solution. But that's business.

Methinks his stock cooler isn't performing too badly though. Under load his socket temps are a mere 11C hotter (and core 17C hotter) than mine with a 620. And then I was running at [email protected]

My room temp is 20-23C usually. 30C would be hot as sin lol.

Is it still the general consensus that the rice/pea method of putting on paste is the best way to go?

Then I can't say much about wether your temps are too high or not with a stock cooler.
As for the application method, I think that method is the way to go. Either way you can have a look at this page, not sure if it applies to your thermal paste but it's a good start.

My room temp is 20-23C usually. 30C would be hot as sin lol.

Is it still the general consensus that the rice/pea method of putting on paste is the best way to go?

Best is thin layer on all cpu as it's too large surface for only rice/pea method. It of course depends from used TIM but at least for me it works best.

Alright I just got done installing it. Ended up using rice/pea with the paste and I did a test run for it first(installed it completely) and it seemed to spread nearly perfectly. Now with it installed I'm idling about 29-32C which is a vast improvement. Going to run it through Prime95 in a few and see how that works under load.

Nice to see those temps drop!
Now all that's left is to update your sig with your new cooler ;)

HOLY MOLY. Ran Prime95 for exactly 15 minutes. Hit 50C once then sat stable at 49C. Earlier it hit 71C and stayed there. 21 degree difference with this cooler, incredible.

And for those that use the HWMonitor tool, is it better to go by the CPU temp or the CPU "package" temp? I've heard the physical CPU temps are sometimes off 2-7C.

Nice temp drops there!
Well, I say keep an eye on both. Core (or "package") temps are more important though, the CPU temp is just your socket temp. From what I've learned so far, for the FX-8350 you want to keep it under 72 and 62 respectively for socket and core temps.

Then I should be golden for the time being. When I run into some money I'll have to look into liquid cooling.

Now to find out what's wrong with my HDD...but that is in another topic. Teehee

Stock coolers are what they are. They're able to keep the CPU "cool enough" at stock speeds that's it. It seems a bit ironic to sell an unlocked processor with an underwhelming cooling solution. But that's business.

Well thats partially true, but then again SB-E CPUs dont even come with a HS/F at all.

@op
Your Core/Package Temp didn't go over 60C in the SS you posted so I wouldn't worry about it. When you get your aftermarket cooler your temps should go down by a good deal.

You might also want to consider your overall case airflow before you get to overclocking.

Crayonmuffin, glad your CM 212 Plus lowered your cpu temps. Those are pretty good coolers if the case itself allows the heat from the cpu cooler to get the heck out of the sytem case.

As "ssjwizard" suggests, it is a very good idea to have case cooling a priority as well and not just to look only at the cpu cooler when trying to lower cpu temps. With these FX-Piledriver and even the previous Bulldozer FX processors, it has been a very good idea to plan for cooling to the rear of the motherboard cut-out for the cpu. This to keep the CPU/Socket temps within check when the overclocking becomes really serious.
RGone...

Running a Similar setup

I have a similar setup as Crayonmuffin, only a different air cooling HSF. While OC'd to 4.3Ghz, I run at 8° C idle and 45° C at 100% load on all 8 core for 2 days straight using WCG (World Community Grid). I am in the process of researching and experimenting with higher OC speeds as long as I don't peak over 56° C.

I have a similar setup as Crayonmuffin, only a different air cooling HSF. While OC'd to 4.3Ghz, I run at 8° C idle and 45° C at 100% load on all 8 core for 2 days straight using WCG (World Community Grid). I am in the process of researching and experimenting with higher OC speeds as long as I don't peak over 56° C.

Sounds great for your computering fun.
RGone...

I'm getting another fan to install at the top of my case for more flow. May try to find some clean looking way of modding the side of my case to get some air to the back of the mobo as well but I'm not too good with that stuff :3

One of these in 89 or 90mm will cut a pretty neat hole for a 92mm fan. Convert mm to inches and get a hole saw slightly smaller than the converted to number/size. These "claim" diamond tipping and could mean they will drill more than just one hole in a computer case. Some of the kits from Harbor Freight have many sizes and cost little more than some shown at the link and I doubt there effectiveness beyond cutting just one hole in the side of a case. It is a thought to getting a pretty accurate and neat hole in the side of a case. I couild probably do the hole with a 'good' blade in my jigsaw but I am rather handy with tools.
RGone...

THK Diamond Tools. Hole saws

The only way to get better, is to learn how to do it right and having the gumption to do it.

Yeah, man. I don't remember actually knowing how until I actually did the deed. Up until the doing, it was experimental and after doing it was experiential.
RGone...

Back