• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

970 Overclocking issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
. . . If you CPU is a B.E. don't OC using the BUS.

I think all of us helping him were assuming it was not a BE CPU but now that I research it it appears that it indeed is. True, it is much simpler to overclock just using the multiplier but it is also true that more stable overclocks at lower voltages seem to result from using a combination of the system bus and the multiplier. Why? No one seems to know but experience teaches us it is generally so. And he has a pretty decent overclock going now so maybe he shouldn't mess with it.

I think all of us helping him were assuming it was not a BE CPU but now that I research it it appears that it indeed is. True, it is much simpler to overclock just using the multiplier but it is also true that more stable overclocks at lower voltages seem to result from using a combination of the system bus and the multiplier. Why? No one seems to know but experience teaches us it is generally so. And he has a pretty decent overclock going now so maybe he shouldn't mess with it.

This is news to me, I always believe it so to be otherwise.
I reckon I should try it then! :thup:

The other thing I would point out is that the Deneb core CPUs sometimes have trouble running ram at 1600 mhz and if they can you generally have to relax the timings to keep it stable which negates some of the benefit of the higher frequency. The Thuban core CPUs have stouter integrated memory controllers and can handle 1600 mhz reliably. And the FX CPU have a still stouter IMC and can easily handle 1800 mhz.

This is news to me, I always believe it so to be otherwise.
I reckon I should try it then! :thup:

8 times out of 10 I would choose a multi overclock if the processor is unlocked. Reliability wise it's easier to compartmentalize your OC by just using the multipliers. It's also easier to troubleshoot a component like ram, NB or CPU by bringing it down a couple notches on the multi and testing again. Versus an FSB overclock, where everything is running higher than advertised and you've got "more balls in the air" at the same time, so to speak.

Guess either way will work, and if your OC is stable, why mess with it. @ 4.077 ghz is a good O/C for any Phenom II. As to the IMC reliability issue with the denab. Its mostly with the divider (denab's like to remain at 3.33). On the systems I've set up I was able to run the FSB at 240 MHz and keep the memory ratio at 1333, which equates to 1600Mhz, with the XMP timings. I've never had to bump timings or voltage to get the memory stable with this configuration. I can only say this worked on the 4 systems I built and apparently some other folks have had the same luck from what I've seen online.

Leave the Bus at 200, get the CPU-NB at 2400MHz 1.250v and set your ram at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.5. Also set the LLC to High or Ultra High, in my personal experience they are the same.

IMHO, you should do that first before actually OC'ing the CPU itself. Once that is stable you can do the later.
If you CPU is a B.E. don't OC using the BUS.

I went ahead and took this route. Seems like I was able to finally change the ram timings without it locking up on me. I went with the manufacturers timings to 9-10-9-28 2T @ 1600 stable. Computer is running great at 40c idle.

Again, thank you all.

Also, I was going to mess around with the 7870 but I don't feel comfortable overclocking my GPU at all and it's a good card at the moment but I'm probably going to upgrade to a 7990 the moment it drops to around 400 bucks.

EbLDl2w.png

Last edited:
Glad I was of assistance, cheers.
By the way, I think those manufacturer timings are for 1866, you could set it to 9-9-9 at the rated voltage, is worth the try I reckon.
I don't see the need to OC that GPU, since I'm pretty sure you won't see any FPS increase in games, albeit you might in benchmarks.

Last edited:
Back