• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice for a new setup Asus P6TD Deluxe, i7 920 etc....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william86_98

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I've heard great things about it from looking around the web. I'm currently in the process of building a new system, and would like to watercool it. Ultimately, I would like to be able to OC on both my CPU and GPU. I've done quite a lot of looking around, but can't seem to decide. I have a pretty decent budget for the cooling system (around $700 CDN), but don't want to waste it away either. I'd like to spend every cent on quality materials. I have done some WC setup in the past, so have some confidence in it. However, I'd really like to avoid any high-risk modding procedures. Also, I prefer to keep my system organized, and avoid having to build a custom chassis to house the WC components. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please also feel free to give me feedback on any component of my setup (in addition to the WC)

First off...my system (changing things as i change my mind through this thread):

Cooler Master ATCS 840
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ
Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB
Western Digital Velociraptor WD3000HLFS 300GB SATA2 10000RPM
Western Digital WD15EADS Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA 32MB
2 X ASUS EAH4890 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ DDR5 PCI-E (in crossfire)
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channel PCI-E Sound Card 24BIT

Current Cooling System

HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 CPU Water Block w/ Heatkiller 1366 Backplate
Swiftech MCP355 High Performance 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump
XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top for MCP355 Water Cooling Pump G1/4
Feser Xchanger 120.3 Radiator w/ Scthye GT Fans
Bitspower Mesh Radguard 360 (3 x 120mm)
Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5.25IN Bay 4 Fan Controller
HEATKILLER® GPU-X² 4870/4890 Water Block for ATI 4870/4890
Bitspower -TRUE GOLDEN- G1/4 Straight Compression Fittings
Bitspower Black Sparkle Single G1/4 Rotary 45 Degree Angled Fitting Adapter
Tycon Silver Anti-Bac Tubing

Ultimately, if possible, I'd like to watercool at least my CPU and GPU, with chipset being a bonus. I've looked into a koolance system (which fits my budget) but have read that they are not worthed the price after all. So, I checked out the Apex Ultima Plus...but seems like they don't have a block for my GPU. Also, I don't exactly know what the cooling requirements are for my system with OC. I had a zalman reserator v2 with my last kandalf system....and it died...so this time..looking into custom cooling.

Once again, really appreciate all your help..thx so much!

Edit:

I also have some questions about RAM cooling. I see that a lot of systems have fans over the RAM. Is that included with the Corsair memory that I chose? Or, do I need to buy it separately/will it fit? Thanks!

Last edited:
The P6TD Deluxe is really just another warmed over motherboard in the P6T series. (I have the P6T Deluxe V2 here which is very similar.)

Water cooling the chipset on that board will be a complete waste of your time and money. It simply does not get hot enough to benefit from water cooling. Be sure to put the ASUS supplied MOSFET fan on the MOSFET heat sink and a 40mm fan on the motherboard heatsink as per the motherboard manual.

Cooling your RAM will also be a total waste of time and money. It's just not going to run hot enough to need it. And I mean, not even cool with fans, much less water. Just make sure you have good airflow inside your case and you're all set there.

Personally I would not bother water cooling the graphics cards. Graphics cards are happy enough running hot. But I'm not a gamer, so YMMV considerably.

That leaves the CPU. I'd cool that with at least a 120.3 radiator. Use whatever CPU water block (within reason) that fits your budget. The Heatkiller 3.0 is the current darling if you don't mind the cost.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good contradictory suggestions. I'm not particularly opinionated myself.

Last edited:
Some parts I've been considering while reading the article and browsing the internet today:

HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 - Limited Edition Nickel
- but which nozzles do I buy for this? it's not included..right?

Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS - for Asus P6T/P6T V2 Deluxe
- I think this fits P6TD too.right?..the boards look the same..
- do i remove the entire heatsink complex to mount this?..if so...how do i cool the voltage regulator part?
- question with the nozzles again...not included? which ones to get?

GPU
- looking at some blocks..seem like GTX285 ones are more readily available than GTX275. Am I better off getting 1X GTX285 as opposed to 2X GTX275?

ThermoChill PA120.4 4x120mm High Performance Radiator - 15mm Spacing
or Feser X-Changer Triple 360 mm Extreme Performance

Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pump w/Tach Senso

EK Waterblocks EK-Multioption RES 400 rev.2

What tubing do I use for all this? Any extra nozzles/clamps and connectors that I need? Am I able to fit all this into my case (now considering CM ATCS 840 as well)

Feser VS.C° - Heat Carrier Fluid - 500 mL

This is my first H20 build, so take it for what it is worth... but I have a very similar setup that I just bought (v2 of the MOBO though). Here are the conclusions of my research (and some recent help on this and other forums):

Water
Fesser 480 -> CPU (apogee gtz se) -> NB/SB (Bitspower AIX58NS)-> 285 GPU (v2 of the board ( dd-gtx285 v2) -> reservoir -> 665 w/ bitspower pump top -> back to 480.

VRMs on air
Thermalright HR-09S type 3
Thermalright HR-09U type 2
-These appear to give MUCH more surface area than the stock coolers... and I am aiming for a silent OC.

Fittings: all Bitspower True Silver 1/2' OD
Tubing: Tygon R3603 ½ ID ¾ OD Lab tubing #AAC00038
Clamps: Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/16 to 25/32
Tubing also has anti-kink coils for the outside
Coolant: Distilled water with Petra's PT-PHN nuke at 4 drops/litter
Petra's Kill coil in the reservoir

HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 - Limited Edition Nickel
- but which nozzles do I buy for this? it's not included..right?
Good choice. Lots of bling there for sure. Use Bitspower fittings. A pair of Bitspower barbs will do. If you want to use compressions, then you'll also need a pair of 45's with rotaries.

Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS - for Asus P6T/P6T V2 Deluxe
- I think this fits P6TD too.right?..the boards look the same..
Still want to water cool the motherboard, eh? What do you objectively think that's going to do for you?

- do i remove the entire heatsink complex to mount this?
Yes. It becomes a total commitment. Going back to air becomes either a non-option or a much more involved one at that point as well. Be sure to remove that stuff very, very carefully in order to preserve your options later.

..if so...how do i cool the voltage regulator part?
With MOSFET water blocks. What a PITA.

- question with the nozzles again...not included? which ones to get?
Correct, you need to buy lots and lots of fittings! Fittings are the fun part. I recommend using either Bitspower barbs or compressions.

What tubing do I use for all this?
Durelene works very well, is very flexible and is very inexpensive. Tygon Silver Antimicrobial is also nice, though not as flexible. I recommend 1/2" ID 3/4" OD in any case. Naturally the size of your tubing affects your choice of fittings all across the board. They need to match, particularly if you're going to use compressions.

Any extra nozzles/clamps and connectors that I need?

Yes, lots and lots of barbs or compressions (or any mix as desired). Don't forget that you may need 45s with rotaries for tight spaces if you're using compressions. I highly recommend Bitspower fittings.

Am I able to fit all this into my case (now considering CM ATCS 840 as well)
I also have an ATCS 840. Shouldn't be a problem.

Feser VS.C° - Heat Carrier Fluid - 500 mL
I don't recommend that. I recommend distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke and a silver kill coil.

I also recommend www.sidewindercomputers.com for the best prices, at least for people in the US.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I live in Canada, so shipping and duty isn't too bad..as long as i get it all at once..and ship it via usps to avoid the stupid ups brokerage fees. i'm going to try to look for the components in canada too, but dont' think they have them here, even if they do, the price will be overinflated (since CDN up lately, better off for me to buy directly from US)

Good choice. Lots of bling there for sure. Use Bitspower fittings. A pair of Bitspower barbs will do. If you want to use compressions, then you'll also need a pair of 45's with rotaries.

Hose clamps on top of those? What's the difference between compression and normal?

Still want to water cool the motherboard, eh? What do you objectively think that's going to do for you?

Just thought i'd throw it out there because the guide said the i7 might be extremely hot. But if your experience tells me that it's a PITA and not worthed the trouble, I think I'll skip it. Do I need to put in any extra special fans in the case to cool the chipset then (besides the asus provided one)

I don't recommend that. I recommend distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke and a silver kill coil.

How about the swiftech one?

An additional question: With the memory that I am using, does it come with those special corsair ram fans that i see all the time? are they necessary? or is whatever comes with the RAM enough. I'm using 2 X Corsair XMS3 tor TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB

Will all the components that I've chosen be supported by the single radiator solution that i've chosen?

Any HDD special cooling required?

Finally, any other ways to improve performance? I'm looking for quiet OC too, can sacrifice some temp, since I won't do any extreme OC. Also, is it worthed switching the case fans for silenx ones to get more quiet?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Yes, lots and lots of barbs or compressions (or any mix as desired). Don't forget that you may need 45s with rotaries for tight spaces if you're using compressions. I highly recommend Bitspower fittings.

I think I will use bitspower compressions for all my parts. I dont' understand about the 45s with rotaries though, could you please explain further?

is that something like this? http://http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bishsiro45bg.html how would i use it?

is arctic silver still the best stuff out there?

How does the Aquastream XT USB 12v DC Pump - Ultra Version compare to the swiftech pump. Is it more quiet but same performance?

Last edited:
since your in canada, check Here for prices on watercooling parts.
some wc parts are decently priced there, and they are a canadian retailer

actually, i am finding that a lot of the components are available at directcanada...which is nice....no pst for ontario deliveries.

I dont' understand about the 45s with rotaries though, could you please explain further?
On a Heatkiller water block you can directly attach two barbs and then tubing to the barbs, no problem. But if you want to use compressions instead of barbs, you will not have room to directly attach two compression fittings (at least not if they're 1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fittings). You end up having to use a pair of BP-45R fittings with your compression fittings. The BP-45Rs screw onto the Heatkiller and the compressions then screw onto them. It looks fine and doesn't reduce your flow any either. You might need to do the same sort of thing with some other water blocks as well.

Yes, exactly.

is arctic silver still the best stuff out there?
No, MX-2 is better. MX-2 is also slightly easier to use.

How does the Aquastream XT USB 12v DC Pump - Ultra Version compare to the swiftech pump.
I'd stick with the MCP-655-B or the MCP-355 if I were you.

UPDATE: Whoa, why in the world did I think you were using an ATCS-840 case? If you're not, then please just ignore my ramblings below concerning that particular case. Sorry about that!

Hose clamps on top of those?
You use hose clamps when you use barbs. First put the hose clamp on the tubing (slid down away from the fitting), put the tubing on the barb, slide the clamp over the barb, then tighten the clamp.

What's the difference between compression and normal?
When you use compression fittings, you don't need clamps. The compression fittings clamp the tubing. Bitspower compressions clamp the tubing very well indeed. (Stay away from Fesser compressions as IMO they don't hold onto the tubing anywhere near as well as the Bitspower ones do.)

Just thought i'd throw it out there because the guide said the i7 might be extremely hot.
The I7 will most definitely get very hot. Very hot indeed! The I7 will put out a ton of watts of heat when overclocked. But your P6TD Deluxe motherboard chipset and MOSFETs will not. Air cooling is fine for the motherboard and for the MOSFETs.

Do I need to put in any extra special fans in the case to cool the chipset then (besides the asus provided one)
Yes, you need to add your own 40mm fan to the main motherboard heatsink (the one with black fins in the middle of the motherboard with all the pipes connected to it). Use a high QUALITY fan here so that you won't hear it over the noise of your radiator fans.

You do not need any special cooling for your RAM. You won't need to or even be able to get the RAM voltage up high enough to make it hot. You'll have your case fans to provide plenty of air flow within your case to keep the the RAM cool.

Any HDD special cooling required?
Heavens no. The ATCS-840 case has a nice fan that blows air over the 3.5" hard drive bays.

Note that the ATCS-840 case only has room for a 120.3 radiator in the top. It does not have room for a 120.4 or larger radiator without extensive modifications. You get 100mm (104mm if you want to really push your luck) of room up there between the top and the motherboard tray support. With a 34mm thick radiator you can do push-pull with 25mm fans. With a thicker radiator or thicker fans you won't be able to do push-pull. You can also put an additional 120.2 or 120.3 radiator behind the hard drive cages. That is slightly more tricky to do (you might have to use standoffs), but it can be done with no case modifications.

Also, is it worth switching the case fans for silenx ones to get more quiet?
Your existing case fans are already very quite.

I recommend using Gentle Typhoon 1,850 RPM fans on the radiator. Use a fan controller too. The Gentle Typhoons have a very innocuous sound. They also do not make any weird noises when undervolted.

UPDATE: Whoa, why in the world did I think you were using an ATCS-840 case? If you're not, then please just ignore my ramblings below concerning that particular case. Sorry about that!

Although I was originally going to use a different case...I think a couple of posts ago I mentioned changing my mind to an ATCS-840.

Yes, you need to add your own 40mm fan to the main motherboard heatsink (the one with black fins in the middle of the motherboard with all the pipes connected to it). Use a high QUALITY fan here so that you won't hear it over the noise of your radiator fans.

Are the holes to mount this fan already provided? or else how do i put it on?

Note that the ATCS-840 case only has room for a 120.3 radiator in the top. It does not have room for a 120.4 or larger radiator without extensive modifications. You get 100mm (104mm if you want to really push your luck) of room up there between the top and the motherboard tray support. With a 34mm thick radiator you can do push-pull with 25mm fans. With a thicker radiator or thicker fans you won't be able to do push-pull. You can also put an additional 120.2 or 120.3 radiator behind the hard drive cages. That is slightly more tricky to do (you might have to use standoffs), but it can be done with no case modifications.

I'm thinking of using this radiator: Feser X-Changer Triple 360 mm. Are the fans not included in the radiator? Do I buy 3 fans and then attach them on? For push pull..does I mean I am putting a set of fans above and below the radiator? After that...how do I mount the radiator with the fans onto the top of the case...are the screws for that provided, or do I buy a separate kit?

I'm thinking of using this radiator: Feser X-Changer Triple 360 mm. Are the fans not included in the radiator? Do I buy 3 fans and then attach them on? For push pull..does I mean I am putting a set of fans above and below the radiator? After that...how do I mount the radiator with the fans onto the top of the case...are the screws for that provided, or do I buy a separate kit?
Ok, sorry, took a bit to get back. Your initial parts list is superb. No need to change to the Feser unless you wish to. NOTE - Make sure the PCB of your chosen GPU matches the design of the full coverage water block should you go that route. There are reference designs and non-reference designs (and blocks for both) for almost every card. Be sure yours match!

Judging from the above questions, you have lots more reading to do. Read the guide I linked to earlier. Then look at this excellent post from Conumdrum, read it and read the things he links to.

Radiators never come with fans. Push-pull means there are fans on both sides of the radiator, one pushing through and the other pulling out.

Mounting is up to you...if you're going internal and running push-pull, you will mount the fans to the radiator, then mount the fans to the top of the case. If external, you need some type of spacers. Bolts, a rad box, whatever you like. Screws for such a thing are rarely (never?) provided and you'll have to figure out how to do it yourself.

Are the holes to mount this fan already provided? or else how do i put it on?
You'll find a pair standoffs and instructions included with your motherboard. Unfortunately they do not supply the M3 screws that you'll also need. In the US one can get those at any Lowe's hardware store.

Are the fans not included in the radiator?
I'm not aware of any radiator that comes with fans included. You need to buy your own fans. Like I said, I recommend the Gentle Typhoon 1,850 RPM fans for their pleasant sounding low noise.

Do I buy 3 fans and then attach them on?
Correct.

For push pull..does I mean I am putting a set of fans above and below the radiator?
Correct.

After that...how do I mount the radiator with the fans onto the top of the case...are the screws for that provided, or do I buy a separate kit?
The ATCS-840 case comes with a set of four plastic adapter plates that you attach to with screws. What you do is remove the stock fans in the top of the case and replace them with the adapters and your radiator with fans attached. No case mods needed. Nothing could be easier.

Just realized the feser xchanger is 60mm thick...means too thick for push pull with ATCS 840..right?

Not really. It'll fit just fine :)
If the Feser is both 60mm thick and a 120.3 radiator, then I don't see how you could do push-pull when mounted up inside the top of an ATCS-840 case. You could do either push or pull, but not push-pull. Like I wrote above, you have 100mm of head room, 104mm if you push it (with 1mm to spare). To even get 100mm you have to remove one removable cross-brace (which is not a problem, it's meant to be removed). You definitely do not want to remove the cross-brace that is physically attached to the motherboard tray itself though and that's the one that limits you to 104mm of headroom. But I don't have a Feser radiator. I have an MCR-320 @ 34mm thickness. Perhaps Nebulous has a Feser and knows something we don't.

Last edited:
Back