• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jiggles262

i have a AM3+ motherboard and will have £150 soon and need a new CPU to replace this Athlon of mine. what would you advise i get? i need it for gaming and the odd video editing.

if the piledriver CPU's are not much better then bulldoser and are way more expensive i might get myself a 8120 and a nice cooler and overclock the SH*T out of it.

thanks for the advice btw, just wanted some other peoples opinions :)

@ £130 (£110 with cash back) and 2 free games the FX-8120 is a pretty good deal.

An FX-8### is not a bad chip, it just doesn't have the IPC performance of Thuban, yet in most games your not going to see that and some video editing tools are GPU not CPU dependant, while those which do depend on the CPU are integer dependant which on Bulldozer is pretty good.

ive used the FX4100 and i didnt see what all the hate was about tbh, was a nice speedy little chip and it can run any of the new cames nicly with a HD6970 and is only £75 in some places.

My dads HP has a FX-6100 in it and it seems to perform very well. I installed a CM Gemin II S524 cooler on it for him to make sure it stays cool. It plays BF3 pretty good with a 560SC 2GB too. (I gamed on that rig before I built my own.)

ive used the FX4100 and i didnt see what all the hate was about tbh, was a nice speedy little chip and it can run any of the new cames nicly with a HD6970 and is only £75 in some places.

Cherry picking what uses low threaded Floating Point performance will always show Intel to be better (there) and the FX as worst.

I tend to look at those charts as a yard stick of what Games / Software not to buy, but that's just me :)

They are not necessarily a measure of the chip overall.

Cherry picking what uses low threaded Floating Point performance will always show Intel to be better (there) and the FX as worst.

I tend to look at those charts as a yard stick of what Games / Software not to buy, but that's just me :)

They are not necessarily a measure of the chip overall.
It's not just float but int too when it comes to the low-core chips...

What's best for gaming is 8 core with bios that allows 4 CU / 4T, do it right and you can get rather close to a 2500K that is clocked a bit lower.

It's not just float but int too when it comes to the low-core chips...

What's best for gaming is 8 core with bios that allows 4 CU / 4T, do it right and you can get rather close to a 2500K that is clocked a bit lower.

Ah... interesting, thanks.

Back