• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Noob's Experience with Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeckulz

Registered
I recently took the plunge into water cooling (pun not intended) using the Alphacool/Cooler Master Eisberg as a starting point for a custom loop that I can expand into and beef up when cash allows (getting married in May).
I wanted it to be cheap but still look the business and perform better than my old air cooler (bequiet Dark Rock Pro), and I kinda got what I aimed for.

I also produced a video over the course of attempting water cooling for the first time.
I'm not the best on the mic, but I'm quite proud of the editing I've accomplished, as well as telling the tale of both;
-A noob's experience of water cooling
and
-The Eisberg is actually not the POS that people think it is.

I'm aware it's not the absolute lick, twin loop, 5 rads, bitspower showroom that I see on here, but I wanted it to look... clean.

Hope you like it

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would have used the warranty and made them pay for any of the damages. Did the MB survive? I didn't hear that in the video.

One thing I would have not done is use colored fluid. You're just staining everything and it will "bleed blue" for the rest of its life till you rinse the crap out of it. Distilled water and a biocide (Deadwater) would have been fine along with colored tubing (Primochill Advanced LRT).

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would have used the warranty and made them pay for any of the damages. Did the MB survive? I didn't hear that in the video.

One thing I would have not done is use colored fluid. You're just staining everything and it will "bleed blue" for the rest of its life till you rinse the crap out of it. Distilled water and a biocide (Deadwater) would have been fine along with colored tubing (Primochill Advanced LRT).

Meh, the Eisberg warranty only covers it if you dont alter the AIO set up out of the box. Same BS as taking the stock cooler off ya GPU.
And as said in the Vid - the MB is fine - Plenty of kitchen roll :D

As for colour staining - I've read up on Mayhems for a little while, seen plenty of positive stuff about lack of staining compared with other manufacturers products.
And even if they do stain, it wont be enough for me to care. By the time any real gunk builds up the block will be changed to make way for a separate block and res/pump combo.
And plus, mayhems also produce a very robust cleaning system by many accounts.
Having said all that - there's more than just aesthetics reasons behind not choosing red coolant :D

Back