• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice request for Future-proofing AMD FX-8300.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfoGeek

Hi guys.

I am an absolute 0 in overclocking. I will research overclocking eventually, but I would just like some pain-free advice to make a purchase, exploit the system and overclock at some point in the future after that. I want to build a server rig on a budget and the cheapest perform/price CPU to get is AMD FX-8300. i'll also have 2 x 3TB HDDs in RAID1 glued to it.

I know people are overclocking the silicone out of it. So I want to buy a Motherboard good enough to overclock it to safe levels. Note that this is a server rig so I want it to be as stable and long-living as possible. If you could suggest a cheap motherboard to "safe overclocking"(saw some stuff on the net to turn off power saving and boost and keep it at 4Ghz, so that's the only thing stuck in my mind without knowing any better) under the context I described it would be spiffy :D

UMD-102759616_vmain01_nd_mn_9494387.jpg

Last edited:
asus m5990fx pro I think is the bottom fpr 8 cores, but for keeping the rig alive i would opt for a sabertooth.

asus m5990fx pro I think is the bottom fpr 8 cores, but for keeping the rig alive i would opt for a sabertooth.

124.39€ Ouch... that is not cheap at all, it's at the top cost range(same or more than even teh CPU itself 126.78€). I should mention I'm not looking for crazy overclocks, nor do I care for fancy stuff like USB 3.1, random HDMI ports and so on. Willing to give up all for the sake of costs.

Is 990FX really a must here?

I mean I would have taken the 760G ones but I'm sure they are trash for that. Choosign form here.

Last edited:
you want it to live a while??????? yes it is.
8 cores draw a lot of power and the better power section of the sabertooth is well worth it.
if this is a home server why not look at an apu rig, the a10 cpu's you can drop the gpu as they have onboard video.

you want it to live a while??????? yes it is.
8 cores draw a lot of power and the better power section of the sabertooth is well worth it.

Am I missing something? Say if I took this crappy N68-GS4 FX that's dirt cheap at 39.39€ and demanded absolutely no overclocking from it, it should do what it says it should and carry the CPU just fine, shouldn't it?

if this is a home server why not look at an apu rig, the a10 cpu's you can drop the gpu as they have onboard video.

Because it is 1790 Passmark score less and 28.51€ more (or a lot less score for cheaper variants which would be teh same price).

it would, for a while, then poof!!! all gone.
over here an apu/motherboard combo is cheaper than an 8 core fx and a motherboard that will live under it.
if you have no plans on overclocking it a 970 board might even do the trick.
as for doing what it says, it might, but marketing is marketing, we've seen enough cheap boards come through here and fail, I've even done it myself.

Welp, I thought AMD was the cheap way out... I guess I'll go crying back to intel for a cheap i3-4160 + HM81M-E33 for 164.58€.

Thanks for your advice.

Dang always late to the party.

The FX-8300 has a stock v-core of only 1.1v That Asus board would likely last a few years. I had the MX PLUS version. LN2 and DICE got two years from it before selling it.

If you where to buy this set up and say only lightly OC it perhaps just keep it stock with turbo on, it would probably last a few years without troubles.

But since this particular CPU has a turbo of 4.2ghz on 1.3750v 4 cores or less, you could easily air cool this cpu also.

For a budget board Asus and 760G is the only budget way to go.

My two cents here. Take heed, overclocking 4+1 VRM is at your own risk just the same as 8 VRM solutions. 4 just cook faster :p

Hats off!

~ShrimpBrime

Back