• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a single 512MB ram to a system with DUAL-Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaitan000

Registered
I've got a 3.0GHz P4 w/ P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard currently loaded w/ 2x 512megs of OCZ PC3200 (DDR400 2.5-3-3-7) RAM (1gig in Dual-channel).
I was looking to add some RAM and had a spare 512meg DDR PC3200 (DDR400) RAM from an old DELL PC (not the same manufacturer, not OCZ)

So, the question is, what is best? Add the extra 512megs of RAM or not?

Do I loose performance by adding a single stick of RAM to a system currenly running dual-channel?
Is the performance drop (if there is one) to such an extend that it would be be st to remain with my 1gig DUAL-CHANNEL instead of 1.5gigs?

What about the difference in speed & quality, the 512megs is something I pulled off an old used DELL PC whereas the OCZ is something I bought a while back, would it be best to NOT include the RAM and stay with my dual-channel?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

1.5 Gig of Ram will be better than 1 Gig and you wont be running Dual channel set like that but there wont be much difference running in single channel Mode

So, just so that I am sure, by adding the single-channel 512megs do I somehow "kill" the dual-channel of my 2x512 OCZ? How does this affect what I had previously? Do they now act as 3 single-channels ram sticks?

well what kind of programs and stuff do you run? if your on xp and dont really use most of your 1gb ram, then id say not to do it

Running on VISTA now (was XP) - that was my main motivation.
Running mostly basic web browsing, watching shows, and gaming (at lowest possible settings)

IMO, you should find another 512MB of RAM. Vista will run much better with 2GB and dual channel. I ran Vista with a P4 3.2C on an Abit AI7 with 4x512MB of RAM & it did very well. BTW, I was running 2x512 OCZ Gold 2-2-2-5 & 2x512 Corsair Value 2.5-3-3-6 without any problem at DDR400. The OCZ ran at the Value Select's looser timings, but mixing didn't hinder the dual channel's extra bandwidth.

Back