• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Killing my FX8120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

So I'm stable at 3.8 on my 8120 currently, everything and I mean everything runs GREAT! Prime95 all night no errors, max temp is 55c to the core,

However last night I did a Surface Blur in Photoshop CS6 to a 5000x4000 image... And this shot all 8 cores to 100% and took about 2 minutes to complete, let alone basically freezing me pretty badly. Is this normal?

I would assume my system would handle photoshop fine? Which normally it seems extremely fast and great, however last night running a surface blur was terrible, note the image was not on my SSD and it was on the HDD which shouldn't matter?!? Looking for some advice,

Also I couldn't find a appropriate thread, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area...

It's possible that it also maxed out your RAM which would cause a large hangup as well. Have you looked into seeing if you can use GPU acceleration (CUDA) with your 550ti to help it along?

My ram is at 3.2gb when the process is running, and no I have not looked into CUDA, this isn't handled by default? How would I go about enabling this to be used within photoshop?

It's possible that it also maxed out your RAM which would cause a large hangup as well. Have you looked into seeing if you can use GPU acceleration (CUDA) with your 550ti to help it along?

Don't believe GPU accel is available for surface blur, it is for some other blur operations.

OP, where is your scratch file? And what is your GPU setting in Preferences -> Performacne menu?

I thought Photoshop switched to OpenCL, i don't know if it's available in CS6, i can't find it.

I'm very new to using Lightoom 4.1 so I hope I don't sound like an idiot. Is it possible that you've got your raw cache set too small? If you're working with large files and have the cache set too small you're going to be moving stuff back and forth, really churning your disks, and making your system work harder. I don't know if that would be enough to send all your cores to 100% but the chip will definitely work harder moving those pixels back and forth. That's all I've got.

Need a beer now.

Mike

I checked my settings in photoshop, it is using the card, and my ram is barely being utilized during a surface blur, im not at home now but ill have to check the cache settings , i did edit in > photoshop, out of lightroom, so we'll see, I dont know its a 30mb raw file, shoudlnt be that brutal on a 8 core cpu at 3.8 to fully spike all 8 cores to 100%

It was just a thought. BTW...I shoot .raw from my 5D Mark II and that generates about a 25MB file. I run a 50GB cache. I think the program default is 1GB and Adobe recommends a 10GB or larger if you have the space.

Mike

The cache setting is used by the catalog files that you have open in the develop module. I'm assuming that Photoshop and Lightroom work the same way in that respect.

I checked my settings in photoshop, it is using the card, and my ram is barely being utilized during a surface blur, im not at home now but ill have to check the cache settings , i did edit in > photoshop, out of lightroom, so we'll see, I dont know its a 30mb raw file, shoudlnt be that brutal on a 8 core cpu at 3.8 to fully spike all 8 cores to 100%
Well Photoshop utilizes all 8 threads to do computations, and of course you'd want it to use 100%.
The problem is the amount of time it takes, and are you running out of ram?

Photoshop /= Lightroom

Back