• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10-5800k OVERHEATING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuZee

Registered
Hi all,
Ok, i have build a budget gaming rig and I've got a problem with overheating,
my processor is AMD A10-5800k. By the reviews, my temperatures are way too high. On stock cooler i was getting about 60C in idle and didnt risk going full load, and with Arctic cooling freezer 13 it was 35-40C idle and 80-83C under full load using prime95.
I have read that the max safe temperatures for 5800k is 74C and im afraid that i will damage it....
In both of the cases i was using Arctic MX-4, i have used different amounts of thermal paste and always the same result ... :( so i guess its the CPU itself that it the problem.
Also this looks odd to me, when its under full load core speed range 3799.99 MHz-3999.84MHz where as it should be 4.2GHz and core voltage 1.248V-1.404V.
cpux.jpg

Thank you for taking time reading this, and i hope i will get my problem solved.

I don't do APUs yet, so I had to google and in gernal those things do run hot. Some debate that when reading in windows that strangely SpeedFan (I hate it) seems to read the APU temp better. Might double check with that. About all that has made a difference that I can google-up.
RGone...

I have read that the max safe temperatures for 5800k is 74C and im afraid that i will damage it....
Those are the same numbers I found.
Just out of curiosity you said a "budget" build, what kind of case and air flow do you have. It seem that your new h/s is pulling the heat away better judging by the difference in idle temp. But if the heat can't get out of your case......

ok from what i can see now using speedfan
it doesn't recognize the CPU, so i decided to fire on prime95 and see which temp goes up quickly
it worked out that "Temp3" looks like its CPU of sensor in the socket
in idle its 14C and full load 47C, which doesn't look realistic to me, so im going to look around for other software and compare results

Those are the same numbers I found.
Just out of curiosity you said a "budget" build, what kind of case and air flow do you have. It seem that your new h/s is pulling the heat away better judging by the difference in idle temp. But if the heat can't get out of your case......

I have ezcool k-720b with two case fans arctic cooling f12 and led fan that was in the case. AC F12 is pushing air from the back and case fan is taking it out from side. But by the looks of temperatures inside its quite cool.

after few test i found that Aida64 showed strange results idle CPU 14C and each of the cores 0C oO and full load CPU 47C and each of the cores 28-32C

If you apply the margin of error as in FX series it was 20C i would guess that the temperature look ok

Last edited:
Seems a rash of stuff wrong with those APU boards. At least you know now and can send it back I would guess.

mm it looks like all of them have that problem with the temperature

Well you have Trinity core which is analagous to the Vishera desktop core. GOOD cooling on Vishera core will most often show the Core/Package temps as 9c to 14c and the CPU temp as 30c to maybe 37c while idle. That lowest reading is not and never will ever be accurate since AMD says the upper temp range of the Core/Package is where the accuracy is.

So the latest HWMonitor with APU update and maybe Aida64 or whatever it is called would show about the same. However when loaded with Prime95 Blend the Core/Package Temp that was down at approx 9c should not go above 55c and the CPU/socket temp should not go beyond about 70c and this is like under P95 blend load. Now that is how the Visehra core acts. Has does and will on the later desktop cores.

I am no expert but sthg did surprise me a little:
Vcore~ 1.4V
Heatsink: Arctic cooling freezer 13
Then the temps you are giving us

It looks as if you've connected the heatsink in 5V only instead of 7, 9 or 12, don't you?
When the A10 5800K is full stressed on both CPU and GPU part, it requires almost 130W at stock frequencies, quite a lot of heat.

Even though we can't consistently compare two different architecture, the last i7 2600K that I saw OCd (with this heatsink) with Vc~1.4V required the fan to spin with 12V and temps were around 70+°C...
AMD traditionnaly runs at lower temperature than Intel at same voltage level passed a certain threshold, so logically, your real temps should be under those 70°C :)

Vcore~ 1.4V
It is set to Auto so it changes all the time as the clock speed changes.

It looks as if you've connected the heatsink in 5V only instead of 7, 9 or 12, don't you?
There is only one conection for CPU heatsink which is labeled as CPU_fan (4 pin connection) (explain it to me please cause i dont really understand what you mean :( )

When the A10 5800K is full stressed on both CPU and GPU part, it requires almost 130W at stock frequencies, quite a lot of heat.

Thats what's strange, the cooler is way too cold at full load, I ran prime95 for 30 min 0 errors, 0 warnings. CPU was 80C-84C (in HWMonitor). When i touched the cooler it was at about room temperature.

I found an article about you proc. It's a couple months old but may shed some light on your situation. " At the same time, it is almost impossible to monitor the acceptable thermal conditions. Thermal sensors integrated into the previous AMD processor cores have never been particularly precise, but in case of Trinity they are nothing short of a catastrophe." Taken from http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-a10-5800k_10.html

There is only one conection for CPU heatsink which is labeled as CPU_fan (4 pin connection) (explain it to me please cause i dont really understand what you mean :( )

Well, the fan is using PWM, so it chooses either 3V, 5V, 7V, 12V to feed the fan and adjust the rotation speed to the thermal dissipation requirement :)

What I was saying is that your PWM seems to stay at 5V whatever happens.
Other explanation would be as it has just been said that the thermal sensors are garbage :D

THANKS ALL, I appreciate every bit of help and advice i got.

A tiny bit of information (based on my very long time consuming research :) ) for owners of FM2 Trinity series proccesors.

1) HWMonitor is showing wrong temperatures as it is not compatible with FM2 Trinity series processors just yet. (my conclusion from the review and different forums is that they will add FM2 Trinity very soon in their software update)

2) Speedfan does detect CPU temperature but under a different title, "Temp 3", anyway that is the way it was for me :D

3) Aida64 and EasyTune6(from Gigabyte website) are the only two, in my consideration that show correct with small margin of error results.

So, if you get high temperatures in HWMonitor don't worry too much :D

here are temperatures at very low CPU usage (9.1%), just for the reference about software. ;)

idletemperatures.jpg

So maybe it's not bad sensors just a compatability issue

same prob

Wow! thanks for doing all the work for me...I have the EXACT same problem...Indentical temps under HWMonitor and Easy tune (under load and idle)..
I thought the CPU was overheating.. I just built an AMD A10-5800k system with Gigibayte A88X Mobo and 8 GB ddr2 2133...

When I ran HWmonitor I got temps in the 80 to 82 Deg C range when I used Prime 95 to stress test it...and 45-48 deg C at idle...

Easy tune posted 14 deg at idle and 45 - 46 deg under load (Prime95)....

So I didn't know which to believe...

Now i know it's not just me..

Thanks for your post :salute:

What motherboard are you using? Did it come with a PC Health monitoring utility? If so, thta might be the best bet for monitoring board temps. I just did a build with an APU for a friend and found that HWMonitor was giving me package temps 30-35c higher than the mobo utility (EasyTune 6). Don't know if either was accurate but the ET6 seemed closer to what my touch and feel was saying to me.

Your case air flow may be wrong. Side fans usually hurt more than help. Move the side panel fan to the bottom front of the case so that it is pushing cool air into to the box. Air should be moving from front low to rear high.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,823
THANKS ALL, I appreciate every bit of help and advice i got.

A tiny bit of information (based on my very long time consuming research :) ) for owners of FM2 Trinity series proccesors.

1) HWMonitor is showing wrong temperatures as it is not compatible with FM2 Trinity series processors just yet. (my conclusion from the review and different forums is that they will add FM2 Trinity very soon in their software update)

2) Speedfan does detect CPU temperature but under a different title, "Temp 3", anyway that is the way it was for me :D

3) Aida64 and EasyTune6(from Gigabyte website) are the only two, in my consideration that show correct with small margin of error results.

So, if you get high temperatures in HWMonitor don't worry too much :D

here are temperatures at very low CPU usage (9.1%), just for the reference about software. ;)

idletemperatures.jpg

Easytune6 temp reporting has been the most accurate for me. For benchmarking I have taking it to 78C without issue while at 80C it throttles.

Other software reporting temps have been been as much as 10C off. I only figured out which one was correct by benchmarking and watching it throttle and the score goes down.

Back