• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on adding GPU's to the loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaymz9350

Ok so I bought this kit http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-240-hfx.html on a whim at Micro Center the other day as I've been wanting to jump to water for a long time. I'm very pleased so far with my purchase other than (and I was kind of expecting this when I bought it) the only way to mount that thick rad was in the lower front of my Fractal R4 which has now caused my GPU fans on the 970's with EVGA ACX coolers to spin up above the noise level I'd like to have (the top stays just below 50% which isn't terrible just louder than I'd like).

My questions would be how much more rad would I need to add to put the 970's in the loop while keeping noise to a minimum, noise is more my concern than temps really as long as the GPU's stay decently cool.

I'd like to try and keep it all internal in my case ans replacing the case isn't an option at the moment. The options for placement are single 140mm in the rear and bottom and the top is tricky, 280mm won't fit due to the 8 pin power plug on the mother board and it looks like I could get away with a 30mm thick rad up top.

Ok so I bought this kit http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-240-hfx.html on a whim at Micro Center the other day as I've been wanting to jump to water for a long time. I'm very pleased so far with my purchase other than (and I was kind of expecting this when I bought it) the only way to mount that thick rad was in the lower front of my Fractal R4 which has now caused my GPU fans on the 970's with EVGA ACX coolers to spin up above the noise level I'd like to have (the top stays just below 50% which isn't terrible just louder than I'd like).

My questions would be how much more rad would I need to add to put the 970's in the loop while keeping noise to a minimum, noise is more my concern than temps really as long as the GPU's stay decently cool.

I'd like to try and keep it all internal in my case ans replacing the case isn't an option at the moment. The options for placement are single 140mm in the rear and bottom and the top is tricky, 280mm won't fit due to the 8 pin power plug on the mother board and it looks like I could get away with a 30mm thick rad up top.

Put the 8 pin in first then mount the rad? also how much 970's do you have?

The 8 pin is at the top of the board physically putting it in the way of a 280 rad and I have 2 EVGA GTX970 SC 4GB ACX2

Hmmm do you mind if i see what you mean like a pic of your current set up ?? As for your Gtx 970's i would recommend the EK Geforce GTX 970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block its a nickel plated block and should have very good temps under full loads.

Just trying to figure how much raddage you're going need. You're probably going to need at least another 2x120mm worth of rad to keep it cool and also quiet. Problem looks like it lies in where you're going to fit it in the case.

Just trying to figure how much raddage you're going need. You're probably going to need at least another 2x120mm worth of rad to keep it cool and also quiet. Problem looks like it lies in where you're going to fit it in the case.

I agree with you on the space available in the case .

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG
All I have is my phone so crappy pics it is, the top shows the 8 pin placement.

The res and pump are not in a permanent place was just placed for ease to get it up and running since I knew I might add more soon.

I know it will be close but a 30mm should fit, will a 2x120 30mm and a 2x120 64mm rad be enough or should I go ahead a squeeze a 120 or 140 on the back as well?

Squeeze a 140mm at the back because usually the rule is 120mm of rad per component in your build but you are running 2 gtx 970's which most likely you are going to oc and the CPU Ur probably gonna oc too so try to get a thick one and if not try to squeeze in one at the bottom too then .

I'll have to do some measuring to see what will fit at the back with one mounted up top then. I doubt I'll OC the cards much as it's just not needed but the CPU runs 4.5 @1.25v with gaming load temps in the low 50's (also just delidded and removed the stock adhesive on the CPU) with the rad fans at 7v.

Not the best case to do some heavy water cooling into but it is very doable. Since those 970s are very efficient, with 480mm of heat surface should run you just fine. It helps having a thick front rad while the top will be thinner.

Here are some examples as you'll have to rearrange your loop.

900x900px-LL-ab68f7b1__7144944.jpeg

Source

The builder here used a XSPC EX240 up top and a SR1 280 for the front. You can either go with a Alphacool ST30 up top as well since its 30mm thick as opposed to the EX240, which is 35mm. That is up to you but I would do more research and have some measurements done to be 100% sure.

Here's another example I found.

bd5v.jpg

Source

I will say I would have the tube reservoir just above the inlet of the pump, which I believe is sideways atm, if you can figure out how to hang it just above it and adjacent to the front rad. Assuming there's room for all of this as well. Than use a 90 degree fitting at the outlet of the pump to go straight up to the top of the front rad using another 90 degree fitting. Than the front rad to the top rad and the top rad to the CPU and so on and so forth. So basically something like this..... Res --> Pump --> Front Rad --> Top Rad --> CPU --> GPU1 --> GPU2 --> Res You will need quite a few angled fittings, especially 90 degree.

So something like this........(forgive my "professional" editing :p)

IMG_0282.JPG

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks that does help, it also seems it will be difficult to add more than the 240 up top, it doesn't look like (from browsing those builds) I can do one at the rear with the top one installed and the bottom would require moving the pump which has no other space to easily go plus it pretty much removes the chance of a modular PSU which is also on the list soon. I'll probably just add the top and see how that goes first. Nothing in there now is set I just wanted it working so moving the res is not a real issue other than figuring out how to mount it, that's why it's hanging out up there right now. I did consider putting pull fans on the front rad and possibly mounting the res to them or I'm going to have to fab something up as there is really nothing to mount it too, those pump res combos in those pics would be nice but hey this is what I got as it was an impulse buy and was a good deal I though for what it came with.

Well got a rad Gpu blocks and backplates on the way. Figured I'd get everything together and see what I'll need fitting wise before buying any. Trying to make it as clean as possible.

Back