• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice Wanted About Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobCochran

Registered
I need some advice about video cards. Please let me explain first that I'm a video card innocent. A lost child in the graphics card jungle, ha ha! This will become evident as you read my further comments.

I want to buy a video card compatible with this:

evga_geforce_gtx1070_sc_small.jpg

(Part number 08G-P4-6173-KR)

and install it in this brand new computer:

first_boot_new_computer_small.jpg

...and I want to liquid cool the video card. I also want to install a second video card in an SLI mode. I want to liquid cool the second card too.

I can't seem to find this exact model of video card for sale now. Newegg seems to be out of stock. The GTX 1070 cards they do have appear to be incredibly expensive. I'm really surprised by the $600+ prices. Some are over $750.

Still, my friend needs a high end video card like the 1070. Suppose I buy a similar EVGA brand 1070. Could I install it in the new system, and then later connect it in SLI mode to the older 1070 video card -- the 08G-P4-6173-KR part?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob

all 1070s will sli with all other 1070s.
msi cards set taller in the slot so that can be an issue.
why 1070 sli?

Worst timing bob. They are being bought at a crazed rate and even resold used for double the new retail price all because of mining. Yup, you heard that right. Now its happening to Nvidia.

all 1070s will sli with all other 1070s.
msi cards set taller in the slot so that can be an issue.
why 1070 sli?

Thank you for letting me know this. I am glad the different 1070s will SLI. I do not know anything about SLI. I had read that two cards in SLI mode will perform better for someone who does a lot of video editing. The friend i'm building this computer for does video editing. Perhaps I should research SLI more before I make that leap. Can a 1070 device do SLI with a 1060?
Because of the really awful pricing I can just wait.

Worst timing bob. They are being bought at a crazed rate and even resold used for double the new retail price all because of mining. Yup, you heard that right. Now its happening to Nvidia.

Thanks for letting me know, GTXJackBauer. I can wait on buying a second video card until prices drop. Originally I had wanted to buy a 1070 for the new computer, and liquid cool that. Then test the system out and also give my friend the chance to test this new computer more seriously, with a high end video card installed. Now the cost of a 1070 looks prohibitive given the budget. I suppose I can just take the existing 1070 which was purchased at a reasonable price and put that in the new machine. I can just wait.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are using the cards for rendering, editing forget sli, forget the 1070, get a better card, sli is not for that.

I would maybe, sell the 1070 for a better GPU if you're able to get the sell price high enough for it.

I would maybe, sell the 1070 for a better GPU if you're able to get the sell price high enough for it.

So what is a better video card for video editing? I did some searches for video cards for editing tasks such as editing movies. The GTX 1070 and 1080 is what came recommended, although I admit I did not look far and wide for suggestions. And I admit I don't know a thing about video cards. Perhaps I should have searched more. So what is better than the 1070? My friend edits a huge number of short movies using the Adobe Lightroom product.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Back