• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

890GX VS 880GX VS 870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

What is the advantage of the 890GX chipset?

One thing i noticed is 890GX is CrossFire 16/8 while 880GX is 16/4.
I saw that there full ATX size 880GX and 870 motherboards too..

I am looking to replace my MA790XT-UD4P motherboard with GA-890GPA-UD3H and not sure if i should go with it or with some lesser chipset

The motherboards with the better chipsets are generally more focused towards enthusiasts, so they tend to have more overclocking features, better phase control, improved PCIE lanes, faster SATA, extra features such as bluetooth etc.

If you're going to be using a discrete video card the 870s are not a bad choice. Some of the manufacurers make an "Extreme" or "Military" version 870 which seem to be electronically sturdier than the 880s with better heatsinks on the chipset and mosfets. Some of them actually seem to be better than the lower end 890s.

I've got an 890GPA-UD3H

I wonder how will the side port memory help me. In what part does it figure?

In a typical scheme: HDD --> RAM --> NB --> CPU

Where does the side port memory stand?

I think side port memory is faster than system memory but only benefits the IGP. If you will be using a separate graphics card I don't think it comes into play.

Back