• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for new GPU cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AS2 and some super glue will work great. I just used this combination yesterday to some HS's on my R8500!

Instead of using superglue, read my article on Cooling the radeon 8500 and 7500's on the frontpage coming out on Wed Dec. 19th.

-Preview

"USE ARCTIC ALUMINA ADHESIVE"

ps My bro Antman beat me in suggesting Arctic Alumina adhesive...

For an ANT he gives good advise :p

I checked the space between the USB-Connector installed at PCI1 posotion and the fan position of the videocard and there's enoght to install the crystal orb. I think it's the best buy for the buck including the 26dB ......
I also ordered 8 passive-coolers for my RAMs. So how to install them? Just use the heat-pad, or mix ASII with superglue?

<Grisu4> said:
I checked the space between the USB-Connector installed at PCI1 posotion and the fan position of the videocard and there's enoght to install the crystal orb. I think it's the best buy for the buck including the 26dB ......
I also ordered 8 passive-coolers for my RAMs. So how to install them? Just use the heat-pad, or mix ASII with superglue?

I have this at 220/500 and I've been running fine for about 5 months now. Stock GF3, blorb and thermaltake passive ram cooling. I used AS thermal adhesive on the heat sinks for the RAM ICs but I was SO careful not to get any on the IC leads. Alumina wasn't out yet. The black lead is for a digidoc thermocouple sensor that touches the GPU.

<Grisu4> said:

SilversinkSam came with a good suggestion on how put the heat sinks on, but if you want to use AS2 and super glue you are not suppose to mix it together. You just put some glue in one of the corners, and AS2 on the rest of the chip.

[PCE]Overclocka said:
Here is mine ;)

Nice. Did you need to lap the orb? I didn't lap my blorb but I measured the bottom with a machinists rule and noticed no irregularities. I'm wondering if there were some although too small to notice with a naked eye.

So how long do I need (how much) to lap the GPU and the mem-chips? And how much of glue do I need to attach the RAM-coolers on the mem-chips? (just a little bit on each end?)

Is there a chance to remove them when fixed with glue?

<Grisu4> said:
So how long do I need (how much) to lap the GPU and the mem-chips? And how much of glue do I need to attach the RAM-coolers on the mem-chips? (just a little bit on each end?)

Is there a chance to remove them when fixed with glue?

lap the gpu until you dont see the writing on the core (or till you see the core of the gpu if you have enough balls) i highly do not recommend lapping the ram as it is very sensitive....as well....put a little dab on each corner of the ram may be this o big.....

Back