• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

975BE with ram clearance cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goin postal

Registered
looking for a heatsink for a 975BE that will give me clearance for vengance(high profile memory) hyper212+ is on my short list but dont know if it will give me clearance or not. also considering MUX120 but does only the black version come with AMD brackets. should i be lookin some where else??

Whether or not a heatsink fits is going to be determined by the motherboard. It looks like a tower setup should work fine, but you may have to run the fan on the opposite side of the RAM or simply move it higher up on the heatsink.

The one you suggested should fit fine. A bit more expensive one would be the Megahalems. Make sure that the heatsink can be turned 90 degrees on AMD systems.

You move the CPU fan to a pull setup because of ram problems, the air will lso be pulled from the sides, close to the fan. This removes some of the HS ability to remove heat.

One fan, PUSH is always better.

I await condemnation and total:rofl: with this theory.

Hokie etc, what do your tests show? :popcorn:

The MUX120 should fit just fine and give clearance with the first ram slot. A Megahalems is too thick and the fan will interfere with the first ram slot.

If you are on a budget, I would recommend getting a Cogage True Spirit for $31.99 and buy a TR AM2/AM3 mount adapter for $7.99. The TS is the same heatsink as the MUX, just not prettied up with nickel plating on the heatpipes and both of those come in at a lesser cost than a regular non-Black MUX, which you would still have to buy the mount for anyways. And when I tested it out, the TS front fan did clear the first ram slot on my AM2 test board. One other thing though is that the TS doesn't come with 2 sets of wire fan clips, just 1 set. So if you want to run a push pull setup you will need to buy an extra set of fan clips for $2.99. Those are the correct fan clips for the TS, BTW.

Back