• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970 chipset gets insanely hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

Hello everyone. Recently my buddy got an fx8320e and MSI 970 gaming board. We used stock cooler just to make sure it all boots etc. We happened to have the side of the case off during windows install and the computer was POURING heat out the side. Touching the northbridge heatsink, it was absolutely scalding hot. The cpu was properly seated, and Temps for the cpu were fine. Cpu was at bone stock. As were all motherboard settings.

My encoding server is also run by an fx8320e and a 970 chipset motherboard. Same deal. Ridiculously hot and doing nothing but idling at the desktop. We've since returned his stuff and went Intel, but my server is well beyond the return date and I've only just noticed this problem. Why is this? Is this something to do with the e series of fx chips? Because I've seen and heard of people using the same 970 MSI board to overclock standard 8320/50s pretty heavy without issue.

I know I could always undervolt and underclock the cpu, but to me, that is out of the question. Didn't pay money to purposely gimp hardware just so it won't kill itself

Any help on this issue would be of great value. Please and thanks.

Because I've seen and heard of people using the same 970 MSI board to overclock standard 8320/50s pretty heavy without issue.
What do you consider "pretty heavy"?
Generally MSI and AMD is a bad mix.
Put a fan on the NB sink......and some new TIM.
Don't forget to address the VRM section with a fan either.

Didn't pay money to purposely gimp hardware just so it won't kill itself
Should have bought a better board then.

What do you consider "pretty heavy"?
Generally MSI and AMD is a bad mix.
Put a fan on the NB sink......and some new TIM.
Don't forget to address the VRM section with a fan either.

Should have bought a better board then.

Guy had his 8320 @ 4.6 ghz and northbridge hest was never an issue. My fx8320e at stock 3.4 make it a small furnace. My board is asrock 970m and the MSI board is far from trash. My old asrock 970 ext3 never had this problem either.

So if I am to gather info from what you're saying, I need an 8 phase top tier board to run a bone stock 95w tdp chip? I came from an fx9370. So I know all about needing vrm section that is up to the task.

Basically.........yes. That's what I'm telling you.
Also, MSI != Asrock.

Last edited:
Basically.........yes.

I find this very hard to believe. What do vrm sections on a motherboard have to do with the northbridge getting crazy hot? The vrm are usually cool to the touch. Only the nb seems to be going nuts. Which is why I asked about a possible correlation to each series chips and maybe motherboard bios?

I find this very hard to believe.
You're looking right at the proof. You said yourself that you never had this problem with your Asrock board.
There are at least a dozen others here that don't have that problem with any of their top tier boards either.
Blame MSI.

and the MSI board is far from trash
I disagree.

You're looking right at the proof. You said yourself that you never had this problem with your Asrock board.
There are at least a dozen others here that don't have that problem with any of their top tier boards either.
Blame MSI.

I disagree.

No sorry. Should clarify. The MSI board AND my 970m currently have this problem. Both have fx8320e chips. My old 970 ext3 with a standard 8320 non e version is currently in use by a friend. He doesn't have this issue. As for MSI being bad or good, I know they're not the greatest, but I mean there a way worse ones in the market. The 970 gaming is better than the $35 bargain bin boards is what I was getting at. Meaning enough to at least run a cpu stock without nb getting stupid hot.

Just get as much air in there as you can. These chips all run hot if your 8320 does well on the EXT3 you got lucky in my opinion. You don't necessarily NeeD a top teir board but for the money there are much better ones out there that will handle an 8 core FX like this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651 that's as cheap as I would ever go with an 8 core CPU.

Infinite66 said:
my 970m currently have this problem
I have read the complete thread trying to determine what motherboard is a 970m.

I am with MrScott in that I don't trust the cheaper boards. But that is because many of us in here that pro-offer free help, push our systems much harder than some do. And where some might get by, most of us have proven at least to our ownselves that weak VRM boards just don't do the job for us so we would not be using the weaker board for any hands on experience.

Now the previous paragraph aside, I cannot think of but one other user thru the AMD forum sections that might have had an 'e' series cpu and he made absolutely n0 mention of any hot NB problems. As I remember he was using a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard though. So not any real data base of 'e' series FX processor issues. I can see n0 reason for the NB heatsink to be any different on an 'e' series processor than a non-'e' series processor. I mean the 'e' series is de-clocked to make it into a lower TDP rating so that should run cooler and not warmer. It really sounds like a board specific problem with the NB cooler. Certainly on the surface that would seem the problem with a de-clocked cpu that should run cooler not warmer.

The only proof is likely to be determined in one or the other of two ways. Go to a non-'e' cpu or get a heavier rated motherboard.

RGone...

MSI + FX is a recipe for a fire, I've seen it happen multiple times on this forum.
Literal fire, not metaphorically.

Also, the MSI 970 Gaming is basically untested on these forums, but we could've saved you headache if you'd asked about what board to get before buying a piece of kindling.

RMA the board then if you are unhappy with it.

I think I got the two year warranty on the board from microcenter. I honestly think I'll just return it and get something better.

I have read the complete thread trying to determine what motherboard is a 970m.

I am with MrScott in that I don't trust the cheaper boards. But that is because many of us in here that pro-offer free help, push our systems much harder than some do. And where some might get by, most of us have proven at least to our ownselves that weak VRM boards just don't do the job for us so we would not be using the weaker board for any hands on experience.

Now the previous paragraph aside, I cannot think of but one other user thru the AMD forum sections that might have had an 'e' series cpu and he made absolutely n0 mention of any hot NB problems. As I remember he was using a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard though. So not any real data base of 'e' series FX processor issues. I can see n0 reason for the NB heatsink to be any different on an 'e' series processor than a non-'e' series processor. I mean the 'e' series is de-clocked to make it into a lower TDP rating so that should run cooler and not warmer. It really sounds like a board specific problem with the NB cooler. Certainly on the surface that would seem the problem with a de-clocked cpu that should run cooler not warmer.
The only proof is likely to be determined in one or the other of two ways. Go to a non-'e' cpu or get a heavier rated motherboard.
RGone...

Yea the whole cooler not warmer thing is exactly why I'm bringing this up in the first place. My air cooled and overclocked 9370 and it's associated north bridge ran way cooler. Granted this was on an ext9 and then sabertooth. So board quality may be the issue. This is my server board by the way. First of its kind. First 970 chipset matx board.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M Pro3/

MSI + FX is a recipe for a fire, I've seen it happen multiple times on this forum.
Literal fire, not metaphorically.

Also, the MSI 970 Gaming is basically untested on these forums, but we could've saved you headache if you'd asked about what board to get before buying a piece of kindling.

The offending MSI board and chip has been returned. He is now running an lga 1150 xeon on an asrock h97m. My board I figured wouldn't be an issue as I've used asrock stuff in the past without problems.

Guy had his 8320 @ 4.6 ghz and northbridge hest was never an issue. My fx8320e at stock 3.4 make it a small furnace. My board is asrock 970m and the MSI board is far from trash. My old asrock 970 ext3 never had this problem either.

So if I am to gather info from what you're saying, I need an 8 phase top tier board to run a bone stock 95w tdp chip? I came from an fx9370. So I know all about needing vrm section that is up to the task.

Biostar makes better AM3+ boards than MSI. Maybe with the lone exception of the GD-80

Honestly since this seems like a problem with 970 chipset overall, I think I'll just return my current board and pony up the extra cash for a 990fx chipset board.

- - - Updated - - -

Biostar makes better AM3+ boards than MSI. Maybe with the lone exception of the GD-80

Sad but true it seems. I'll avoid MSI stuff from here on out.

Honestly since this seems like a problem with 970 chipset overall, I think I'll just return my current board and pony up the extra cash for a 990fx chipset board.

Very honestly I did not realize that the 970M Pro3 was mATX. Just about nobody risked making an mATX motherboard for FX processors. However Asrock has a habit of venturing out into areas noone else will risk. In this case it may have bitten back and you as well. I was led to understand that most manufacturers just felt like the real estate might be too cramped to displace the heat of FX processors on mATX format. True or not is unknown for real to me. Had no idea that Asrock had done an mATX and when I saw the cut-back NB sink as it neared the first PCIe slot, am not overly surprised that the heat sink may feel really hot. Plus the fin type they use on the NB heatsink is very prone to feel hot with the small individual spires that stick up and touch our hands in tiny hot areas.

If you can return the mobo and get a better board that is a very good deal I imagine.

$87.99 >> GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I would n0t buy this board for my 'own' wild escapades in overclocking with all cores on at once but I hate to see you spend a lot for what you say is your server mobo. However in a general user format with overclocking not an issue, it is way cheaper than some other boards. We have seen this board in use and in general has a good report if overclocking to +4.5GHz is not on the table.

I even notice the Egg has it for less than $50.00 Open Box and $65.00 called REfurbished. So it should not be so expensive anywhere.

RGone...

I ran my server on a 970A-UD3 for a couple of years with an FX-6300 @ 4GHz.
It was the predecessor to the board RGone linked.

Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions guys. My local microcenter seems to be getting rather Scarce with their selection of am3+ motherboards. I don't buy boards from online because I've been burnt in the past with a doa board and RMA refusal. I was just going to buckle and buy a 990fx chipset board for $130, but ended up returning the chip as well and going for an i3 & h97 board. This pc is used to host a file/print server the vast majority of the time and I encode Blu ray rips maybe once a week. So while my encoding tines have increased due to only having 4 threads now as opposed to 8, I have way less heat generation and fan noise. My room is no longer 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house when I get home.

I'll give amd another shot when then drop Zen. Until then, their Fx series just seems like too much of a hassle.

Back