• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k OC'ed to 5.2ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knight51

Registered
Hi Everyone.

Just finished my build and was overclocking my delidded 8700k. I OC'ed to 5.2ghz, but it stays there constantly even when there's minimal load on the CPU.
Currently my temps are averaging 35C under no load, but my clock speed stays at 5.2ghz. CPU-Z says my core voltage is at 1.488. Did a stress test with intel burn test V2, and
everything is stable, but I think I can lower my voltage.

Does anyone know how to get the CPU to throttle down under minimal load

Specs:
8700k @5.2ghz
Asrock Fatality Gaming Pro I7
GSKILL Trident 32GB @3200mhz
Gigabyte 1080ti Aorus waterforce extreme
Windows 10 64bit
Custom water loop

Last edited:
If you use fixed voltage, the CPU stays at what you set it in Bios. Need to use adaptive and keep all the green stuff on.

No harm to keep the CPU@this voltage, as it is stressed only under load.

1.488 seems a tad high to me though. I would not go above 1.4v.

1.488 is a lot of volts. Stay under 1.4V.

I set voltage manually and let windows drop the clocks/voltage using the balanced power savings preset. ;)

Okay, I'll try to drop the volts when I get home. I thought I could configure the clock speed relative to load in the bios

I think what you want is called speedstep, where the clock speed and voltage of the CPU is lowered during idle. Overclocking forces the system to run in basically turbo mode all the time if you OC past the default turbo speed (I think).

Wingman I'm not sure how your link is relative to OP's post?

Congrats on the Stable OC Knight51. What kind of load temps are you seeing?

That sounds like a very good clock for a very low voltage. I'd be a little cautious with that, and check with a variety of stability tools before signing it off as done.

i think his (random) point was to show just how good that chip is referencing the silicon lottery's highest bin and its voltage for it. :)

Thanks! I think my load temps never past 60C, but I'll have to verify once i get home.

That sounds like a very good clock for a very low voltage. I'd be a little cautious with that, and check with a variety of stability tools before signing it off as done.

I'm using aida64, and intelburntest. I haven't had any issues with those. I'm also using CPU-Z and HWmonitor. Any suggestions on other good stress testing software?

i think his (random) point was to show just how good that chip is referencing the silicon lottery's highest bin and its voltage for it. :)

I actually did get my cpu from silicon lottery. Mine was guaranteed stable at 5.0Ghz with 1.4v

I actually did get my cpu from silicon lottery. Mine was guaranteed stable at 5.0Ghz with 1.4v
im wondering if you are really stable... if they could sell that cpu at 5.2ghz, they would have...

im wondering if you are really stable... if they could sell that cpu at 5.2ghz, they would have...

I don't know what their process is, but maybe I won the lottery? I did multiple stress test each day for the first couple of days after lowering my voltage and haven't had an issue yet. I can post up some screen shots when i get home

What's this "speedstep" you speak of? This is da OC! We don't use "speedstep" or any other "green power saving features"! We go all out or go home! :p

No, I'm not using any AVX loads, and don't plan to. I can set it to no offset and I don't think it would make a difference in terms of stability.

I think components of realbench use AVX, so if you have instability there you'll know about it. 7 offset takes you to 4.5 GHz? Can't say for sure but that sounds not unreasonable for the voltage.

Back