• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X dlx and PSU voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocGiggs

Where to begin....

I originally had purchased a epox 8rda+ from mwave but it was cancelled because it turned out to be on backorder even if the site didn't reflect that when I ordered it. I needed a board to put together my new system and all the epox's at a reasonable rate were sold out. This is also when I started seeing threads about it killing GF4's and having stability issues. I then looked into getting the asus board since everyone was raving about that as well. Problem was, I could only find the delux board at the time, and it was at the cheapest for $125 (which was still an awsome deal at the time when I bought it).

Time to fast forward some. I had some small problems with other parts I ordered and ended up getting the PSU in last. It is a 350watt Fortron PSU that was highly recommended on this site, mainly by larva, and which I had asked many extensive question about. Seeing as how it was suppose to be the best bang for the buck I went with it. Fast forward some more and I finally get my new computer built just after the new years from originally intending to build it around thanksgiving. Right off the bat, the first thing I notice was my +3.3v line was a t 3.29 to 3.3 always (right on the money just about), my +5v line was at 4.84v-4.89v and my +12v line hovered around 11.78v in the bios. I thought this couldn't be right.

Try as I might I could never get the 5v and 12v lines to read correctly. I didn't have a multimeter handy and was a litte short on pocket cash at the time to buy one after shelling out for my new comp. I didn't seem to have any stability issues but my overclocking has been mediocre at best in my eyes with this system. I thought it was the bad voltages mixed with the lack of voltage tweaking allowed in the bios for this board that was holding me back.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I finally scrounge up a little bit of cash and decided to buy a multimeter. Went looking online for a good price, since everything in town at 12 different stores is $30 and up for even a cheap multimeter (ugh). I then saw on cyberdeals an awsome deal on a rotron 172mm 230cfm 50dba 24v fan that could be modded to 12v and still push over 120cfm of air with barely any noise at all. After I wiped up the puddle of drool on my desk at seeing it for only $10 bucks for the fan the website listed a min purchase price of $35 to place an order. What luck though, they had a digital multimeter on sale at $10 as well along with a nice $10 magnifying glass that could come in handy and bring my purchase price with shipping up to $35. Still more then I wanted to spend but I decided I could eat peanut butter and jelly for another week.

Fast forward to today. Finally the UPS guy (who has me on speed dial on my cell phone now to give me a call when I got a package with all the business I gave him), calls me and says my stuff has arrived. I get home and first I do, after cleaning up the drool that mysteriously appeared on my fan, was to test my lines from my PSU directly. Here's what I have:

+3.3v =3.31
+5v = +5.06
+12v = 11.92

Also, during this time I read that some boards have their mosfets placed VERY far away from the ATX connectors which is where the line regulation is read from. With that distance there is some resistance to get there before being dispersed to the rest of the board that can drop the voltage of the lines. This is what seems to be happening with these Asus boards. I've seen sooooo many different mods for this board now that it's not funny. While the board is nice and stable it really sucks for overclocking unless they finally put out a stable bios that unlocks all the voltage tweaking and you still have to mod a 5v line directly to a mosfet.

I'm really tempted to just sell off the board and get an epox cause it's driving me nuts.

I had this problem with this board, but my voltages were reading WAY low expecially the 5v line, i checked them with a multimeter, and they were wrong...

So dont believe the readouts of this board, asus needs to get it together and create somthing that isnt gay like these are... Thats the one and ONLY thing that makes me mad about this board though, keep it, it will serve you well

well here's the break down on my 5v line which seems to fluctuate the worse.

With multi at idle 5.06v
With multi during prime95 5.03v
On mosfet prong with multi at idle 4.91
On mofset prong with multi during prime95 4.89
Any mobo monitoring software at idle 4.89
Any mobo monitoring software during prime 4.84

To me something is REALLY screwy here. I'm getting wild readings everywhere and the bios, mbm, asus probe, or whatever else I use to monitor always so the exact same numbers that are all screwy. I'm tempted to get a splade grabber and run a extra direct 5v line to the all mosfet prongs to up the 5v line since this is the line this board uses to supply the CPU.

Back