• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI-Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAnt

Registered
Hey all, just recently signed up to these forums as i need a little assistance with overclocking any info would be great, my current rig is getting a lil outdated by all these new quad cores and C2D's so i was thinking about overclocking, my current setup is listed below.

Mobo: A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.4) Toledo core
RAM: Corsair CMX PC4000(250Mhz)
GPU: BFG Tech 8800 GTS 640 @ 625/948

I'm not a novice at overclocking as i've overclocked my previous setup's but this one is giving some troubles, i've also read the sticky about my mobo settings but still no joy, i reach 220 fsb with the multiplier set to x12 and this is where my problems is, when ever i set the fsb to 220+ windows refuses to boot and i just sit there looking at a black monitor for about 10 minutes untill i restart and i get prompt by a screen saying "overclock failed press f1 to enter setup, or f2 to load defaults, any help would be greatly appreciated.

well, I started to oc again today and this is what i have so far on stock amd hfs;

idle temps: 35-38
under load: 35-65 (Orthos stress test)

i tried going to 12x with an fsb of 222 bringing the clock speed to 2664, ran orthos and all was well up untill 5 minutes into the test, my temps were fine 49 at the time but my system/windows just locked up and froze, my vCore is 1.40 with the overvoltage disabled, I wanted to use as less overvoltage as possible as I'm still using the stock HSF, but my question is, am I experiencing these system locks due to the cpu not having enough voltage or? i've also lowered the htt link to x4 as i thought my HT link was too high at 1100 which brought it down to 800 or so and tried the stress test again but still the system froze 5+ mins during the test.

any ideas?

Last edited:

can loop 3dmark06 2-3 times without a problem, decided to go for 225 x12 with the same voltage on stock cool with my side panal open temps idle are 33-36 and stree load can go up to 65 but im going to wait till my artic cooler freezer pro comes.

:welcome: to OCF!

Well, I'm no expert at these boards but I know a little about them. ;) Do you happen to know the stepping on your chip? That would be the second row of numbers/letters on the IHS.

Second, just for grins try setting 11x240 for the CPU. With the PC4000 RAM you won't need to adjust it just make sure the HT Link is at 4x and it should boot fine.

Setting the "CPU Over-voltage" to [Enable] and turning the VID down to 1.2v should still yield 1.4vCore and no heat difference. If anything it'll make the rig more stable than it is now. I'm pretty sure the over-volt uses a different MOSFET than the vCore so you're spreading the heat out a little that way.

Whatever the issue (and I suspect it's a heat wall on the CPU) we can work it through. Most 4800's, even the older ones, will clock 2.8GHz if there's sufficient cooling ... :)

yeah i've hit a heat barrier atm with 12x 225 = 2.7ghz it's stable but can crash due to heating problems with the amd stock heatsink ofcourse, but i should be receiving my artic cooler freezer 64 pro in the next couple of days.

as for the voltages, i've come to realise that this cpu is hungry for voltage, if i go below 1.5 volts i get bsod's.

and the stepping of my chip, any programs that can tell me that info?

thanks for the response.

Even if you're running slower I'd still up the FSB and drop the CPU multiplier (assuming your RAM can handle it, which it can). If you can run 225x12 you might try running 245x11 instead so you really USE the RAM like it's designed! The CPU won't be any hotter running at those timings since it's the same speed as 225x12. But your RAM bandwidth and speed will be much better running at 245 instead of 225, an ~10% increase in RAM performance with no loss to CPU performance! :) As a small plus your HT Link will also be closer to stock running at 980 instead of 900 MHz.

The steppings are stamped on the IHS physically and not included in the chip electronics. It's actually production code for the CPU telling what week and day it was produced. Chips produced on a given day tend to have similar OC characteristics to each other, that's why we generally write them down before installation. As performance databases get more entries certain patterns emerge. Some days are very good days, some are very bad, most are just average. By knowing the stepping for your chip you can look at the databases and see about where your chip will run. Every chip is slightly different, of course, so there have been chips made on "bad" days that perform very well - and vice versa ...

ah ok, ill try it now btw should i keep my memory timing to 1T or 2T it's still at 2T from when i was testing my max fsb, should i put it back to 1T also is my ram really and capable from what your saying, havent really read up on my ram all i know is that it was costy when i purchased it.

You should be running 1T with that RAM, no problem - unless you have four sticks instead of two.

The RAM is rated as PC4000 = 250 MHz. As long as your clock speed doesn't break the 250 mark you're still at or under speed for those sticks at stock voltage and timings. And if I know Corsair at all you can probably push it to 260 or more without an issue, though I must admit my experience with factory over-clocked RAM is limited ...

ok cool, ill get the stepping for you when i receive my new hsf thanks for the info again.

i think this is the complete stepping: CCBWE0602CPMW

Know any good overclocks with this one?

its clocked to 2760Mhz at the moment, thats with my new hsf installed, idle temps are 39-42, full load doesnt go over 57 thats with a vcore of 1.6 (1.4+overvoltage enabled) but my motherboard temp is idle at 54c is that a problem at all? and do you think I should try going for 2800Mhz :D

Nice OC! And you should always push the limit! :D

But I'd take care of the temps first. Pushing 54°C (especially at that vCore) is as far as I'd personally go. The motherboard temps don't look too pretty either. I don't know how you've got your case flow set up but if at all possible try reversing the rear fan to bring fresh air into the CPU area, which will also help the motherboard temps since the heatpipe radiator is up there as well. A side fan blowing in over the CPU (w/rear fan exhaust) would work even better for that HS ...

:welcome: to OCF!

Well, I'm no expert at these boards but I know a little about them. ;)

That's an understatement! :cool:

OP, don't let QI fool you. He's one of the most intelligent members here when it comes to the A8N32SLI Deluxe boards. He knows that board like the back of his hand.

If there's a way to get the most out of that board, he's the man to go to ;)

i've got the tsunami dream, the air extracter is at the back of the case already and theres the main fan which brings in cool air at the front near the HDD bays, the airflow should be pretty good as there are no cables in the way of anything

Back