• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer GD235HZ 120hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mkoll

Hello,

I just bought an Acer GD235HZ monitor for the fast response time and 120hz refresh rate to be mainly used for 2D gaming; I am not interested in 3D gaming at this time. Its specifications say it has a maximum refresh rate of 120hz. My problem is I don't know how to set it to run at 120hz. I am using a dual link DVI cable to connect it to my computer.

When I right click on the desktop>screen resolution>advanced, both the monitor and adapter tabs list 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz as the maximum.

In the Catalyst Control Center>My Digital Flat-Panels>Properties, it says "Maximum reported refresh rate: 75 Hz"

When I use the manual buttons on the monitor itself, there is no option to set the refresh rate. The info in the monitor's menu says: "H: 67 KHz V: 60Hz".

The latest monitor driver I downloaded from Acer's website for my monitor is for the GD245HQ but it is apparently what is supposed to work for this monitor as well.

I contacted Acer chat support about this but the tech was as confused as me.

I've tried http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7947-force-dvi-hdmi-resolutions-refresh-rates.html to replace the driver with an edited one of my own that has settings for 1920 x 1080 @ 120 hz but this didn't work either.

I am very confused. All I want to do is run the monitor at 1920 x 1080 @ 120hz. I appreciate any forthcoming help, thanks.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
ASUS P67 Sabertooth
Intel i5-2500k
Radeon HD6950 x2 in Crossfire
8 GB DDR3

I've solved it. I powered down, physically disabled the Crossfire bridge, rebooted and was able to set my monitor to 120hz.

I powered down again, reconnected the Crossfire bridge, rebooted - still at 120hz, re-enabled Crossfire and I still had 120hz!

So in my case, I had to set the refresh rate to 120hz before physically enabling Crossfire.

I guess the moral is that Crossfire can cause problems with 120hz so disabling it can help one troubleshoot.

Back