• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about CPU for gaming for the next 5 years.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is he going to be overclocking at all? If so you can fit a 240mm AIO in there.
If he isn't, can you get Noctua there?

Is he going to be overclocking at all? If so you can fit a 240mm AIO in there.
If he isn't, can you get Noctua there?

He doesnt want water cooling, Also he doesnt need one, And the cheapest AIO water cooling here is the same cost as the Noctua NH-U12S, The model is Arctic Liquid Freezer 120.
Which is the best from the list i gave?

Instead of listing them all out individually here, can you point us to where you're going to buy from?
Then we can see all the options and your local prices...

Instead of listing them all out individually here, can you point us to where you're going to buy from?
Then we can see all the options and your local prices...

Here ya go:
http://en.ksp.co.il/?select=1066..182&store=KSP03

I dont think going above 150 maybe 160 sheqels is good. My bro dunno about cooling much so he dont want to spend much on it, Also he is really hard into getting the 5820k so consider it too.

Let's make a decision on the CPU before the heatsink... It changes a lot on mITX going from 1151 to 2011 because they don't use a standard 2011 bolt pattern.

Let's make a decision on the CPU before the heatsink... It changes a lot on mITX going from 1151 to 2011 because they don't use a standard 2011 bolt pattern.

Oh, Ok ill ask him.
Its almost no difference going from Haswell to Skylake in terms of gaming, So i guess he will choose the 5820k and ill disable 2 cores for him if itll be needed. The price differences are really small between the systems, About 100-150$.

I don't think there will be any special difference between 6700K and 5820K regarding heat if you will use air cooling ( with good airflow in the case ). At least I was comparing both and I haven't seen big difference on air. AIO can generate more noise in small case and then you will see that 5820K heats up a bit more.

If he decides on 5820K then I recommend micro ATX mobo/case as it won't be much bigger than ITX ( I mean whole PC ) while it's easier to make good airflow ( mainly near graphics card ). It will also use quad channel memory.

Looking at all games for past 5-6 years I can say that any new CPU will be good for next 3-5 years. Most new games are or based on old engines or designed to work on PC and consoles at the same time ( AMD APU which is already slow ) or require fast GPU more than CPU. Probably new graphics will be required faster than CPU.

I don't think there will be any special difference between 6700K and 5820K regarding heat if you will use air cooling ( with good airflow in the case ). At least I was comparing both and I haven't seen big difference on air. AIO can generate more noise in small case and then you will see that 5820K heats up a bit more.

If he decides on 5820K then I recommend micro ATX mobo/case as it won't be much bigger than ITX ( I mean whole PC ) while it's easier to make good airflow ( mainly near graphics card ). It will also use quad channel memory.

Looking at all games for past 5-6 years I can say that any new CPU will be good for next 3-5 years. Most new games are or based on old engines or designed to work on PC and consoles at the same time ( AMD APU which is already slow ) or require fast GPU more than CPU. Probably new graphics will be required faster than CPU.

The mobo for the 5820k will be micro ATX, It can fit but its not meant to be place like that, So i guess ill tell him about that. Here is a pic with the mATX mobo in the case http://peecee.dk/upload/view/448576
Yeah i know that he will need to upgrade when approximately next gen comes out.

There is 50% more wattage to worry about... A 140W part and 90W part. Did I miss something?

Ok i talked to my bro and he said he will be the 6700k.
He also said he wants to buy a AIO water cooler.
Here is a link for what he can buy, Note that he dont want to spend over 500Sheqels. What is the best cooling he can buy for the 6700k+overclocking it, Also is there an extension for the AIO to add a water block?

Last edited:
Look up reviews... but for his limit, If he has room for the CoolerMaster Nepton 280L, that would be the best, followed by the Antec Kuhler H1200.

There is 50% more wattage to worry about... A 140W part and 90W part. Did I miss something?

I didn't mean heat in watts as comparison but that good air cooling can handle both CPUs about the same and noise won't be much different if you use 6700K or 5820K. When you use AIO then it will have more problems to run quiet with 5820K than with 6700K in small case. That's just my experience with small cases and I was trying couple of different platforms.

I think that for small build 6700K will be better idea.

From this review it seems this (Arctic Liquid Freezer 240) 299sheqel AIO is even better than a 535sheqel AIO cooler (Corsair Hydro H105) Is it true?

Why wouldn't it be? Cross reference it with another round up like that and see. ;)

It shows it winning by a fair margin at stock speed, while overclocked, the H105 comes back to within 1C. It seems like the H105 has more capacity to keep higher loads cooler, but, they will both work fine.

Back