• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding more memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyborg

I decided to wait with a full rebuild to Skylake (MB/DDR4/CPU) and just add more memory to the system I have, to get better performance in video editing.

You can see my specs and build in my sig.
I understand that triple channel is used with three identical sticks in the same color slot. If I buy 3 sticks (3X8gb) for a total of 30gb and just put them into the three free slots, will this work?
Or do I need to remove the once I have and add 3 higher capacity ones?
How about timing and voltages? does it matter if the three new sticks are 9-9-9-24 or whatever?
Any suggestions of good memory to buy? ~$150

Anything else I need to be aware of?

thanks for any help.

Without installing all identical sticks there's no guarantees to be made on weather or not everything will operate properly. You would generally want everything to match with speed, voltage, and timings to make sure that the ram profile that is set isn't getting confused. Unfortunately triple channel kits haven't been made for some time due to the age of the S1366 platform, so you may need to buy 4 sticks and leave one out in order to operate at triple channel speeds.

Something like this could work for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490

Will give you 24GB of RAM. +8GB more to do with as you feel or if you want to try it in the system.

I'm not sure if it will work because of different ... everything. Mixing 3x2GB and 3x4GB may not work or will require to play with manual settings to adjust good clock/timings/voltages for both memory series.
Usually motherboard will read settings from 1st memory slot so best is to put there slower memory. Slower in this case will be probably higher capacity. Here is also tricky part as some boards require lower capacity memory to be in first memory slots ( 1/3/5 in this case ). Really a lot depends from motherboard itself.

I was checking Crucial Elite 3x4GB 1600 on X58 and they're working fine, however 8GB modules can cause some issues. These boards were not designed to support more than 4GB modules. Later were added patches but still not all memory modules are supported. Official specs = 24GB RAM max so 6x4GB.

I was checking Crucial Elite 3x4GB 1600 on X58 and they're working fine, however 8GB modules can cause some issues. These boards were not designed to support more than 4GB modules. Later were added patches but still not all memory modules are supported. Official specs = 24GB RAM max so 6x4GB.

Thanks for reminding me, totally forgot about that part.

I'll be ordering 2xkits. (6X4GB) all the same sticks and take out the ones I have,

Everything working great.
Got the new memory installed and am very happy with the results in video editing. I can't see any difference in game performance though.
24gb just "feels" better lol

I upgraded my current s1366 rig to 24 gigs a few years ago. My system was using so little of it that I set my page file to 0. I fold and game and never had a problem.

Back