• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

975BE or new MB and CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samoyed5665

Registered
I have a 3 yr old setup with a 955BE @ 3.3. Socket AM3 ....not AM3+

I can get a new 975BE for $200 and probably OC it to 4ghz OR get a new modest MB and quad core CPU. I don't do much gaming anymore.

What is the BEST NEW 4 core AMD CPU currently available for the money? What is a modest OCing MB for that CPU? I don't need 8 cores and limited by a 600w PS, DDR3 1600 ram. I'll go with a Zalman air cooler and a well ventilated case.

Opinions? I'm not up on the latest AMD CPU OCing abilities.

Buy an SSD instead, don't upgrade your CPU if you don't need too. Less boot times and program load will make your PC significantly faster than before if you're still using an HDD.

955BE << most of those things on good boards with good cpu cooler will almost all do 3.8Ghz and do away with any need to buy a newer cpu and then get an SSD for the speed such can bring to opening and closing of apps and booting and just sort of general overall quicker rig.

Without knowing what mobo you have now it is not possible to suggest if what you own currently might do the job.
RGone...ster.

955BE << most of those things on good boards with good cpu cooler will almost all do 3.8Ghz and do away with any need to buy a newer cpu and then get an SSD for the speed such can bring to opening and closing of apps and booting and just sort of general overall quicker rig.

Without knowing what mobo you have now it is not possible to suggest if what you own currently might do the job.
RGone...ster.

I have 2 SSDs already. The current CPU stock runs at 3.0. It's a 945 not 955 It used to OC to 3.6 with voltage tweaks. Now it can only hold 3.3. The Gigabyte MB can do it. We are really back to the question of: Would a NEW VERSION 4 core AMD CPU and MB be a better choice. Perhaps some of the new ones can run at 4.5 or so? I don't know.

Would a NEW VERSION 4 core AMD CPU and MB be a better choice. Perhaps some of the new ones can run at 4.5 or so? I don't know.

H*ll hardly any Phenom2. will do 4.5Ghz. And to move to an FX-4 core, you really need pretty good cooling and actually pretty good mobo to do 4.5Ghz on the 4 core FX processors which will run that fast and they better since maybe 4.5Ghz on 4 core FX, 'might' out game an FX-955BE or 965BE overclocked to 3.8 to 4.0Ghz and again pretty good board and cooling required.
RGone...ster.

I have to agree with Rgone, find a used 955 or 965 or even a thuban. the investment to make an fx run is just to much, now that there will be no more for that socket.

you can get a 4 core phenom to 3.8 on good air and they are little monsters.

Microcenter, provided you have one near will net you a GA990FX-UD3 & an FX8320 for just under 200, or an fx8350 for 230.00. Kind of hard to justify the upgrade to another phenom II for the same money.

I have a 3 yr old setup with a 955BE @ 3.3. Socket AM3 ....not AM3+

I can get a new 975BE for $200 and probably OC it to 4ghz OR get a new modest MB and quad core CPU. I don't do much gaming anymore.

What is the BEST NEW 4 core AMD CPU currently available for the money? What is a modest OCing MB for that CPU? I don't need 8 cores and limited by a 600w PS, DDR3 1600 ram. I'll go with a Zalman air cooler and a well ventilated case.

Opinions? I'm not up on the latest AMD CPU OCing abilities.

$200 for a cpu that will run tops 400 MHz faster than what you have would be a waste of money. I would stick with what you have. Like RGone said, you should be able to get that 955BE to at least 3800 MHz if you have a decent board and cooling. Sometimes you want that new toy but in this case save it for a real upgrade down the road.

I have a 3 yr old setup with a 955BE @ 3.3. Socket AM3

You know you really need to EDIT that first post and CORRECT the cpu you actually have. We have wasted a lot of time by not knowing you have a locked 945 Cpu and not the 955BE you said you had. Garbage in equal garbage out.

I doubt a would give $200 for a new 975BE, but instead would give $100 plus or minus for a used 955BE or 965BE and overclock its' young booty to 3.8 to 4.0Ghz with good air cooling on a pretty good mobo if you already have same for a mobo.
RGone...ster.

Buy a 960T. At worst, you have a quad core CPU that overclocks quite well to about 3.8-4.0 with minimal effort. At best, you unlock it to an X6 and overclock to almost the same amount.
Assuming that your motherboard can do any of that, which frankly is difficult to guess at since we don't know anything about your system.

WTFO???...

...I do not get it. GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0/1.1) rev. 1.2 rev. 3.0
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#ov
Now I have been to this website more than a few times to where the odd970-UD3 has been shown and have seen the 970-UD3 Rev. 4.0 shown many times. In fact we have had users in here with the Rev 4.0. Now where or what has Giga done with the UD3. No Rev 4.0 anymore!!! Crazy.

...I do not get it. GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0/1.1) rev. 1.2 rev. 3.0
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#ov
Now I have been to this website more than a few times to where the odd970-UD3 has been shown and have seen the 970-UD3 Rev. 4.0 shown many times. In fact we have had users in here with the Rev 4.0. Now where or what has Giga done with the UD3. No Rev 4.0 anymore!!! Crazy.

RGone, the 990FXA-UD3 has a Rev4, but the 970A-UD3 only goes to Rev3 after that it was replaced by the 970A-UD3P.

Back