• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few qustions on FX-8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I've hit a wall on oc'n this thing at 4.5Ghz. My problem is I've searched endlessly and I can't find what stock voltage is for this CPU. Right now I'm running +0.100 I don't know how safe going higher is. Got to be happy with a 1Ghz overclock but temps are good and I'd like to try for a bit more. Also there's a setting who's name I've forgotten right now, that says 1 core per pu, 2 cores per CPU, 4 cores per CPU, 6 cores per CPU. I have it set to auto since I don't know what it means. So can someone please tell me what that means and what's the best setting?:confused:
This UEFI bios thing can be confusing. I'm sure it's better as it allows access to more settings but too much information just confuses people.

Stock is what your CPU shows under load in windows... Each CPU has a different VID. ;)

As far as overclocking AMD, out of my realm... have you read the guide in my signature?

Even CPUs of the same model will ship from the factory with different stock voltages. Until you get up into the 1.55+ range of CPU voltage you don't need to be concerned with harming the CPU as long as package temps and CPU socket temps are under control. Temp is more important than actual CPU voltage so make sure you monitor your package and your mottherboard/CPU socket temps with HWMonitor when you stress test. With the board you are using there will be some limits inherent in the capability of the motherboard's electronics, particularly the VRM area. Have you stress tested your overclock yet with the Prime95 blend test to make sure it's stable? You would need to pass at least two hours of that blend test. And watch for thermal throttling as well.

For my FX 8350 to go from 4.5@ 1.41V to 4.64. I was up to 1.474v that was 24/7 stable

Even CPUs of the same model will ship from the factory with different stock voltages. Until you get up into the 1.55+ range of CPU voltage you don't need to be concerned with harming the CPU as long as package temps and CPU socket temps are under control. Temp is more important than actual CPU voltage so make sure you monitor your package and your mottherboard/CPU socket temps with HWMonitor when you stress test. With the board you are using there will be some limits inherent in the capability of the motherboard's electronics, particularly the VRM area. Have you stress tested your overclock yet with the Prime95 blend test to make sure it's stable? You would need to pass at least two hours of that blend test. And watch for thermal throttling as well.

I haven't gone to 2 hours yet but I did do about 1 hour with no problems and the highest temp 50C but typically 48-49C. I'll do a longer test before proceeding. The ambient temp in this room gets high. Thermostat says 74 but in her it's 76+. I will lower it when it gets that warm. I won't even test although it would likely be fine. What about the cores per CPU thing? What does 2 or 4 or 6 cores per CPU mean? I have read the guide for overclocking Sledgehammer. I guess it would be similar to Vishera.

What about the cores per CPU thing? What does 2 or 4 or 6 cores per CPU mean? = Pretty sure it is described in the manual, but sounds like it is where you can disable some fo the cores for whatever reason.

I have read the guide for overclocking Sledgehammer. I guess it would be similar to Vishera.= Not really enough difference to be noticeable even under a microscope. But the two cpu series are Bulldozer and the later Vishsera.
RGone...

Back