• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI Deluxe overclocking...help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WolfRogers

I'm pretty new to overclocking, though through trial and error, I have managed to get a decent boost, but I'm hoping to get a bit more without having to make any hardware changes. First off, what I'm running.
-Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
-Matched pair Corsair PC3200 1GB RAM chips
So far, by following the settings in another post on here, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468038 , I've been able to pull 2.6GHz. I did limit the memclock value to 200MHz, but left the MCT timing mode set to auto. With those settings changed, the system runs just a bit warmer than normal, but with them set to auto, I actually run 4-6 degrees C cooler running 2.6Ghz than I do at the stock 2.2. Don't see how that could be, but it is. Any more info, or perhaps a full profile would be wonderfully helpful. I've tried other profiles, but they are set up for different CPUs, and most cause my system to stop posting, and I have to reset CMOS...that's getting -old- considering the jumper is directly beneath the PCI-Express clip.

:welcome: to OCF!

Wow - you actually had to reset the CMOS?!? That's unusual for that board.

Open CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab. What are the stock timings and voltage listed for 200 MHz? At 236x11 I'd guess the BIOS is changing RAM timings and getting them wrong as usual. Never saw a BIOS yet that knew what it was doing with OC'ed RAM. :-/ That's why it's critical to set the RAM timings manually - you have no control over it if it's on [Auto].

Also, have you lowered your HT Link (K8 to NB Freq) down to 4X ...?

Followup

Thanks for the quick response QuietIce. Current timing/voltage when overclocked is as follows--CAS# Latency-3.0, RAS# to CAS#-3, RAS# Precharge-3, IRAS-8, with voltage at 2.5. K8 to NB-4X, Linkwidth-16/16 and SB to NB-5X, and 16/16. And, if it matters, I have upgraded to the most recent 1405 BIOS.

Wait, did you get those numbers off the SPD tab or off the Memory tab??? You want the manufacturer's specs, which are on the SPD tab. Current RAM timings are shown on the Memory tab.

3-3-3-8 are very odd timings for stock settings, though not unheard of. I need to know what the SPD tab shows in the 200 MHz column ... :)

Followup

Those are the settings from the SPD tab. The settings in the Memory tab are different. Frequency-233MHz, FSB:DRAM-CPU/11, tCL-2.5, tRCD-3, tRP-2, tRAS-6, tRC-13, CR-2T, and DRAM idle timer-16.

OK, then manually set the RAM timings to 3-3-3-8-1T @ a limit of 200 with RAM voltage at 2.75v. It's Corsair RAM - it'll take the added voltage.

After that try pushing the clock speed up some more. If your vCore (CPU voltage) isn't set to 1.45v then use that and see how far you can go ...

Followup

Well...after many hours of tinkering, I've managed to pull 2.695GHz unstable, and 2.64 while staying stable. I had thought I should've been able to pull more out of the thing, but once again, I'm new to this, and perhaps had some high hopes. Settings to obtain a stable 2.64 are as follows-
FSB-240
SB to NB OC-Auto
PEG Link Mode-Auto
Over-Voltage CPU vcore-Enabled
OV NB vcore-Enabled
OV SB vcore-Enabled
OV HyperTransport-Enabled
DDR Vcore-2.85V
Multiplier-11X
Processor Voltage-1.5375V

Using the RAM timings you suggested. Is this about as far as you would suggest going, or are there aftermarket programs that would allow me to push farther?

:eek: You really need to turn the Processor Voltage down! :eek:

You do realize you're running 1.7375v through the processor??? Running your voltage that high will fry your CPU pretty quickly and I'm surprised your temps aren't through the roof. What kind of CPU load temps are you getting like that?!?

Also, PEG Link should be disabled ...

Will disable PEG link. As far as temps go, under 100% load, I'm not even hitting 70C. Normal temp before overclocking was up around 60C under 100% load. I'm in the yellow area as far as my monitor program for the mobo goes, but not near close enough to the red zone to have me concerned.

Last edited:
70°C is a very unreasonable upper limit - even for a K8 (socket 939) chip. You should set the goal more near 50-55°C. As your CPU temps increase the ability to OC the CPU decreases. This becomes very marked in the lower 50's (load temp) and goes up quickly. These aren't Intel CPUs - AMDs start out running cooler and need to stay running cooler.

But it's your hardware ... :shrug:

*nods* Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be buying a peltier sometime in the near future. The case, I know won't be an issue for heat. Running inside an extended Lian Li PC-V1200 Plus II. :D So do you have some kind of an idea on how far I can feasibly push the thing, or does it depend entirely on the hardware setup?

Back