• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good Motherboard for good OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alegelos

Buying a high end water cooling loop, and planing to get a 3770k.

2 GPUs no more (6970x2, maybe update to 7870x2)
Ram 2400mhz (i guess no more higher, too expensive)

What would be a nice mother for 24/7 high end OC ?

I was thinking about GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3 Z77

any advice?

I buy at Newegg, so no problem. (i also use rebates)

Why did u recommend those mobs? Any advice? And that Gigabyte, it support only 1600mhz on ram :S and its much more expensive.

What about the AsRock one and the Gigabyte i choose?

that Gigabyte, it support only 1600mhz on ram :S and its much more expensive.

What about the AsRock one and the Gigabyte i choose?

1600 MHz is only the official frequency supported by the chipset Z77. Sure you can go higher with this MOBO without any kind of problem ;)

The ASrock extrem4 is a rock solid choice, very well priced. And for "conservative" overclocking( ~4.4 - 4.5 GHz), it is a piece of cake :)

I personally like the UD5H (or UD3H) from gigabyte, or the MSI Z77 GD65 which is really great too.

I never used the Sniper for overcloking, so basically, I don't know.
But...
Simply based on my personnal taste...
I wouldn't go for it just because of these colors :bday:

Between 120 and 160$, the best choice imho are:

Asrock xtrem4
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H
MSI Z77 GD65

Planing to reach 5.0ghz for 24/7 (if can and just for fun with no reason). And also do some nice OC on GPUs (but not extreme here).

Also i change CPU every 6-12 months, and if i change to Intel i will also need to change the mobo :S

The sniper should be fine for overclocking. Plenty of phases, and cooling on it so its good (all others were, I would imagine the newest as well - we are hopefully getting one of them to review asap).

My choice would be the Asrock Extreme 4 as its $110 right now and the other boards dont offer much, if anything over that.

EDIT: 5GHz is likely not a 24/7 overclock. It depends on the chip really.. You will likely need a good one to sit there 24/7.

Whats that think about "newest"? New mobos coming soon? I can wait lol (in order to grab one of those)

Yeah i will go with the Asrock. Like it!

About the 5.0ghz, i think i am building a extreme water cooling loop, so the only limitation about heat would be the ambient temp (winter: 16-20 & summer:20-26). Hope at least it pass the 4.5ghz =/

Are new mobos models coming out soon?

No new mobo's(chipsets) coming out.

I have an 'extreme' water loop (MCR320 and PA120.2 only cooling the CPU) and I cannot get there with my chip (for 24/7 - benching Im good to 5.15GHz). Though to be forthcoming, my chip needs 1.5v for 5GHz so its not the greatest, that is for sure.

What about a i7-2700k in that Asrock that would get you about 5Ghz? It would run cooler plus looking at the charts, there is not that much Diff!

Yes Ajay, you would pass the 5 GHz relatively easily with a 2700K, but you would loose all new features of the Z77 which are more usefull than 400 more MHz at this scale;)

EDIT:

Btw, I love the frequency of your CPU in your sig :D Underclocking pro? :p

Last edited:
I am using an air conditioner radiator as radiator (only rad, not cooling air) + it huge fan. A 35x (not sure if have to use 2). Alphacool xp3 and Supremacy for GPU.

Yes Ajay, you would pass the 5 GHz relatively easily with a 2700K, but you would loose all new features of the Z77 which are more usefull than 400 more MHz at this scale
+1. Stop chasing a magic #. There is little to no point in 4.5GHz to 5GHz (MHz? :p :rofl) for gaming. Just more power use and more heat to deal with for little gains.

Btw, I love the frequency of your CPU in your sig Underclocking pro?
:rofl:

If i chase something easy to reach then it doesnt worth the effort. And its pointless, after u reach it then u will need another goal.

As i said, "just for fun with no reason". Its not about performance, or be faster. It just is.

And a funny way to test me water cooling experiment.

I know that others have had success, but I couldn't get the 2400Mhz tridents to boot successfully at that speed with a 3770k/z77extreme4. I know others have, though, I just thought I'd throw the warning out there.

Back