• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A frivolous and seemingly unimportant thing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ancient11

Registered
A mouse is a lowly thing, and a seemingly unimportant thing, but when you have rheumatoid arthritis, it really takes on a completely new meaning!

There is fit and comfort and then there is functionality. I have the mouse that I consider to be a perfect fit and comfort for when my arthritis is really acting up, but there is a problem. It has 4 side buttons near the thumb and during these times, the only feelings you have in your thumb is pain and I am constantly accidentally hitting these buttons. I hate them – smile.

I have considered using superglue, but I am worried it will whick into the mouse and ruin it. I thought I would get some suggestions from you knowledgeable people before I ruin my mouse.
Thank you very much for your consideration.

The first thing I tried was using the software to disable the buttons, I thought possibly I was doing something wrong, so I had three other people go through the software settings. It still messes up the web browsers when I accidentally hit one of the buttons. It's really annoying, especially when you are answering a post – and lose everything you have written because of it.

I originally was going to try to buy a mouse with the identical shape, but with no auxiliary buttons. Sadly, I can't seem to find one and I don't need those buttons, so why not superglue them – that way they won't aggravate me.

Have you seen the cyborg rat series? Especially the rat 7. It might fit your hands with all its adjustability.

What mouse do you have

How is it connected (USB or PS/2 and are you using a PS/2 to USB adapter)

what version of what software are you using to control the mouse and what is your OS

What mouse do you have

How is it connected (USB or PS/2 and are you using a PS/2 to USB adapter)

what version of what software are you using to control the mouse and what is your OS

Yep. 2 of those were my next questions. if you dont want tto mess with the software, super glue will work. use a very small dot and let it dry upsidedown so the glue drips away from the inside

Its connected USB direct, the mouse is G700 by Logitech and my OS is XP Pro. I am using 5.43.34 Setipoint, driver 5.20.51.. We tried others but came back to this one for it seems to be most compatible with XP Pro.Thats within windows but I mainly use slackware

Next month I will buy my motherboard and finish building my new computer and then I will be using strictly slackware, no windows what so ever.

Its connected USB direct, the mouse is G700 by Logitech and my OS is XP Pro. I am using 5.43.34 Setipoint, driver 5.20.51.. We tried others but came back to this one for it seems to be most compatible with XP Pro.Thats within windows but I mainly use slackware

Next month I will buy my motherboard and finish building my new computer and then I will be using strictly slackware, no windows what so ever.

If you have the correct driver installed and you're reprogramming the buttons it can't possibly not work. Supergluing mouse buttons down is definitely not the best way to go.

I'd say hold off on that until you have someone else come take a look at it who really knows their stuff and can get it set up for you.

Ack, just slackware. So forget perfect driver support. Glue the silly buttons, you just need a drop. You won't mess it up, the buttons are farther in than the glue would ever reach. Mice ain't that expensive either.

Don't have a questionable web page up while dripping glue on the mouse, one mistake and the ER visit can be very embarrassing.:rofl:

I realize that this is an old thread but I never did say what I actually did or how it actually turned out.
I ended up gluing the four button's on the side and it has really improved things. I no longer have the problems and I am really happy that I finally decided to do it.

Back