• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After suggested hardware upgrade, how to consolidate it all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So this is what it looks like. In theory, it's good. But let's see how it goes on the battlefield -->World of Tanks<--

Attachments

• more_overclock.jpg
    more_overclock.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 71
So far so good, no crash, I've been running a bunch of benchmarks, some GPU benchmarks as well, seems pretty good.

I'll probably take some more time next weekend to fine tune all of this.

At some point, there will be the trial-and-error job of the ram timings but I'll definitly need some help for that, basically to make sure I'm going the right way when I'm there.

Kingston HyperX Genesis 4x 2gb OC'd @ 1866MHz 9-11-9-27-42, 1.65v

Memory tweaking is not that big of a deal. When someone says tighten your timings for better memory performance they mean to take your >> 9-11-9-27-42 << current settings and make the numbers smaller. I might try 9-10-9-24-37 and you might pick-up a slight bit of memory performance but there are only a few programs that would 'even' be able to register the change. Since you seem to be pretty stable now with the ram and those timings at DDR1866, no memory tweaking is going to produce a result you can see on screen or feel. FYI. IMO.
RGone...

I have been experiencing freezes. Most often during gaming.

I lowered the FSB and the CPU-NB frequencies back to stock, using only the CPU multi and the RAM mods.

Will run some Prime 95 overnight, since I got this far with 20-60mins of P95. I'm thinking that these were not the culprits of these freezes, but I thought it wouldn't hurt.

The hard part here would be recreating the environment for failure so I would pinpoint the exact setting(s) that is faulty.

Last edited:
Okay, this is kind of scary.

Worked P95 for 18hours, here are the results from HWMonitor...

Don't mind the fans speeds though.

Attachments

• p95.jpg
    p95.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 64
Looks awfully warm to me. Can you lower the vcore at all? That's a lot for 4.2GHz.

Yeah, Bobnova, I would say it is a mite warm too. 66c core instead of a flat 60-ish and 82c on the Cpu when generally we see 70c as likely safe and stable. Warmish.

Looks awfully warm to me. Can you lower the vcore at all? That's a lot for 4.2GHz.

1.475v (in BIOS) is too high? But no, I can't really lower it, that's the stable voltage with 4.2Ghz with the multi @ 21x I've found... I've tried changing the FSB rather than the multi, but I couldn't get ANY stable setting if I did that.

As for every wierd looking temps, someone told me it was a PEAK during P95, as it wouldn't be more than a few seconds like this but... Usually, my core temp are around 5-7°C, and the cpu has about 30°. In these times, it's an A/C. When I ran P95 all night and day, it felt like a steam room lol

Still looking for some answer on what might've happen with these crashes...
Note: these high temps were registered after the freezes, with the same ram timings, same cpu multi.

Anyone has an idea of what might has caused the freezes?

Temps or not enough cpu voltage. It would 'most likely' be one of the two by about 97%.

The greater the temps, the more voltage needed. The more voltage added the more the temps. The more the temps the more voltage needed. There is a pattern there.

Temps or not enough cpu voltage. It would 'most likely' be one of the two by about 97%.

Hm. I thought so. But something else caught my attention.

I've had random crashes using default settings.

While I SHOULD have thought of this, someone asked me how old was my main HDD. I bought it used. 2 years ago.

I'll get a new HDD probably tomorrow, and then I'll start again.

I'm not saying it will fix all, but it might help A LOT.

my main HDD. I bought it used. 2 years ago. = That 'might be' that other 3% I left open for the really odd stuff.
RGone...

sorry for long streches of no answers, just moved, no internet until the 26th.

meanwhile, i checked my stock temps and it seems that my new place is VERY warm. i used to have 5c IDLE on the cores, now i get 20c....

This thread is on hold until I get my new HDD. It shouldnt be too long, 80$ for 1tb.

/e It will be much easier from now on to do all that OC'ing, I got myself an old laptop that I'll use to check what we said while I'm working in the bios...

Last edited:
RIGHT, got my new HDD(see sig)

Went back to my once successful CPU OC(using the multi only):

4.3Ghz @ 1.55VCORE (1.525 showing in bios)
Temps are OK, prime95 is OK.

Taking the RAM to 1866mhz @1.65v 9-11-9-27-42.

C-R-A-S-H. Hard.

POST. WINDOWS LOADING SCREECRASH.
Crash before windows booted.

POST. LOGIN. PRIME95. CRASH.
Crash when I started up prime95.

POST. BIOS. CRASH.
Crash IN THE BIOS. Yes. You read that correctly. THE BIOS CRASHED.

Alright... Changed RAM profile, went for the 1600mhz @1.65v 9-9-9-27-36.
60mins of prime95 went perfectly smooth, will test in a game to see how it goes, and for how long.

(SS in the next post)

On a side note, why didn't it work correctly?

Last edited:
Temps seem a little high on the cores. Maybe CPU voltage a little high as well. Otherwise if all works fine for you then enjoy your performance.
RGone...

70c CPU temp and about 60c for the package temp are the recommended temps as viewed in HWMonitor.

Like I said if 'you' are content with your volts and temps then enjoy the performance.
RGone...

Back