• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions on oc'ing the i5 2500k.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frenzyy

Hi everyone, I created an account on this forum as I'm looking for some help when it comes to overclocking my cpu as well as gpu (further). I'm not a pro or anything so please don't be too harsh if I don't know something or have done something wrong.
Without wasting anymore of your time, let's get to my setup as it is probably the most important part.
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3Ghz OC @ 4.4Ghz- Tested with AIDA 64 Extreme. The temps never went above 60 degrees but the voltage was going all the way up to 1.4v which was a bit worrying for me and that's why I decided to get some help here. It was actually stable @ 4.5Ghz but when I went up to 4.6Ghz and restarted my pc, it wouldn't turn on so I decided to go back to 4.4.
Cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock 210
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G (I have created a separate topic when it comes to this so if you would also like to help then here is the link: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-ing-the-MSI-GTX-970-4G?p=7791031#post7791031 )
Mobo: AsRock P67 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB RipjawsX 1600 CL9
PSU: OCZ 650W

If you need any more information about my setup then I'm more than happy to answer your questions as well as if you want me to do any other tests a part from AIDA then again, I'm more than happy to do so.
Now the questions:
1. What would you suggest when it comes to setting the voltage? I mean what is the best maximum value I should set?
2. What are the max. temperatures which will allow me to run even 24/7 if needs be? (It's not going to run 24/7 but I'd prefer to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean. :p)
3. What do you recommend I should do in order to get the most out of this CPU?

In other words, what do I need to do (If it's possible to get anything more out of this cpu ofc) in order to get some higher clocks on it. Also, if there are some threads already which answer at least some of my questions then I'm of course willing to go and have a look at them. :)
Thanks in advance.

1. Each CPU is different. The name of the game is to get the lowest stable voltage for a given overclock while keeping temperatures in order. You have to test and find out.
2. Keep it under 85C while stress testing which should yield at least 10C less doing anything else.
3. Test it and find out the highest overclock your cooling can handle at the lowest voltage for stability.

Welcome!!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for the quick responses!
Ok so let's say I set it to 4.5Ghz but I would like it to take less voltage, can I just 'slide it' to the left by a few marks in order to go down to let's say 1.35 or do you not recommend doing this?
Oh and one more thing- what increase in performance would I get from 4.5 to e.g. 4.7/8? Is is even worth trying or will the performance be near to not noticeable?

"Slide it"...... sounds like windows... do your work in the BIOS. But yes, as I said, that is the name of the game is to, for a given clock, use the lowest voltage for stability. Each chip being different you have to test it yourself.

Not much outside of benchmarks. 4.5GHz is a good middle ground really.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Ok so let's say I set it to 4.5Ghz but I would like it to take less voltage, can I just 'slide it' to the left by a few marks in order to go down to let's say 1.35 or do you not recommend doing this?
Oh and one more thing- what increase in performance would I get from 4.5 to e.g. 4.7/8? Is is even worth trying or will the performance be near to not noticeable?

That statement makes it quite obvious that you haven't read the guide I linked.
It covers stuff you're asking about very well.

So the only thing that can happen due to me lowering the voltage too much is... Crashes?

More or less, yes.

As ATM said, check out that guide. It should knock a bit of n00b out of ya.. hehe! :)

Well, please come back after you check the guide and do your thing/have questions. The guide will just get the basics out of the way. :)

1. What would you suggest when it comes to setting the voltage? I mean what is the best maximum value I should set?
2. What are the max. temperatures which will allow me to run even 24/7 if needs be? (It's not going to run 24/7 but I'd prefer to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean. :p)
3. What do you recommend I should do in order to get the most out of this CPU?

Did you read the guide? ATM linked it. To answer your questions:

1) the highest voltage you can go with safely without possibly causing any sort of immediate degradation, as far as I can recall, on Sandybridge, is about 1.44V. However, most 2500Ks will do 4.5Ghz on 1.35V or less. You should play with load line calibration to try to get what you set in the bios as close as possible to what you get in Windows. Read the guide and the rest of the thread. Pretty much any possible question is answered there if you read the whole thing.

2) The max temp the cpu can handle without throttling is somewhere between 95-100C. Realistically you should try to keep it blow 80 for any sort of prolonged period. This is in an ideal world. With the stock cooler, these things get a fair bit warmer. This is also covered in the guide.

3) Read the guide, follow the guide, then ask questions if you get stuck.

Back