• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice on chip ugrade for z68 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarod A

Registered
Hi guys

I have an asrock z69 extreme4 gen 3 motherboard and I am looking to upgrade the chip......

In Ivy Bridge I was looking at i7-3770k @ $300, i5-3570k @ $120....

In Sandy Bridge there is i7-2700k @ $180, i7-2600k @ $150, i5-2550k @ $100 and i5-2500k @ $80.......

I have a radeon hd6970 gc, 2x4gb 2133mhz ddr3 ram waiting to install and a samsung evo ssd still to buy....

My question is, will any of those cpu's be the bottleneck in that system, or can I happily save a bunch of cash and get the $80 i5-2500k.... or is it worth paying a bit extra for the i7-2600k to get hyper threading...

I don't game much, just emulators.... web browsing, youtube..but I often have 2 or 3 things running at once...

I just want a computer that's pretty quick with some safeish level overclocking ability..... Thanks!

I'd go with the 2600k (no pcie 3 though...).

Ipc difference between Ivy and Sandy (a mere 3% IIRC) and pcie3 do not justify the 100% premium.

And SB usually overclock better than IB without need for a de lid.

2600K is a no brainer IMHO.

I'd go with the 2600k (no pcie 3 though...).

Ipc difference between Ivy and Sandy (a mere 3% IIRC) and pcie3 do not justify the 100% premium.

And SB usually overclock better than IB without need for a de lid.

2600K is a no brainer IMHO.

Show-off! :p , lol . Yeah I agree with numbers like that, the 2600K is the best bang-for-buck upgrade for that Z68. Maybe a used one for less than $150 is also the way to go. No sense in buying new.

Thanks for taking to time to reply guys....I'm a relative noob, and stupid decisions are easy to make.....it can get complicated, there's a lot of info to digest when researching this stuff, so I genuinely appreciate someone experienced looking over it before I buy things....... 2600k it is then!

Thanks for taking to time to reply guys....I'm a relative noob, and stupid decisions are easy to make.....it can get complicated, there's a lot of info to digest when researching this stuff, so I genuinely appreciate someone experienced looking over it before I buy things....... 2600k it is then!

2600k vs intels new i7 8700k (in gameing)
he did 2 vids for this the first was with @ 1070 ppl bitched that the 1070 didn't stress it enough . So did the vid I linked with a 1080ti . it worked out the same %10 difference . Im sure you will be happy with the 2600k

Thanks, that was a great vid.... that the 2600k can still get so close to the 8700k is pretty amazing..... especially when you consider the price difference.....

Thanks, that was a great vid.... that the 2600k can still get so close to the 8700k is pretty amazing..... especially when you consider the price difference.....

Yes and you need a $800.00 GTX 1080ti running at 1080p to see the difference.

Hey All,

Just wanted to give a massive thank you to the awesome people who took the time to sort me out with perfect advice for my z68 motherboard. I purchased a i7-2600k today, Looking forward to that coming in the post. I know all you guys have been on this site for years, I see the side member things, but truly, thank you guys for taking the time to give an intermediate noob advice...

Back