• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k Gigabyte Gaming 5 VCore Voltage showing incorrectly in CPUZ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syzigy

Hi all,

Just lookng for clarrification as this may be a misunderstanding from me. I have the system running at 5Ghz stable after following the below guide as base with the assistance of Friend who has done OCing previously. The confusion I have is that I have set up the VCore Voltage to 1.305 but CPUZ is showing as 1.296 without any real change between idle and load. Is there something I may have missed that has not allowed the VCore to increase or does it simply not show up properly on CPUZ? Any assistance or guidance is appreciated. I can screenshot any of the settings need to clarify things. AC/DC Loadline and Vcore Loadline Cralibration is on Turbo.
https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte...Your_Intel_Coffee_Lake_i7-8700K_i5-8600K_CPUs

20180725_165454.jpg
CPUZ.JPG

That will be vdroop, have a google and read up on it. There is a setting in the bios which can lessen the impact or even eliminate it.

I would say however that the voltage isn’t too high and if everything is running ok. Such as passing all stress tests then I would leave it be.

Correct. vDroop is basically just you boards "attempt" to produce a clean 1.305v vCore and the result is 1.296v. Don't think this is a bad thing. Every board experiences this and the better boards incorporate LLC to help offset this.

As BT&D mentioned, your voltages are within the safe zone so as long as your temps are acceptable and you're passing stability tests then I'd say you're good to go.

If you were looking to play a bit more then you could raise your LLC setting higher (Not sure what settings that board has aside from Turbo and Extreme) and start working your vCore back down. This could reduce your vDroop by a few 0.001v's. The goal is to keep the Core voltage in CPU-Z about the same 1.296v.

As the gents above me said.. that is normal. In fact, that is quite a small amount of vdrop (not drOOp). Your image shows idle values. VdrOOp is the difference between idle voltage and load voltage. When you put a load on it (like a stress test) what is the value then?

Again, llc will eliminate that if you choose. But very slight voltage differences lime this are nothing. :)

Thanks for the replies, helped to reassure me that i'm not doing something drastically wrong.

Running stress tests such as Cinebench it drops to 1.284 and back to the stable 1.296. I might go down once at the start of the test and maybe 3/4 of the way through but always returns to the 1.296 (does not move off that at idle) and is otherwise stable and does not show anything any else. I've run it plenty of times and it seems otherwise stable as a whole. I am not to worried at the moment, happy to have it sitting at a flat 5.

Thank you very much for the help.

Thanks for the replies, helped to reassure me that i'm not doing something drastically wrong.

Running stress tests such as Cinebench it drops to 1.284 and back to the stable 1.296. I might go down once at the start of the test and maybe 3/4 of the way through but always returns to the 1.296 (does not move off that at idle) and is otherwise stable and does not show anything any else. I've run it plenty of times and it seems otherwise stable as a whole. I am not to worried at the moment, happy to have it sitting at a flat 5.

Thank you very much for the help.

Cinebench isn’t really a stress test, just a benchmark. You want to be using things such as prime95 to fully stress the cpu and over a prolonged period (several hours) to see if your overclock is truly stable.

I have also been using prime95 although I cannot say I've run it for an hour or more solid. I was just using Cinebench as initially that was what was causing the PC to crash until we made some small adjustments. I will do a more thorough test this evening and monitor the Voltage to make sure it stays settled.

Thanks again for the help.

The Load line calibration you have set on Turbo disables intel's load line specifications. So the Vcore you set in BIOS will to be close to what you see in not so accurate software readings. Also the sensors software reading run in 16mv increments so even though you change the Bios 15mv you might not see a change in reading, I find this to be true on most motherboards.

Back