• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions before greatly overclocking my Q9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was going to run an memtest86+ to see how the ram was doing, but I don't have any blank CD's >< I'll run a Blend in the mean time. As for my timings, I had them at 5-4-4-12 but then I read this http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html and thought I'd see if it'd boot following those formulas, and it did. I'll see what a Blend test does to it in any case.

Let y'all know how the 3.5v and 4.0GHz attempt goes too! Wish me some luck ;-)

PS I just saw I could boot memtest86+ from my usb drive (I think?), so I'll do that instead of a blend. memtest86+ is a much more hardcore RAM test is it not?

I'm not really sure, but Large-FFT is a little more concentrated for RAM/FSB than Blend. Blend just goes back and forth b/n Large-FFT and Small-FFT, so it never really stresses the CPU or RAM/NB very hard for more that about 15mins at a time.

I use Large-FFT, memtest86+ (via floppy or USB), and OCCT custom 2hr RAM test to stress test my RAM/FSB. I feel that any of these stress test is not better than another, but running them all is the best way to ensure total stability.

I just use Large-FFT for a few minutes at first to get in the ballpark, and once that passes overnight I run the others to ensure that I've covered it from every angle.

I think there is another one called HCI (or something) that is also supposed to be pretty good at stressing the RAM...haven't tried it yet.

Memtest ONLY tests the RAM as opposed to blend/large tests CPU along with it. At least thats how I understood it.

./shrug, I'll run a memtest. I've always hear the blend described as the heaviest ram testing prime95 does but I dunno, I'm new ;-) In any case, 10 hour Blend with no errors at the same settings as the small fft I did.

Sorry if you mentioned this, but you say you ran it at those speeds (1066) and timings on memtest and it passed? But not in Prime blend? Correct?

No, I've never ran a memtest. I had the ram at 1066 several posts ago before I realized I could do a "Sync Mode" with my bios. Now I'm running it in that mode at 425 FSB so the RAM is also (meaning 850 MHz). It did run a 10+ Hours small FFT and Blend test stable at the old settings of 3.6 GHz (x9 Multiplier 400 FSB) and the RAM is at 1066 (3/2 ratio) with 5-4-4-12-31 when I had it at those settings on July 19th. I've since been using the 1:1 ratio sync mode so I could get my FSB higher, which has worked. It now has ran a 10+ hours Small FFT and Blend test stable at these settings,

3.825 GHz (425 FSB) with a ratio of 1:1 (meaning ram was at 850 MHz) with timings 5-4-4-11-15
Voltages are:
Vcore 1.3v
FSB 1.3V
RAM 2v
NB 1.5v

All cores stayed between 54* to 59*

That is a summary of all that has happened, hope that clears up any confusion.
Ask any questions if not. Thank you all for all the input and comments, great help and encouragement!

I ran memtest86+ for 2 passes (like 4 hours? I didn't really keep track) with no errors. I'll run it longer prob tonight / tomorrow to make sure. I think I like this "nForce 680i" underdog board. I really want to see how far it will go stable on air.

Back