• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k OC'ed to 5.2ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll try and do some for stability test today and play with the offsets if i need to. If I remember correctly, my system on boot up starts at 4.5Ghz and stays at 5.2Ghz but my temps with no load at 5.2Ghz are below 40C. As I'm writing that, it doesn't make sense lol

im wondering if you are really stable... if they could sell that cpu at 5.2ghz, they would have...

That is true. From what I have seen from silicon lottery in the forums they say that rigorous testing is done with many stress testing software programs.

I don't think my AVX offset has anything to do with it. The applications I'm using aren't using AVX instructions. Unless I'm missing something here? Cause my CPU stays at 5.2Ghz except on startup

Ok so i did some more testing last night and attached were the results. I played around with the AVX offset also.

The first pic was right after startup, nothing out of the ordinary there. Voltage was set at auto, and AVX offset at 7

The second pic is when I was running IBT and from the short test my clocks fluctuated a lot ranging from 4.5-5.2Ghz and my max voltage was 1.36v.
I'm assuming that its fluctuating because AVX is kicking in. Settings were the same as in pic 1

The third pic was my final stress test. I set AVX to 1 and voltage to auto again. This time my clocks were fluctuating between 5.1 and 5.2Ghz which is what I expected since I set AVX to 1.
The voltage also increased to a max of 1.41.

I forgot to add an attachment, but I also ran a cinebench benchmark and with my first pic settings (AVX @ 7 and voltage auto with max core clock set to 5.2ghz) there was a lot less fluctuation.
My core clock stayed at 5.2Ghz

I believe everything is stable but what I'm concerned now is that if I run an application my core clocks will keep fluctuating between my AVX offset and my max clock speed that i set. I would ideally like to
keep my clock speed at 5.2Ghz under full load without any AVX but also keep my voltage under 1.38v

CPU stats.PNG CPU Stress test 5.2Ghz 1.36V.PNG CPU Stress test 5.2Ghz AVX 1.PNG

Hit 5.2Ghz @1.36 fixed voltage with AVX @1. Ran IBT stress test and Superposition benchmark and system was stable.

CPU Stress test 5.2Ghz 1.36V Fixed.PNG

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_10392_1513928654.png

~47 minute stress test and a 3 min gpu test.....well, if its stable for your uses, then its its stable. Enjoy!

~47 minute stress test and a 3 min gpu test.....well, if its stable for your uses, then its its stable. Enjoy!

What would be a standard stress test duration for the CPU and GPU?

I wasn't too concerned with my GPU since I did overclock it too much, and haven't had an issues with any games so far.

What would be a standard stress test duration for the CPU and GPU?

I wasn't too concerned with my GPU since I did overclock it too much, and haven't had an issues with any games so far.

You're going to get 37 different (but correct) answers to this question.

As well; 5.2 is "cool" for benching, but you're probably better off finding a nice 4.5-4.7 to run at even lower volts for longevity purposes (my point being is 234fps going to be worth cooking your VRM and socket vs say 190fps?). Im quite curious what your P-state is on that chip... Just a pragmatic approach to it I guess. Your chip of course.

You're going to get 37 different (but correct) answers to this question.

As well; 5.2 is "cool" for benching, but you're probably better off finding a nice 4.5-4.7 to run at even lower volts for longevity purposes (my point being is 234fps going to be worth cooking your VRM and socket vs say 190fps?). Im quite curious what your P-state is on that chip... Just a pragmatic approach to it I guess. Your chip of course.

Yeah i see what you mean. I'm mainly using this build for racing sims in VR and CAD/simulation software. I think once I benchmark the applications I want to use I will see if I can dial down the clock speed and maintain the performance/stability I'm seeking. But in the meantime I don't see a reason to dial it down since the temps I'm seeing shouldn't affect longevity, unless there are other factors I'm missing?

Also, I'm not sure what P-state is on this chip.

Here's also a second stress test i did. Ran it for 5.32 hours CPU Stress test 5.2Ghz 1.36V Fixed Stress test 2.PNG

Average opinion is 2 hours minimum P95(AVX1) blend/Realbench/OCCT or 4 hours Aida64 or 10-20 passes of IBT with max memory. Theory is that you stress it for as long as you would keep your computer turn on and doing something, so ideally 12h-24h. If you only game or web, usually 2h P95 blend is enough to never see a BSOD/crash.

EDIT: for GPU Heaven max settings or 3DMark at the resolution you play at on loop for 2h as well if memory serves.

Last edited:
Average opinion is 2 hours minimum P95(AVX1) blend/Realbench/OCCT or 4 hours Aida64 or 10-20 passes of IBT with max memory. Theory is that you stress it for as long as you would keep your computer turn on and doing something, so ideally 12h-24h. If you only game or web, usually 2h P95 blend is enough to never see a BSOD/crash.

EDIT: for GPU Heaven max settings or 3DMark at the resolution you play at on loop for 2h as well if memory serves.

Thanks!

Back