• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V Delux - is it dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveb_online

New to the forum. My PC was only modestly over-clocked (using AMD software) but this was reverted to "standard" some time ago. It has been running fine for several years since then.

My desktop died recently. When switched on, mobo fans work but no POST beeps. There is no video at all. Light for power and HDD come on. The HDD goes off after about 20 seconds. No flashing.

It started acting erratically during boot-up (sometimes failed, sometimes locked). Never got to BSoD so either it booted to Windows OK or just crashed in the boot, prior to initiating windows.

I have stripped the board to;
- mobo
- cpu and heatsink
- PSU
Connected the onboard sound to a speaker and no POST beeps in this config. Tried removing the CPU and the AMI-BIOS voice fault detection stated "no processor", so the sound works!

I have tried a new PSU that I know works, so the problem is not voltage and power. I am pretty confident about that.

I have tried resetting the BIOS using the "battery out" method. No change.

I have tried two different graphics cards

I am just about to bin the entire system but was wondering about buying a new AMD-939 CPU just in case that is the culprit (the OEM versions are <£20). The PC would still be useful for the kids.

Grateful for any suggestions about any further diagnostics or tests I can run to determine if it is the mobo or the CPU that is faulty, please. I am a complete beginner, so no access to anything except a cheap multimeter and a 5lb hammer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Steve :welcome:

What kind of testing have you done with the RAM?
1 stick, various slots
other stick, various slots
no RAM - should give you a RAM bad or missing beep (or voice) code

Thank you JLK03F150 for such a quick reply.
I had 2x1Gb sticks. I've tried each one by itself and with none at all. When I tried with none I did not receive a voice activated error. Significant? Come to think about it I only tried the same slot.

I think no beep code without RAM means something else on the mobo has failed and is halting the POST before it gets a chance to test the RAM.

The only way I know to see if it's mobo or CPU would be to test your CPU in a known-good mobo, or visa versa. Hopefully some else might offer more advice for testing.

Back