• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After suggested hardware upgrade, how to consolidate it all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heck put that FX-4100 on ebay and get you a 955BE or 965BE they have been pretty cheap lately and will clock like a beeatch on that mobo. your cooler would handle the four core Deneb processor mighty good and some Denebs hate DDR1600 anyway so the ram being slightly wonky would not be an issue and then your would have an altogether rig. Just a thought.
RGone...

Well, what mobo would you recommend for my rig? Main reason for this is that the FX and the RAM, I bought them for performance, while the mobo was budget restricted.

To be perfectly honest, the 4 core Deneb at 4.1Ghz would still be a little better for 'most' gaming than a 4 core FX and not have to put up with the heat once you really push an FX processor. Plus the next series of FX processor after the one the FX-4100 is part of is at least 15% faster.

I believe honestly that a $75 Usd processor might be better than a $160 Usd motherboard. I just cannot get my confidence in the $110 to $140 Usd boards. Not even on just a four core FX. And then suppose you decide to really try fast and get you a later Vishera type 6 or 8 core and then you have the cheap mobo again. I can suggest if you want but thinking purely in money terms the 4 Core Deneb makes more sense right now to me.
RGone...

RGone has a point if you keep the FX and want a decent board with upgrade potential you'll be in the $150-$200 range. Cause the eight cores are beasts when it comes to heat output and required power.

Money will not be an issue when I will upgrade. Until then I'll save up for that...

(Getting off-topic, considering there isn't any more OC to be done on this rig)

I was thinking of getting the fx-8150 eventually, what motherboard should I pick? I want to keep the kingston ram, but ifI have no choice I'll buy some more compatible.

Get a FX83xx series instead they have better performance over the Bulldozer series. As for mobo theres some discussion in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726388
If you plan on serious OC then get something like one of these
Asus Crosshair V formula/z
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 Gen 3(not yet released)
Asrock Fata1ity 990FX
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Gigabyte 990FX UD5 or UD7

Back