• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7-S or DFI NFII Infinity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
Which one is a better board for OCing and stability? I heard the new Abits suck for OCing, and are nothing like the old ones. I also heard many great things about the DFI, but some bad things like no posting. If the Abit still had its classics back, I would get the NF7-S again, no questions asked, but i heard the news are hit or miss....can anyone help me out?

My friend upgraded from his abit to the DFI, i dont know what his OC is, but i know he loves the board, ill ask him next time hes on about it for ya

Out of four NF7-S's, the highest stable FSB I ever got using 2.9v on the memory (and the NF7-S overvolts) was 215. Using the same 2.9v setting on my DFI Infinity (which undervolts by maybe .04v) I was completely stable at 220 last night. I've also got headroom up to 3.3v. So...keep that in mind. Each board has its pros and cons. What are YOU looking for in motherboard?

I want overclockability, stability, and pure speed. I loved my NF7-S v.2, but that thing just blew up....literally. If they made the NF7 the way they used to, i would get it again. BTW if I get the DFI infinity, would I have to reformat or something?

CircuitBreaker8 said:
I want overclockability, stability, and pure speed. I loved my NF7-S v.2, but that thing just blew up....literally. If they made the NF7 the way they used to, i would get it again. BTW if I get the DFI infinity, would I have to reformat or something?

Yes you would... the IDs for the NF7 and DFI are different. Your drivers would not work properly

put it this way i put in a DFI Infinity in my comp and i didnt reformat i just installed the drivers again and it all worked fine intill the damn motherboard died on me

Not sure what happened. You shouldn't need to reformat though - after I switched boards everything booted up exactly as normal - the resolutions didn't even drop back down - it was as if nothing happened. Still, a driver cleaning and reinstallation is always a good idea, and even a repair install wouldn't be a bad option.

I've had an NF7-S die on me for no apparent reason also. That's when I switched to this DFI (though I tested one more NF7-S first...that was NF7-S #4). I guess Abit just got flaky...

I had a NF7-s that up and died on me in december after 3 weeks of use (not even pushing it, 200fsb) and I RMA'ed it and it took 5 times back and forth with abit until I got another NF7-s that worked right. I had ended up buying a shuttle an35ultra after the second(third board from original) board i got back from abit didnt work. After I got a working board I promplty put it on ebay to get as much of my money back as possible. SO based on my experience I would strongly suggest staying away from abit, but this is just based on my experience with them.

I don't know if it's my RAM or maybe my board but my Infinity is running at a 246 frontside bus at 3.0v to the RAM...I can take it to a 250fsb but not stable with my ram being at 3.0v and I am not about to fry it at 3.1v but I haven't tested the other board that you are interested in, all I know is I'm extremely happy with my Infinity.

I love my Infinity. Only thing is i had a problem with bios corruption when updating and dont like all the resistors and stuff around the heatsink mounting holes. Knowing this i would still buy it again:D

I work for a large computer retailer, and I should tell you the most RMA'd mobo we carry by far is the Abit NF7-S. Most DOA's too. It flies when you have it up and running, but it's a long way down to the ground when it crashes. I would go with the Infinity.

I'm debating the same thing and think I will get a new NF7-S since they seem to have come out with a newer rev 2. Although I would love to try a DFI infinity out as well. Decisions decisions... :-/

Are more Abits being returned because more of them are being purchased? Hasn't Abit been around longer than DFI and have a reputation for being one of the best MB manufactures? I have read a lot of posts about the DFI having major bios corruption issues. You can argue the point that ASUS boards are ruturned more than any, but they are a huge seller and peobably have the largest customer base. Just something to think about.

I bet most were being returned because when using a mobile...and not doing the L12 mod...the NF7's has a issue going past 220 - 230 FSB...but once the mod is done...well...as you can seen above...

And honestly...I was about ready to RMA mine until I did the L12 mod...

id go with the nf7-s. i have one and have also owned a lanparty b which is basically a infinity with more bells and whistles. ive never had as many probs with a mobo before as when i had that dfi board. my nf7-s v2 is rock stable at 230 fsb which owns my dfi at 250 fsb. i have never had a prob yet with my nf7-s except before i did the l12 mod, which before it i couldnt run past 223 fsb.

Back