• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice for a new setup Asus P6TD Deluxe, i7 920 etc....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the Feser is both 60mm thick and a 120.3 radiator, then I don't see how you could do push-pull when mounted up inside the top of the case. You could do either push or pull, but not push-pull. Like I wrote above, you have 100mm of head room, 104mm if you push it (with 1mm to spare). To even get 100mm you have to remove one removable cross-brace (which is not a problem, it's meant to be removed). You definitely do not want to remove the cross-brace that is physically attached to the motherboard tray itself though and that's the one that limits you to 104mm of headroom. But I don't have a Feser radiator. I have an MCR-320 @ 34mm thickness. Perhaps Nebulous has a Feser and knows something we don't.

Ahh, I missed/overlooked the part he was using both a Feser & a PA120.3 rads in the one case. What I should have said was if he used one or the other but not both rads. Sorry for the confusion.

I also have the MCR320, but mine is mounted in the rear of my RocketFish with a radbox.

*Edit*

Now looking at the Thermaltake Xaser VI case, his best bet would be mounting the rad @ the rear where the 120mm fan is with a radbox and running the lines inside the case. The bad part of this scenario would be the mobo tray will not be accessible.

He can also do this with the Antec P193, but no problem with the mobo tray as it's non-removable.

Last edited:
hi nebulous, thanks so much for your feedback...acutally, i should have updated the top as i changed my mind...through the info that i've gotten on this thread..i've actually changed my mind to

1X Feser 120.3 rad
Case = ATCS 840

so, after having found out that the feser rad is 60mm thick, i was wondering if the push-pull was still possible, that was what we were discussing about..but..since astrodanco says that there is only 100mm clearance..i guess i have to choose push or pull (any opinions).....are there any other options of mounting inside the case but still getting push/pull? my main reservation for not wanting to mount outside is cuz i have a dog, and a very curious kitty cat....bad news for computer cables....

for the extra 40mm fan over the black fins.......do i take the screws out from the black fins...then put some kind of standoff....then put the fans on top?....i've seen some ppl do it with some kind of rope clip or something...does that work?....i'm not exactly sure i'm envisioning the right kind of standoff...

for the extra 40mm fan over the black fins.......do i take the screws out from the black fins...then put some kind of standoff....then put the fans on top?....
Yes exactly. You remove two of the screws and replace them with stand offs, then screw your M3 screws into the standoffs. The standoffs are included with your motherboard. Just look in the box. You have to supply your own M3 screws though. How long your M3 screws need to be depends on how thick your 40mm fan is. The ASUS P6TD Deluxe motherboard manual has complete instructions in section 2.9 starting on page 2-39. If you don't have the manual, then you can find a copy here.

I bought a 40mm fan from newegg.com: EVERCOOL 40MM FAN-EC4010M12CA $2.99

Last edited:
thanks so much...this will make my life so much easier....

excited..finally first ups shipment coming tomorrow...cpu. ram..and the raptor...

expecting other components to show up next week.....

hoping to order all the watercooling stuff by this weekend..then i can be ready to fully build end of next week...

i guess i have to choose push or pull (any opinions)
You can try push, then try pull and see which gives you better temperatures. You also have to decide if you're going to have your air flow through the radiator from inside the case to outside the case or vice versa. The stock upper case fans that come with the case are inside to outside. But most people would recommend airflow through a radiator be outside to inside. BTW, don't try using the stock upper case fans as your radiator fans. They don't have enough pressure to act as radiator fans.

if i use them as outside to inside, then it means my only exhaust would be out the back right? (I think the side fans are intake too?) would that be ok. I actually have a habit of putting stuff on top of my chassis...i guess i have to change that habit either way.

ohh..an important question...

if i want to use compression fittings for everything:

2XRAD
2XRES
2XCPU
2XGPU

=8X (am I missing anything)

Will I need the BP-45R fittings for all of them?

Last edited:
if i use them as outside to inside, then it means my only exhaust would be out the back right? (I think the side fans are intake too?) would that be ok.
Probably not okay to have only the rear exhaust. I've actually replaced my front 5.25" bay covers with perforated ones (Lian Li BZ-501 5.25" Aluminum Drive Bay Covers) and air flows out the front now as well. BTW, the ACTS-840 does not have any side fans.

I actually have a habit of putting stuff on top of my chassis...i guess i have to change that habit either way.
Correct.

Another thing you might note if you're using the ATCS-840 case, which I'm beginning to doubt considering your remark about side fans above, is that the stock case top fan cover reduces air flow to what I consider to be an unacceptable level for radiator fans. For improved flow I put black finger guards on my radiator fans and leave off the stock case top fan cover. I had to use at least finger guards because 1) I have a cat and 2) I have a bad habit of using my case as a foot rest.

i dont' actually have the case yet..planning to order it this week..trying to group orders together for free shipping..and trying to get all US orders in 1 shot too....anyways..i think i'll get the atcs-840...i must have been thinking about the HAF when i talked about the side fans...been reading so many reviews these past couple days..pictures are starting to get mixed around in my head...hahaha...

looking at some pictures on the CM site.i see what ur saying now...so..that mesh part at the top..take it off right?...and then put finger guards on the fans.....

with your front bay cover..did u install fan too? or is the air naturally going out the front due to air being pushed out?

Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs

with the 1/2in barbs...i assume these are included then..and they fit the 1/2ID of my tubing?..and i just need to buy clamps?

with your front bay cover..did u install fan too? or is the air naturally going out the front due to air being pushed out?
It's just naturally being pushed out and at quite a clip too. I should probably turn the lower front fan (the one in front of the 3.5" drive bays) around so that it blows out rather than in.

Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs with the 1/2in barbs...i assume these are included then..and they fit the 1/2ID of my tubing?..and i just need to buy clamps?
That's a fair presumption. You'll find out for sure soon enough. I don't have that particular pump myself. I have an MCP-355 on an XSPC dual bay res. BTW, where and how do you plan to mount your pump? I wouldn't worry too much about it, but please do show and tell once you've done it.

i cant' seem to find a anywhere with stock for the top for the 655 pump...am i better off with the 355 and the ek top + res kit?

i'll definitely take some pics once everything is set up....

not sure where to put it yet....hard to do precise planning without the actual components here yet

i cant' seem to find a anywhere with stock for the top for the 655 pump...
You generally don't really need a replacement top for the 655. The stock top is fine so long as you don't mind the stock built-in plastic barbs on the pump.

am i better off with the 355 and the ek top + res kit?
A 355 with an XSPC res top is a proven performer. You get get undesigns brackets from Petra's that will allow you to mount it to the case bottom fan bracket in the ATCS-840. Or you can get an XSPC bay res. BTW, the undesigns bracket can also be used to mount the D5 (MCP-655) pump. Check them out on this web page. Z bracket and 3G brackets and Absolute bracket.

what's better?

2XHD4890 in Crossfire
or
1XGTX285

If I choose the ATI instead..what is a good block for it?...if i need to cool both (cuz of crossfire) will my cooling system still be ok?

Back