• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rhex

Hey Overclockers,

Having some issues on deciding the right motherboard for my gaming build and I thought I would sign up and ask.

CPU: Intel i5-6600k
RAM: DDR4 2400

Looking for a motherboard that I can overclock and one with a decent audio chipset for gaming.
Thanks in advance!

What you think? MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC

Parts List

The Tomahawk has a pretty terrible audio section in relation to most other Z170 boards.

Take a look at the changes I made to your parts list, please, you'll be much better off with the faster RAM, higher quality PSU, and motherboard selected.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VfWY4D

Also, I hope you'll consider another case, the Deepcool you selected is quite behind the times.
How about the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M instead?

The Tomahawk has a pretty terrible audio section in relation to most other Z170 boards.

Take a look at the changes I made to your parts list, please, you'll be much better off with the faster RAM, higher quality PSU, and motherboard selected.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VfWY4D

Also, I hope you'll consider another case, the Deepcool you selected is quite behind the times.
How about the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M instead?

Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely like it even despite the small price increase. While we are at it, is there any other GPUs you would find as a better choice for about the same price? Or even a different brand of the R9 390?

And for the case, i like how it is very spacious. However, it only has one fan. I'm not sure how I feel about just the one fan helping the airflow.

I didn't mess with the GPU since it was N/A on pricing. Assumed you had it already.
What resolution are you gaming at and what games do you normally play?

You can add new fans in to the Phanteks, you can't add in a well planned case layout and build quality to the Deepcool.

I didn't mess with the GPU since it was N/A on pricing. Assumed you had it already.
What resolution are you gaming at and what games do you normally play?

You can add new fans in to the Phanteks, you can't add in a well planned case layout and build quality to the Deepcool.

I guess that will do for the case. I will probably game at 1440 or 2160 depending on the game. I plan on playing newer and more demanding games. Mostly FPS.

If you're going to get a 2160p monitor you'll want to run a 980Ti or Fury X... at a minimum.
For 1440p I, personally, would look at a 980 or Fury. Maybe a 390X.

Second the idea of faster RAM and the better case. The fans included in most cases are cheap and noisy. Don't let the number of them thrown in by the mfr sway your decision. Pick the case with the best layout and quality and you can add decent fans for $7-8 each.

4k gaming isn't something you can just throw around. A $300 video card will let you game at 1080 on max settings, your looking at double that for a good experience at 4k. Not to mention a good monitor will cost at least double, maybe triple. You should narrow what your expectations are before you buy anything. A 4k gaming system will at least double the cost of the build you posted.

Second the idea of faster RAM and the better case. The fans included in most cases are cheap and noisy. Don't let the number of them thrown in by the mfr sway your decision. Pick the case with the best layout and quality and you can add decent fans for $7-8 each.

4k gaming isn't something you can just throw around. A $300 video card will let you game at 1080 on max settings, your looking at double that for a good experience at 4k. Not to mention a good monitor will cost at least double, maybe triple. You should narrow what your expectations are before you buy anything. A 4k gaming system will at least double the cost of the build you posted.

+1 for the R9 Fury or GTX 980 at 1440p or 2160p, 980Ti or Fury X.

If you're going to get a 2160p monitor you'll want to run a 980Ti or Fury X... at a minimum.
For 1440p I, personally, would look at a 980 or Fury. Maybe a 390X.

Thanks for the suggestion and help lads. From the likes of it, i will probably stick with the R9 390 and use my old 1080p monitor. Anything over the current GPU will be way out of my budget. As it seems, Sapphire series was the way to go for the R9 390. If anything, what would be the next best brand for R9?

For reputable manufactures with a 3 year warranty Asus and Gigabyte, is my personal preference for R9 390.

Back