• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

92mm fan for Thermalright AX-478 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sloppydirk

Registered
I'm not sure if a 92mm fan fits the AX-47 ?!

I read on Thermalright homepage that it fit, there was even a package with 92mm fan.

But found no comments to that...

Anyone using a 92mm ?!

How did you connect it to the heatsink ?

Thanks..

(want to go back to Thermalright, parts of my SK6 still lives as a selfmade IHS for my mobile celeron...)

What direction should the fan blow ?

From the DIE away, or to the DIE ?

I tried one. Without some kind of adapter, the screw holes will not work. What I did was just drill some holes through the fan chassis using an 80mm fan as a guide. I had better results with an 80 of the same output though. I figure the center hub of the 92 was the culprit. Maybe, if you gut an 80 and then rotate the 92 by 45 degrees and then glue it to the 80, that would not only give you some mount holes but would also serve as a throttle body to eliminate the center hub blockage. Now reading what I just wrote makes me sad I didn't try it myself.

Fan blows into the heatsink. I tried the other way and cooling was way worse plus the fins make the air make some strange sounds when sucking air through them.

I figure the center hub of the 92 was the culprit. Maybe, if you gut an 80 and then rotate the 92 by 45 degrees and then glue it to the 80, that would not only give you some mount holes but would also serve as a throttle body to eliminate the center hub blockage

will try this, it should give the voltage regulator near the cpu socket some extra cooling, too.

Thanks for the suggestion !

Am I the only one who has never heard of this Thermalright offering?
Either it is so new it's not on Thermalrights page, or it's archived so far back I can't find the thing.

Hey thanks for the info Fan Man, thought I was seeing things. I thought the only Thermalright sink to have a screw on fan, in the last 3 years or so would be the Mighty AX 7

finally I decided to take a 80mm fan...

the fan sits a little bit above the heatsink itself...
album_pic.php

to optimize ventilation and provide fresh air to the voltage regulators I made a blowwhole in the left side (fan blowing in)...

album_pic.php

the fan on the rear side is no longer in use, detached it...

album_pic.php

result:

now cpu @3101@1,675V
cpu 47 mb 37 degrees celcius @Prime95

this is 3 Mhz FSB & 52 Mhz cpu more..
... cpu 7 degrees lower than before, mb 13 lower !

Finally I mounted a 92mm fan on my AX-478.

It's a Zalman 92mm PS922512H 3,36 Watt, rated 2800 rpm / 60 cbm @12V and 1600 / 35 cbm @5,5V

Instead of screws I used a double-sided tape normally used to fix mirrors on a wall.
This will prevent any vibrations from the fan on the cooler, too.

Temperatures @5V are minimal better, but I think it's nice --> bigger fans !

maybe I should mount a 120mm instead of the 80mm in the left side of my case blwoing some air on the heatsink !

I used a 80mm Smartcooler fan 12V 2500 U/min running @7V around 1500 U/min.

ax_80.jpg

ax_80_2.jpg

Here is the 92mm running only @5V , silent

ax_92_1.jpg

ax_92_2.jpg

Back