• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gautam said:
From looking at your sig, it didn't seem to stop you much. :)

Yes, yours is one of those boards that doesn't have locked PCI/AGP. But like I said, it does have a wide range of dividers, so it shouldn't hinder you. If you must keep in spec, any multiples of 33 will work perfectly.

deviders as in .... PCI vs HTT devider?? does this mean if I lower multi to like 8 or something and take HTT to 266, the PCI should still be in SPEC???
cuz it seems like if I try that or anything higher then 225mhz my HD gets corrupted =( then again....at 233mhz it should go back down to 33mhz PCI according to what ur claiming...correct?
and obviously ClockGen must not reflect these deviders cuz in clockgen no matter whta HTT I choose the PCI goes up with it...
I just dont want to risk corrupting my HD again =( maybe Ill find a trash one somewhere and take my main out and throw OS on it and test....

So far as I know, to enable dividers, you need to overclock 1mhz in bios. Then, with clockgen, keep it at the dividers. On my Sn85G4(nf3 150) I have successfully run at 200-220HT, 233, 250, 267, and even 300HT.

Dont trust clockgens numbers either. It doesnt recognise dividers. When I was at 300HT, it said my pci was at 50mhz or something rediculous like that.

Well, I tried 233mhz HTT speed in BIOS, dropped HTT multi to 2x just to be sure, dropped CPU multiplier to 10x to run at 2330, and My memory could handle the speed with 2.5-3-3-8 timings...it worked fine in Memtest86 let it run for half hour or so and did test 5 repeatedly.
But, when I get into windows first thing that happens is Windows Explorer errored out when I tried to open it up.
Suggestions?
I really dont think the PCI multipliers are working.....what else would cause this error? - I didnt want to test further and risk more data corruption if that was what was happening.

I also tried 266HTT in bios, set memory even lower multi so it ran around 200....kept HTT multi at 2x dropped CPU even lower to 9x to run at near 2.4ghz. no voltages I changed or anything helped me in this case not dropping the CPU multi even lower even help....at 266HTT my SYSTEM wouldnt even POST it would just auto reboot back to previous clocks cuz I took it too far. - There should be no reason it wasnt booting except that I can figure PCI clock is indeed driven too high at 266 and there is no multi putting it back down to 33mhz.
I set my HTT from BIOS and I also upped the AGP freq to 67mhz.

NOW question....are you doing BIOS to get these higher HTT frequencies or are u using CLOCKGEN?

wow...good reading :D My brain is kinda sore right now...but I still need to read the other 2 stickies on the A64s to get a better picture on what I want. But I don't know what I want! AHHHHH!!!

very nice...thanks for your help, g...another q that i can't seem to find the answer (or missed it searching) to: is there a certain vcore i should not pass? obviously i'm not going much higher than now (1.65 set in BIOS) with the ****acular speeze hsf but when i upgrade (soon), i will....i thought i read somewhere about A64's not liking the higher vcores as did the AXP's...maybe i was hallucinating....thanks.

You'd probably be best around 1.7v. However, if you've got 1.8v-1.85v available, using that on high-end air should be fine.

Gautam said:
You'd probably be best around 1.7v. However, if you've got 1.8v-1.85v available, using that on high-end air should be fine.

wow....would be fine on high speed air? LMAO, prescotts are so D*** hot that you need water cooling to run at stock practicly :p

Gautam,
Where is that update? This is helping me a whole lot! If there is an update,I would sure like to read it before I try to overclock for the first time.I'm sure alot of other first-timers wouldnt mind a good update!
Thank!

I've been making minor changes here and there, but yeah...its high time for quite a few of em...

Man...I copied alot of what I read here to a *doc file and printed it out...just not sure which info is outdated,and which is still applicable.I have never tried to overclock,and dont want to make a critical error---so these guides are very helpful.

BTW---how the hell did you get a score of nearly 78000 in Aquamark on a system with lower specs than mine? My sig is outdated...I am running with this setup now:

A64 3500+(90nm)
Patriots PC3200 RAM(CAS-2.5, matched 512mb set)
Epox 9NDA3+ mobo
ATI 9800 Pro 128

I know your video card is better...but it seems like the rest of my hardware is comperable or better.I ran it a 1024x768 with everything maxed---and only got a score of 52000 something.Did you run yours at lower specs or resolution?

Aquamark3 is mainly a GPU test...CPU as well, but mainly GPU. I got around 50k with my 9800, but don't remember exactly. 3DMark01 is more system based, but the GPU again takes an enormous role.

As far as the overclocking theory goes, all of it is the same. What I'm working on now is the component selection.

nVidia nForce4 SLI- Cream of the crop. Supports a 1000MHz HyperTransport frequency, featuring SLI PCI-Express support. Take note, this chipset does not have AGP support, so you will need to replace your graphics cards. Also features a native SATA300 controller, supporting RAID 0, 0+1 and 1 for both its SATA controller and ATA133 IDE controller. Native Gigabit Ethernet with built-in firewall feature. Allows for breathtaking overclocks; very solid chipset, for socket 939 only.
It will support dual socket 940 Opterons too. The Tyan S2895 (K8WE) SLI is the best example.

Last edited:
sulu said:
Hi Gautam,

If it makes any difference, your post has helped me alot!
AS newbie to amd64 oclocking I was bit lost, but after reading your article. It made the process very clear to me. :)

I second that !! Great Thread Gautam. After the turion was announced today I was considering dropping my nf7-s plans and going that 64 route. I just didn't have enough information. Your thread cleared up alot for me :clap:

Now I'm considering the 939 route.That sure is alot of MONEY !!!! Bah, I swear you guys must work for the big boys conspiring to get my money !!!! (j/k).

But seriously, Great Thread. Thanks a million :) .

Back to the drawing board..............

The Turion is very interesting. However, my major problem with it is the cost. I still like socket 754 very much though; got a mobile 3000+ DTR on the cheap, and it's quite a champ by my standards. All in all, the cache and dual channel pretty much cancel each other out. I'd expect the Turion to score and clock about even with the Winchesters, albeit for more $$$ and on an older socket. As much as I love 754, it doesn't make a big amount of sense to start a new system around it.

Thanks for the kind words all :)

Back