• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trackathlete

Hi all,

First-time poster & general newbie when it comes to PC builds. A few weeks ago I received a pre-made build from Palicomp (which strangely worked out cheaper than me buying the parts separately and building myself). The specs are as follows:

- COOLERMASTER K350
- 650W PSU
- Intel Core i5 4 Core 3570K
- ThermalTake Contac29 BP High Performance Ultra Silent Cooler
- ASUS P8Z77-V LX
- 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz - PATRIOT VIPER V3 RED
- 2Tb HDD
- AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB
- Internal Wireless (WIFI) 300 Mbps
- Extra Pack Of 2 x Case Fans

And all for £700 which I thought was a pretty sweet deal. I have since installed a 250Gb Samsung 840 SSD myself (their SSD prices were pretty expensive).

So my question is that it came overclocked to 4.4GHz. Being new to overclocks generally I stress tested it with Prime 95 and was slightly alarmed to see the core temps (using CoreTemp) skyrocket to over 100 degrees and witnessed the clock speed throttling back.

I took a look at the case cooling and saw that there was only a 120mm front intake and 80mm rear exhaust. Initially I installed two extra 120mm fans (one exhaust on top, and one intake on the side). This reduced the temp to 95 degrees, which I still thought a little hot. Trashing the 80mm fan and replacing it with a 120mm one and putting another on the bottom reduced it to 85 degrees. Whilst okay, I still thought this hot so had a little go at tweaking the overclock.

I reduced the multiplier to 42 which brought the temp down to 75, and then I noticed the voltage was on auto. I switched this to offset and found the minimum stable voltage setting was +0.01V. Doing a Prime 95 run produced a max temp of 65 degrees.

My question is, am I all good to go now? Does my procedure make sense, and are these temperatures to be expected? As I say I'm new to this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

You need to invest in one of this

41d120Vnj4L.jpg

Corsair h80 AIO cooler, you will thank me later :)

Why? His temps are fine now. H80is are expensive for what they offer performance wise. His current temps are perfectly acceptable and in fact have a decent overhead for more over clocking as it is

Thanks guys, yeah I figured I could probably go a little higher but I'm happy at 4.2GHz for now (especially as it's been really cold in London recently so my temps will probably go up a bit).

Being new to this, I have nothing to compare my cooler against, are the temperatures that I'm achieving to be expected on my Thermaltake cooler?

Back