• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After suggested hardware upgrade, how to consolidate it all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey, I've just checked in CPU-Z in the SPD, and I see another RAM profile:

Should I try and using this instead of 1866?

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 78
Getting back in OC'ing.

So here's a great guide to OC'ing the Bulldozer, and explains pretty much how to oc the memory at the same time.

Bulldozer OC guide

Also, there is the official tuning guide from AMD Bulldozer Official Tuning Guide

I would not follow this one totally, as they use the Amd Overdrive software.

So my question is: can I use these two guides as ULTIMATE reference? If so, I would print them so I can use it WHILE I'm in the BIOS... kinda hard to look at these in the bios huh?

I would stick with the 1866 profile. The 2800 profile is a huge overclock and the other two will be slower.

And your motherboard does not support memory frequencies that high anyway I don't think. Yes, stick with the 1866 but you might work on tightening the timings which would probably give more performance gain in a wide range of apps than ultra high bandwidth. High bandwidth sounds good but it only helps if the CPU is starved for it. I doubt that would be the case for an FX 4100.

The first guide you link has been around for awhile and as I recall has been a wonderful help to many but it's rather dated. The AMD guide is mostly useful from a terminology standpoint; to understand what the various components in the chip architecture do and how they relate to each other. Kind of general info rather than specific overclocking recommendations. Experimentation is still the key.

Okay, thanks! It seems that the first guide is very complete on the WHOLE OC process, so I'll get that, and the amd reference as well.

One more thing. Please take a look and try to answer... Memory oc problem

You can try it but I would think 2T would be more likely to help with instability because it's a looser timing. I know you don't want to hear this but it seems to me there are a lot of problems with Kingston ram on AMD systems.

The thing is that before I had to change the bios chip, these settings were working A1, felt like a warp drive :D

The CPU wasn't OC'd, while the ram was 9-11-9-27-42 @ 1.65v

Seems like Kingston's ram requires that high 1.65v to run in the XMP ranges whereas other manufacturers stuff only needs 1.5.

Overclocks...the journey.

The thing is that before I had to change the bios chip, these settings were working A1, felt like a warp drive :D

I remember the little episode with the SPI bios chip. I would imagine you had the bios chip supplier flash to the later bios from Asus? The one you were trying to flash to when all went belly-up?

Guessing you have later bios now than previous one; it is not hard to imagine you have a difference in how ram may seem to work.

I do n0t flash to a later bios ever; unless the bios Readme seems to indicate IT will FIX an issue I have. No issue and NO freeken bios flash. I have the CHV non-Z board and I have the new FX-8350 Vishera cpu in it. I am running a 'very' early Bulldozer bios on that CHV and have absolutely NO intention of flashing to a later Vishera bios. I look at the voltages regular when first setting up and I look at the temps and see what is what. Since my FX-8350 seems perfectly content and my CHV does not boot the FX-8350 as 'unknown' cpu, you will NOT see me flash to any other bios when my setup has no problems or issues or need for a different bios just because Asus has a new release.

I have read this entire thread about 3 times and I still don't really know what you see as a problem. You can go ahead and use the overclocking guides and learn about overclocking and terminology, and I have read them all. But neither is exactly how I tune-up and overclock and I doubt anyone does it how I do it nor do I expect any single tutorial to be all knowing.

We cannot help you much without captured images to give us a word-picture of what is happening at your end. Turn all the green shett off in bios and set winders power mode to Performance and run P95 at a CPU speed that you know is stable. Then post the four captures of the results. HWMonitor run before, during and after a P95 Blend test for at least 20 mins. Post that capture. Also CPUz capture of CPUz CPU Tab, Memory Tab, and CPUz SPD tab. This is where all of us start an overclock journey.
RGone...

So, I followed what the guy said, but then he speaks of options I don't have (fsb/htt, CPU-NB multi, HT multi, RAM multi...)

As you told me back in my original OC thread there's no need to fool with it, so, fine.

Then he speaks of ram timings. Ok, that I know. But...
but make sure you always watch the CPU NB frequency, as if it’s too high the system will fail to boot. You also will need to increase the CPU-NB voltage; I set to 1.3v for the heck of it, but too high can cause performance issues. If you want a high HTT/FSB you might need to bump the Northbridge voltage as well as CPU NB. DRAM Voltage can be changed as well.

Huh?

And then...
Go back into the BIOS and change up the timings, mix up or match the HT Link and CPU NB frequencies, or try them at different levels. You can try increasing the voltage or decreasing them as well. Go back into windows and run your benchmarks. If performance is higher than you are on the right track, if it is lower, then go back.

In the other thread, someone suggested that my timings could be incorrect.

understand I still have more to learn about modern RAM timings... but when i was overclocking ram, the tRAS had to be equal to the addition of the first 3 timings plus or minus 1. when you had it lower then x+y+z-1 you usually had errors pop up, instability in general.

so in your case your tRAS should be 9+11+9 = 29... though you probably could get away with 28... according to your sig you have it set to 27. back when I was playing with this stuff that was a good way to bork your system stability. i'm willing to bet you never changed the tRAS, as 9-9-9 would naturally have a tRAS of 27... which is where yours is. By bumping the tRCD up to 11, you probably would have needed to bump your tRAS up +2 to 29 as well.

Possible, but the SPD tells me otherwise. I guess that's where I need to work.

Basically, trial and error each timings? If so, what are "better timings"?

/e:
Yep, the supplier flashed the bios in the version I was going to get. As for "a problem", this isn't much of a problem thread more than a "how to make both work together without crashing". I assume that starting "over" will help. So here are the pictures :D

Printscreen of my stable settings. Note: the vCore varies. See variations on HWMonitor. In the bios, it is setted at 1.475v

Attachments

• overclock.jpg
    overclock.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I'm certain you do have HT Link multiplier, CPU-NB multiplier, etc. They may be called something else or they may be hidden by "Auto". Take stuff off of Auto to be able to see the manual controls. CPU-NB may be called just NB in your bios. You've got to flex with the terminology a little bit.

Attachments

• 1st Ai Tweaker.jpg
    1st Ai Tweaker.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
Okay, I didn't think of a selection of speeds would be a multi.

Picture related.

Might be a good idea...
Will look into that.

/e Wtf is the Spread Spectrum? I mean, the terms are pretty specific, but, HOW/WOULD this be of any use?

Attachments

• 130112160526.jpg
    130112160526.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Take the AI Overclock Tuner off of "Auto" and put it on "Manual". The HT Link Speed in your case is expressed as the actual frequency instead of a multiple of the FSB. Just a different way of presenting it, that's all. The HT Link Speed is the product of the FSB and the multiplier. Same is true for the CPUNB speed. Stock FSB is 200 mhz. So if you had a bios that presented the adjustment as a multiplier you would just set the multiplier to 10x in order to get a frequency of 2000 mhz (200x10=2000). To get a frequency of 2400 mhz you would increase the multiplier to 12x (200x12=2400). Don't get paralyzed by terminology differences from one bios to another. The terminology isn't standardized but the concepts are the same. As you may have opportunity to work with various motherboard manufacturers over time you will be able to translate.

Take the AI Overclock Tuner off of "Auto" and put it on "Manual". The HT Link Speed in your case is expressed as the actual frequency instead of a multiple of the FSB. Just a different way of presenting it, that's all. The HT Link Speed is the product of the FSB and the multiplier. Same is true for the CPUNB speed. Stock FSB is 200 mhz. So if you had a bios that presented the adjustment as a multiplier you would just set the multiplier to 10x in order to get a frequency of 2000 mhz (200x10=2000). To get a frequency of 2400 mhz you would increase the multiplier to 12x (200x12=2400). Don't get paralyzed by terminology differences from one bios to another. The terminology isn't standardized but the concepts are the same. As you may have opportunity to work with various motherboard manufacturers over time you will be able to translate.

Okay, thanks a lot. I'll give it a try tonight. Staying up all night again, I'd like to do this as soon as possible :D

Back