• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little advice for my first PC build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshmoyer

Hello,
This is my first PC build and i was wondering if these parts would be decent? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/joshmoyer/saved any other advice for my first build would be great. I've done alot of research and i think im ready but i just want some opinions for such a big investment. A few more things, i have mouse, keyboard, monitor, and a stereo system. I'm mostly building this in anticipation for Fallout 4 and for Skyrim, Fallout NV, GTAV etc. My budget isnt really tight, but i dont want to spend a whole lot more than what i already am (close to $900) with wifi adapter, extra case fans etc. Any opinions, suggestions, ideas welcome. Thanks ahead of time :)

looks good, try and run a cord if you can but good choice on card if you can't.

couple preference, longevity notes: PSU: -Corsair cx750m is $5 more right now on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9051&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-051-_-Product
$7 if you rush your $20 back to you.

OS - Windows 8.1 - if you have a usable 7 key, go that route, 10 will be out soon enough and you'll either save some money or all of it with the usual (sorry our last one sucked, here's a free key for the next) and upgrades from older versions are normally $50 or so. Just remember to make your own reinstall disk for hard drive failure as that's what you'd use (and the key) (the installation is a download).

Intel Platform - Could save some money going AMD platform (just being honest, haven't had anything from them since an opteron 160? 8 years ago). anyhow, plenty of pro and con lists and posts, just google I5 or AMD?

For the build itself: read a few build guides ALL the way through, read the most detailed one that made you think of the most things you hadn't considered twice and on hand while building.
Make sure you have the right tools (no 12" Philips 3 sizes too big slipping on your last motherboard mounting screw to ruin your life).
Take your time, take a break of 5 minutes every 30, even if its only to go over in your head what you've done, doing next, and through the end.

It's a beautiful thing to make something, soak it in Josh ;)

Someone had told me corsair psu wouldn't last as long. I don't already have any windows to upgrade with. So I'm stuck buying it. I thought about going AMD but I figured I wouldn't bottleneck myself with slightly lower performance just to save money. In the end Intel is better and I don't mind spending extra money. And I have a bunch of those small screwdrivers (can't remember what they're called but they're like eyeglass sized) and a leatherman among other tools. I appreciate your input :)

Once you've got all your components in-house, build your unit outside the case first. Once it's optimized, disassemble and reassemble inside the case; much easier to make adjustments that way.

One thing, I would seriously recommend getting a different cooler. You absolutely wont need the extra cooling, but those stock heatsinks are loud as hell when they get up there. Might be able to get a passive cooler even.

Once you've got all your components in-house, build your unit outside the case first. Once it's optimized, disassemble and reassemble inside the case; much easier to make adjustments that way.

And use the motherboard box as a static proof work station right? i read that some where i think.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing, I would seriously recommend getting a different cooler. You absolutely wont need the extra cooling, but those stock heatsinks are loud as hell when they get up there. Might be able to get a passive cooler even.

If i had a case with 4 fans would the heatsink even get hot and subsequentially have the fans running loud enough to bother me?

A nice, bright flashlight is a big plus, unless you build it outside in the bright sunlight, I have 2 little nebos that I find I use a lot.

Whoever said that about Corsair's is some kind of crazy, for one, they got the longest warranty periods, and two, no.

With that kind of case, the antec instructions on the order to install things is pretty straight forward; since you know the word leatherman, I don't think you need to assemble outside the case (except for install cpu and heatsink, of course, that's always easier seeing the back).

Regarding aftermarket cooler, yeah, something with 4 heatpipes direct contact or better in case you move to the 35th or below parallel and game on a hot day ;) $30-40 (heatsink and better paste). Just read a review on it and you'll see on the chart how there's super good right next to good right next to mid high, then a few middles, and an oh god crappy by comparison (which is where stock falls).

I think the parts you have picked are probably the best for the price. I would hold of on the cooler, the stock one doesn't bother some people, and why spend the extra money if it won't matter to you? Since you won't be overclocking (as that is a locked chip), the stock cooler should be fine, as it'll be doing what it's designed to do.

With that kind of case, the antec instructions on the order to install things is pretty straight forward; since you know the word leatherman, I don't think you need to assemble outside the case (except for install cpu and heatsink, of course, that's always easier seeing the back).

It's always a good idea to build the core system (M/B, CPU, RAM, GPU) outside of the case, for a couple of very good reasons:
1st: If a part is DOA, it's much easier to troubleshoot without having to work around the case.
2nd: If you install into the case after everything has been confirmed working, and it doesn't boot up, you know the issue is either with the case, or a grounding issue.

And EVGA has the longest warranty period (10 years on most units), and some of the best customer support in the business. But, both the CX750M and 600B have 3 year warranties. No reason to buy a 750w PSU for that build, so OP may as well save his $5.

It's always a good idea to build the core system (M/B, CPU, RAM, GPU) outside of the case, for a couple of very good reasons:
1st: If a part is DOA, it's much easier to troubleshoot without having to work around the case.
2nd: If you install into the case after everything has been confirmed working, and it doesn't boot up, you know the issue is either with the case, or a grounding issue.

And EVGA has the longest warranty period (10 years on most units), and some of the best customer support in the business. But, both the CX750M and 600B have 3 year warranties. No reason to buy a 750w PSU for that build, so OP may as well save his $5.

True on the grounding, testing, just never made that mistake myself. Like you said, they have matching warranty periods, but the CX750M actually tests as Gold Certified, is modular (easier, and cleaner to build), and having larger capacity = more options for multiple and or high end graphics cards... Having built systems for 13 years, modular is worth a lot more than $5 in aesthetics alone.

EVGA is gq, just don't see the downside in spending $5 to save the time it'd take to get a $5 burrito, eat it, and go home, with all that cable management ;)

Back