• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800gtx overclocking + 3d mark scores.. this good? (i think its kinda bad)pics!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

well i just got my 8800gtx in the mail early this week and im VERY happy with the performance boost over my 7900gt ko. Im able to play all the new games (cod 4 demo, ut3, moh airborne) that i could barely run before hand.

I recently started to overclock it to see what i can get out of this card. I found that the main drivers out now dont run well with hl2 episode 2 at all but the new beta drivers do run well so I am using those drivers at the moment.

right now i have the core is at 630 and memory at 1030 (using rivatuner) this is the max i can get it to without it crashing/locking up my system. not sure if its because its a beta driver thats causeing to make them crash or this is just how fast the card gose. i thought i would be able to hit at least 640 core and 1050 but i doubt it being how stock clocking is 576 core and 900 memory.

i believe the high memory clocking is causing it to crash and not be stable when i got past 1030.

well anyway when i do 3D mark 06 i only get 8999. I know my Crapy 4200+ X2 is causing this low score but I noticed that the video testing scores are lower than a review i found on vr-zone. (http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/NVIDIA_GeForce_8800GTX_Review/4216-19.html)

here is my scores for 06

3d8800uz6.jpg

and here are the scores that the test vr-zone did on the 8800gtx.

69ej1.jpg

you can see that the SM2 score on my card is much lower (3974) and theirs is (4833) and their SM3 score is still beathing mine but not as much. mine (4614) and theirs (4970)

i would like to know why this is? could it be my mothboard's chipset (570). i belive the mobothat vr-zone used was a 680I and i know that that chipset was made for the 8800's. plus i thought it could be my ram (667 ddr2)

here are my 3D mark 05 score as well as my gpu information and my cpu/ram information. ** note in the picture the menu is covering the channel the ram is in. i have the ram set up in dual channel**

3d058800ce9.jpg

lmk if that score for 3D mark 06 is good for what kind of setup im running at the time or not. Also would like to know why i have a black pcb gtx. i thought they stopped making the card black and when with green?. Im pretty sure my card is new being i just bought if off newegg and the card was shipping with Quake wars.

well lmk guys :D thanks

its not good, i get 12600 on a 8800 gts 320mb, 648mhz

yeah but you probably have a c2d

anyone that has a c2d should get at least around 1000 more points than me.

so really if i had a c2d right now i would have a 10,000 3dm 06 score. and probably more performance being how the cpu will help the downsized textures and everything being how i run and mostly everyone else runs at stock low resolutions so i can see around 11000 probably. and what do you know !!!

69ej1.jpg

my math worked out :D

so i guess my crapy cpu/mobo/ probably ram as well is whats hurting me.

well i do plan on upgrading my cpu and motherboard this coming month or in december for my birthday and christmas :D i want to get a c2d but if i plan on getting one i should wait for the 45nm to come out i guess :( and i have no clue when that is. i dont feel like waiting but if it comes out soon i guess ill have to. or i can just buy a 6750 (being how its only 170 bucks and it can hit 3.4 EASY.

your cpu is at 2.49...

even a core 2 duo bottleneck these cards in those 2 benches up to 3.8ghz or so when they are at stock freqs,
my score keeps going up and up just by overclocking cpu. overclocking your card is really pointless.

your cpu is at 2.49...

even a core 2 duo bottleneck these cards in those 2 benches up to 3.8ghz or so when they are at stock freqs,
my score keeps going up and up just by overclocking cpu. overclocking your card is really pointless.

dont mean to be a A-hole but i call BS.
thats why when i over clock my 7900GTs i get a score of a 1000 points or more.

Your 7900's may not be bottle-necked by your 3.2GHz CPU, but how can you say an 8800GTX won't bottle-necked by a 2.5GHz CPU?

Your 7900's may not be bottle-necked by your 3.2GHz CPU, but how can you say an 8800GTX won't bottle-necked by a 2.5GHz CPU?
wait, oh yeah - isnt this like the third or 500th time we have gone over bottlenecking and the 8800???

anyway, to the OP: when i was runnning my D920 and a single 8800gts i could score a little over 7K in 06, with the D920 @ 3.7GHz.

slapped the e6600 in there and my personal record single card score jumped to almost 12K.

These 8800 and 2900's really really love CPU clocks. :)

dont mean to be a A-hole but i call BS.
thats why when i over clock my 7900GTs i get a score of a 1000 points or more.

You are talking about a 7900 GT which doesn't require nearly the CPU to run. We are talking about an 8800 GTX which is at least twice as powerful. It needs a good CPU behind it to get the most out of it.

There have been multiple tests that show that it takes a C2D at a min of 3.2 GHz to take the bottleneck off an 8800 GTX. In a lot of apps it takes more than 3.2 GHz out of a C2D. These G80's are very polygon data hungry. I am sure VJ will chime in and offer better information.

That AMD chip running that slow is holding that GTX back big time. In a lot of games thought the bottleneck will not be as noticable. I was in denial with my Opty 165 as well but I did testing my self. With my Opty 165 @ 2.8 GHz I couldn't break 10k with my GTX in my current system I am working on breaking 13k.

Running my 8800GTX with a C2D and the results are in my sig. so I suppose yours could be classed as low, but I think you've already figured out why...

Cheers
Matt

Just so everyone is on the same page. There are 3 sub scores in a 3dMark score. One of which is dedicated solely to the CPU. If you OC your CPU at all, that score will always go up, which will in turn, increase your overall score. It doesn't just automagically mean that your CPU was bottlenecking your GPU if your overall score increases.

If you want to truely know, you need to look a little deeper. The other 2 sub scores are graphics oriented. If those increase substantially with a CPU OC and no change in GPU then yes, the CPU is bottlenecking. If your FPS increases substantially then yes, the CPU is bottlenecking.

It is more complex than "OMG MY TOTAL SCORE INCREASED" ;)

Remember there are 2 tests in 3dMark06 specifically dedicated to testing the CPU, those are there for a reason ;).

You guys are basically comparing apples to oranges when you say "MY 8800GTX got me such and such score". My 8800GTX got me 14,196, but that has to do with a ton of other factors, one being my CPU score is rather high. Which is again, an entirely different entity than a CPU/GPU bottleneck.

For starters I am pretty sure most of us are aware of how 3DMark works. The reason I said that a bottleneck may be less noticable in games is that 3D Mark really "picks on" the low CPU score. If you put 2 systems with the same speed C2D, same speed 8800 GTX, and same amount and speed of memory head to head in 3D Mark the scores are going to come out very close.

For starters I am pretty sure most of us are aware of how 3DMark works. The reason I said that a bottleneck may be less noticable in games is that 3D Mark really "picks on" the low CPU score. If you put 2 systems with the same speed C2D, same speed 8800 GTX, and same amount and speed of memory head to head in 3D Mark the scores are going to come out very close.

lol, of course. Did I give the impression they wouldn't?

We aren't comparing similar systems though. I'm merely stating that your GPU can be doing all the bottlenecking and if you keep increasing your CPU OC, your 3dMark06 score will continue to rise, because the CPU score will continue to rise. From the way I understood it, the talk of this thread was basically saying that if the overall score increased, your CPU was doing the bottlenecking. That simply isn't true.

Increase by multiples of 9, the rop steps every 27mhz. The shader clock steps every 54 or so mhz, but that is also controlled by the rop/core. Also, adjust core and memory one at a time, not both at once or you'll confuse yourself as to which is causing instability.

Let's say you up your CPU speed and leave your GPU speed untouched. Of course the CPU score will increase. Now if the other 2 scores increase significantly wouldn't it be fair to say that the CPU is bottle-necking the GPU?

Let's say you up your CPU speed and leave your GPU speed untouched. Of course the CPU score will increase. Now if the other 2 scores increase significantly wouldn't it be fair to say that the CPU is bottle-necking the GPU?
YES! That was the point I was coming to.

YES! That was the point I was coming to.

I'm sorry, but I don't exactly see any particular post of yours that differentiates between the 3 scores up until I joined the thread. I'm not saying you aren't well versed in them, just saying it wasn't mentioned in this thread. What jason4207 is saying, is a carbon copy of what I said.

Maverick0984 said:
If those increase substantially with a CPU OC and no change in GPU then yes, the CPU is bottlenecking.

jason4207 said:
Now if the other 2 scores increase significantly wouldn't it be fair to say that the CPU is bottle-necking the GPU?

Now, maybe you meant it that way, which if that's the case, then we agree :). But from the prior posts in the thread, every person seemed as though they were talking in terms of 1 general large score. Which we can all agree on, isn't telling the whole story.

<3

Here's a better bit of comparison data for you.

I'm running the rig in my sig. Keep in mind my Opty has twice as much L2 cache as your X2. I'm also running a 939 rig with DDR1 compared to your AM2 build with DDR2.

These scores were with my XFX 8800GTS 320 XXX edition at it's stock (factory-overclocked) speeds of 580/1800.

With my CPU clocked at 2.4 ghz (240x10) and my RAM locked at a 1:1 ratio running at DDR480, my scores were:

1. 8729 (overall)
2. 4095 (sm2.0)
3. 4139 (hdr/sm3.0)
4. 1877 (cpu)

At that speed I'm already knocking on your door. Lower CPU clocks but twice the L2 and some fast DDR1 memory and I'm only one point behind you in CPU score. My SM2.0 score is also higher than yours, although your GTX is kicking my *** in the HDR/SM3.0 category. Keep in mind this is with a lowly GTS320.

When I bring the CPU up to 2.45ghz (245x10) I get:

1, 8872
2. 4162
3. 4189
4. 1917

The extra CPU speed gave me 40 points in the CPU score and an appropriately-scaled increase in both GPU scores and of course in overall score. My SM2 score is even higher now, and my CPU score is higher, but my overall score is still lower than yours because your GTX is still beating my badly in HDR/SM3.

So now I bring my CPU to 2.5ghz (250x10), but I can't remember if I did this at a 1:1 RAM ratio or on a 5:6 divider. Sorry.

1. 9000
2. 4218
3. 4233
4. 1957

My overall score finally beats you... by one point. To do that, I have to run my Opty a little faster, AND I have to use twice the L2 cache. And even then, you're still right behind me with your high HDR/SM3 score.

These tests should also illustrate another point brought up in this thread: It is obvious that an AMD dual-core K8 chip with 2x1mb L2 cache is still bottlenecking an 8800GTS 320. Notice that my GPU clocks remained the same and only CPU speed was adjusted, and both of my graphics scores increased in step with my CPU scores and clock speed.

Last edited:
Back