• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT -> install problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

Yesterday I replaced my 7600GT with an 8800GT and I'm having some problems that I don't fully understand. I did a fresh install of xp as I hoped to do some benchmarking last night. I'll just kinda list all the differences I've noticed lately.

-when posting, listing the hard drives is slow and kinda jumps around
-at the black windows screen where the bar goes across, initially it is slightly dim and takes 1/2 second or so to start going
-as far as I can tell everything seems stable and not overheating (cpu+gpu) but 3dmark03 keeps freezing with either green or purple lines everywhere
-sometimes powering on does nothing, I have to physically unplug the power for a few seconds
-sometimes I'll get bsod stop error C000021a immediately after getting into windows, which is related to the windows login process terminating unexpectedly

On my old card I was able to run benches at 3.8ghz and never noticed any of these problems. I backed down on 8800GT clocks and it's freezing in less time than before, with 100% fan the gpu core never gets above 60C.

I'm using seagate's diagnostic tool right now and 2/3 of my drives passed. After that I plan on doing a windows repair. I'm most concerned about my psu not having enough juice. I used a multimeter on an available molex and it read 12.21, that was my first time checking and if there's something else I should do please let me know.

Here's my setup:
e6400 @ 3.6 1.55v
p5b deluxe w/ 1026 bios
2x1 GB patriot 5-5-5-15 2.3v
8800GT 710/1025
(3) seagate hdds
SB audigy2
OCZ powerstream 520

thanks

Last edited:
Well, your mem clocks for you Gt look low Stock clocks for a non OC GT should be 900

You have 759 listed (I am assuming anyway thats your mem clocks)

You COULD be having a PSU issue, you might need some more over head, like say bump up to a 600-700 watt PSU.

Err, I don't know why I put 759...I was running it at 1067 initially but dropped down to 1025 and it's more stable.

The bsod is still a pain, it takes 3-4 tries to get into windows now, and posting is still strange. Once I get back to school I'll have my vista dvd and I'll probably put that back on. All my hard drives passed the tests, so I guess those are okay too, but I don't know why posting is weird.

I would suggest taking your CPU to stock speeds, and seeing if that helps. Your CPU over clock might be a tad unstable??

I agree with Jas: back off your CPU/memory overclock before you blame the problem on your new video card or PSU. That PSU should be plenty for your rig. Keep in mind that you may have already destroyed your fresh WinXP installation due to file corruption.

Back