• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990fx ud7 and 8120 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am thinking that i may have posted the wrong screenshots. I just double checked the bios and ...
cpu clock = x21 (4200)
cpb disabled
c1e disabled
cnq disabled
apm master mode enabled ( now disabled)
cpu voltage +.075

Thew only reason I changed the ram settings is because that is what I had it running at before but must have changed back to 1333 before original screenshots. (I now have it back to 1333)
here is current screenshot....
WIll re run tests asap and post new HW info

Well I am hitting 55 in about 45 seconds now and only thing I changed was the ram back and turned apm off....

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Now, that's looking like it should but you will need to stress test it to check temps at those higher frequencies and voltages and to check for stability.

Had to drop voltage to +.25 and mutliplier to 20.5. also just realized that prime 95 is running 8 workers opposed to 6 , does this make a difference?
temp peaks at 55 but seems to be almost consistant at 53.
Running +.25 and 21 multiplier I was good at about same temps until around 15 minutes in to test then temps skyrocketed to 62 within a minute

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 32
P95 should be running eight workers as there are eight cores (or at least, there are sort of eight cores).

You will need to run a longer than 20 minute Prime95 test to confirm stability but there are some tweaks that need to happen first. I've got to be somewhere and I'll check later tonight.

ok I will run prime 95 for like an hr and post new hw monitor. Is there a Temp that I should shut down at. I know you said 55 is the wall, but if I was to be preoccupied and notice it running at 65 would that be a cpu killer?

Okay, we're talking about core temps, right? I would not allow the ore temps to go higher than 57 C for safety sake as I think they are reading artificially low anyway. Why do I say that? Because your minimum core temp is 17c. That'ts lower than room temp and that's impossible on air cooling.

You didn't answer my question form an above post yet. Did you build this system or have it built?

Yes the case was custom built, It is wood/plexiglass case. Similair to the one here...http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-ufo-cube-case-uvblue.html
differences being, HDD below mother board with psu with 2 80 mm fans, one blow in one out. Top has 2 120 mm fans( plus 120 mm fan on heatsink) fan blows out on cpu side and fan 2 blows in on far side of case. ALso has vent port near cpu heatsink.
I ran prime again for last hr and kept detailed notes of temp changes.
22 mins-30mins= 60 c
30 mins = steady 57
35-51 minutes steady 56
160 mins skyrocketed to 65C and I shut it down

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38 KB · Views: 31
"mrbudders" you now have a star below your name and plenty of posts to use the signature feature of the forum.

Sigs are pretty easy.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

Thanks for the details about the case. That helps to get an idea of the quality of its ventilation which is very important to keeping temps down. I am at a loss as to why the temp skyrocketd after 160 minutes of running time. Usually the temps reach a max after 20 minutes and that's why I advise test runs of that length. One thing is obvious, however, and that is your CPU cooler is inadequated for the job.

I followed your link to NewEgg and clicked on "reviews" and within the first 4 or 5 user reviews, this is what I see. That cooler likely does not stand a snowballs chance of keeping the heat of an FX processor in check. Those cpus are HOT.

1st Customer Reviewer >> Cons: - Not as effective as a larger, heavier tower-style CPU cooler
Same user again says >> Although it isn't as effective as a tower-style cooler

2nd Customer Reviewer >> AMD 125W 3.5ghz quad core tops out at 64* with this cooler!
[I don't call that very cool.]

3rd Customer Reviewer >> Cons: Worse performance than my KINGWIN XT-1264 (120mm tower with 4 heatpipes).
My cpu temperature never breaks 60°C with my tower in IntelBurnTest but this GeminII does.
( Notice: For daily usage this GeminII is adequate. )

PS: Thanks for signature.:)

A lot of people are saying the 8 core FX CPUs really need to be cooled with water to be overclocked.

Rgone, what would be your recommendation? At this time a new cooler is not an option. I had read the reviews and there was many more positive responses than negative ("this cooler lowered my idle 20 degrees C IDLE! quite an improvement over the stock cooler. At load, it decreased the peak temperature by 18 degrees C. WOW, that's impressive!! This cooler has allowed me overclocking headroom and I won't worry about my RAM overheating because it blows directly onto the sticks." example)
I am also thinking of adding 1 or 2 more 120 mm fans located directly next to the cpu. Should I have these as exhaust or intake? Do you think with the addition of the extra fans the cooler will be adequate?

One thing you could do that would help a little bit is to put a more powerful fan on the heatsink. But the tradeoff would be more noise. And more case fans or replacing the ones you have with more powerful ones might help some. That custom case you have makes it difficult to evaluate your ventilation and to make recommendations. Generally, you want the air to be moving from front low to rear high on a tower style case but your case is shaped more like a square box.

Were the positive responses you read in the reviews relative to customers using the cooler with the 8 core FXs? That cooler would be fine for a lesser CPU.

Back