• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about CPU for gaming for the next 5 years.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why wouldn't it be? Cross reference it with another round up like that and see. ;)

It shows it winning by a fair margin at stock speed, while overclocked, the H105 comes back to within 1C. It seems like the H105 has more capacity to keep higher loads cooler, but, they will both work fine.

So, is there a point buying an more expansive cooler or no?

If it performs better or has the features you want/need, sure. If not, no.

I mean, It does perform better than the H105, But idk about the quality and reliability of it, Gotta research more!

Im currently thinking about the Antec Kuhler H2O 1250 cause it seems more reliable than the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 because it has 2 pumps and they are bigger than the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120s pump.

His main concern is the noise, It doesnt have to go full speed all the time, I saw a review and the guys said it sounds like a vacuum cleaner on max speed, But 1500RPM is good for sound and performance and its pretty quite.

1500 RPM is already loud in most builds especially when there are 2 or more fans. You can compare performance of the best tower air coolers at ~1000 RPM to 2x120mm AIO at 1500 RPM ... but AIO will be still much louder. I was checking that in my build some time ago and large air cooler was giving better experience. Additionally in AIO there is a pump noise. If your PC is standing on the desk then it can be annoying.
Of course all depends what components you pick but silent AIO is only a theory.

1500 RPM is already loud in most builds especially when there are 2 or more fans. You can compare performance of the best tower air coolers at ~1000 RPM to 2x120mm AIO at 1500 RPM ... but AIO will be still much louder. I was checking that in my build some time ago and large air cooler was giving better experience. Additionally in AIO there is a pump noise. If your PC is standing on the desk then it can be annoying.
Of course all depends what components you pick but silent AIO is only a theory.

I think ill choose the Arctic liquid freezer 240 cause its thinner and looks good on the review i read. They said its build quality is good, Also its performance is good too.

my bros PC will be standing on the floor near his legs, Also its a mITX case so idk if the high-end air cooling will fit in his case,
Here is a few high-end coolers that can fit in his case, But will they cool better?
Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Noctua NH-C14

I think ill choose the Arctic liquid freezer 240 cause its thinner and looks good on the review i read. They said its build quality is good, Also its performance is good too.

my bros PC will be standing on the floor near his legs, Also its a mITX case so idk if the high-end air cooling will fit in his case,
Here is a few high-end coolers that can fit in his case, But will they cool better?
Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Noctua NH-C14
Doubtful they will cool better. Typically a 2x120mm radiator out cools the best air. Otherwise, you have to look up reviews amd see hkw those perform amd compare.

Doubtful they will cool better. Typically a 2x120mm radiator out cools the best air. Otherwise, you have to look up reviews amd see hkw those perform amd compare.

People say the difference is really small, And also i saw a Noctua NH-C14S and its just 2.5$ more, So i think ill watch that as a air cooler.

Okaaaay, My bro chose the Corsair H105, Even though i told him its not worth the price, Well he does what he wants, Its his computer lol.
Thanks for all the help you all provided :)
Ill keep this thread up if any other questions are going to pop for me.

When buying an expensive CPU cooler make sure it has a good heatsink, not just a run-of-the-mill average heatsink getting good results because of a good 12cm or 14cm fan. You'll want to replace that fan (or, more likely, ans) yourself, in which case you should try them out before buying if at all possible, and if not, then buy from someone who offers liberal returns. Essentially, the stats on paper don't tell the whole story, even supposing they aren't inflated. Both the dBA rating and the type of bearing matters, as well as some other things, where a lot of noise can come from crossing air paths or vibration. Fans can be a good place to put your premium in, in terms of bang for the buck for cooling, since more blades, better angle, better shape and overall better design moves more air more quietly but is simply more expensive to make. But it's not normally horribly expensive, at least not in comparison to other cooling equipment.

You can still sell the stock fans if you want to and don't have a better use for them.

When buying an expensive CPU cooler make sure it has a good heatsink, not just a run-of-the-mill average heatsink getting good results because of a good 12cm or 14cm fan. You'll want to replace that fan (or, more likely, ans) yourself, in which case you should try them out before buying if at all possible, and if not, then buy from someone who offers liberal returns. Essentially, the stats on paper don't tell the whole story, even supposing they aren't inflated. Both the dBA rating and the type of bearing matters, as well as some other things, where a lot of noise can come from crossing air paths or vibration. Fans can be a good place to put your premium in, in terms of bang for the buck for cooling, since more blades, better angle, better shape and overall better design moves more air more quietly but is simply more expensive to make. But it's not normally horribly expensive, at least not in comparison to other cooling equipment.

You can still sell the stock fans if you want to and don't have a better use for them.

Thanks :) My bro will buy it in about 1.5-2 months, There is no place to test the cooler but i saw alot of reviews and the fans are pretty avarage so replacing them shouldnt effect the fans much. If i do replace the fans for him itll be a pair of good Noctua ones 👍

Thanks :) My bro will buy it in about 1.5-2 months, There is no place to test the cooler but i saw alot of reviews and the fans are pretty avarage so replacing them shouldnt effect the fans much. If i do replace the fans for him itll be a pair of good Noctua ones ��

If you already know you're going to be replacing the fans with Noctuas, it will definitely be a good idea to look for some tests that show the heatsink's performance fanless.

If you already know you're going to be replacing the fans with Noctuas, it will definitely be a good idea to look for some tests that show the heatsink's performance fanless.

I meant ill replace them when they start making sound and stuff like that, The stock fans are decent.
And yeah i will look into it ;)

Back