• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After updating UEFI BIOS time is continually wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I definitely would send Asus the link to this thread. This is the strangest thing I think I have ever seen on this forum.

Last edited:
I definitely would send Asus the link to this thread. This is the strangest thing I think I have ever seen on this forum.

I made a clip for my Instagram and it was freezing every 2 to 3 seconds on the clock. I even reset BIOS to default, and not doing any OC and the clock has already fallen behind 6 minutes again. I did email Asus the link. Probably get a response tomorrow.

I might just take the board back to Micro Center, as I bought the extended warranty... something I don't usually do, but given Ryzen is a new platform, I wanted that extra bit of protection. They even cover overclocking, which isn't part of the normal warranty. I can probably exchange it after I show them the clip of what is going on with it. Who knows if something else might creep up.

Also, I think I'll grab one of the other CR2032 batteries floating around in another PC and swap it into this one, just to make sure, even though I tested the one in this board with my multi-meter.

Anyways, strangest thing I have seen on a motherboard myself. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but without knowing why it's doing this, who knows what it could affect down the line.

Would try a bare-bone cardboard build since you anyway will take it out.
CPU+stock cooler+1xRAM+PSU+any plain vanilla GPU or the r9 r390.
This with another spare cr2032 in place.
Just power it up and leave it on BIOS display mode, observe time for eg.12hrs,
I assume based on previous posts that the problem should show, if it is still present.
Maybe post a screenshot here of the BIOS page with the voltages for the motherboard.

Would try a bare-bone cardboard build since you anyway will take it out.
CPU+stock cooler+1xRAM+PSU+any plain vanilla GPU or the r9 r390.
This with another spare cr2032 in place.
Just power it up and leave it on BIOS display mode, observe time for eg.12hrs,
I assume based on previous posts that the problem should show, if it is still present.
Maybe post a screenshot here of the BIOS page with the voltages for the motherboard.

It's very odd and random. It'll keep time for a while, then starts to fall behind. Today i disabled C states and the clock appeared to be working normal, and I just noticed after an hour it fell 1 minute behind. Even Asus tech support saw the video and said, let me get back to you while I consult with other techs... He hasn't seen anything like this before. So, I will wait until I get a reply from them.

When I get another cr2032 battery I'll give that a go. I'm not convinced it's the CMOS battery since it was giving off plenty of volts when I tested it with the multi-meter. Maybe some kind of rare BIOS bug is what I'm thinking at this point.

I ended up exchanging the motherboard and CPU with Micro Center. This motherboard was actually 30 seconds fast on time after 16 hours or so. I guess that's more normal. But the board boots faster, my IOPS issue seems to have disappeared as well.

BUT, this board randomly wouldn't turn on when I put it together. Reseated the CPU, fired up. Later on in the BIOS changed some settings, then hung on POST. I remembered reading somewhere that socket pressure could cause Ryzen CPU's to not want to turn on. As soon as I backed the pressure off of my cooler, the PC turned on again. I'm not sure if the backplate is grounding to a lead on the back of the board or what. This may of been the other boards problem, in part at least, but this board is performing better. Is this board just a crappy design? I had these issues even with the Wraith Spire cooler installed. So, I'm not sure.

I'm not over-tightening the cooler either. I'm hand tightening the screws in an 'X' pattern like I've always done. I just don't get it. I've used this cooler on my AM3 board for a long while and never had this issue even when I changed it out for other coolers when doing tests for articles. It just worked and none of this touchy crap that seems to be an issue with this board.

Poltergeist... :p

I'm considering all options. I've never encountered issues like this before in 12+ years of building PCs. I may be a newb to the Ryzen platform, but I know how to bolt a friggen PC together. What are the odds two motherboards exhibit the same issue? Only a design flaw is going to have consistent problems.

I'm not very happy, as I drove 200+ miles round-trip yesterday thinking this new board would get rid of the issues, but it hasn't this board is just as wonky with the hanging and randomly not POSTing or turning on. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the socket pressure though since loosening the cooler it turned back on. I'm going to talk to Asus about this issue, as I think the x370 pro has a serious issue with this considering two boards are doing the exact same thing to me.

I'm considering all options. I've never encountered issues like this before in 12+ years of building PCs. I may be a newb to the Ryzen platform, but I know how to bolt a friggen PC together. What are the odds two motherboards exhibit the same issue? Only a design flaw is going to have consistent problems.

I'm not very happy, as I drove 200+ miles round-trip yesterday thinking this new board would get rid of the issues, but it hasn't this board is just as wonky with the hanging and randomly not POSTing or turning on. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the socket pressure though since loosening the cooler it turned back on. I'm going to talk to Asus about t il ohis issue, as I think the x370 pro has a serious issue with this considering two boards are doing the exact same thing to me.

Mmmm... Call an exorcist? Or maybe avoid Asus... ;)

I am done with them and their wonky customer service.

I'm not very happy, as I drove 200+ miles round-trip yesterday thinking this new board would get rid of the issues, but it hasn't this board is just as wonky with the hanging and randomly not POSTing or turning on. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the socket pressure though since loosening the cooler it turned back on. I'm going to talk to Asus about this issue, as I think the x370 pro has a serious issue with this considering two boards are doing the exact same thing to me.

You drove to Tustin...what a very long drive that must have been.

Mmmm... Call an exorcist? Or maybe avoid Asus... ;)

I am done with them and their wonky customer service.

Yeah, I'm not impressed. First Asus motherboard I've ever used. I was always wary because their boards may be popular, but they always had worse reviews with customer ratings than other motherboard vendors like MSI, and Gigabyte. I've used MSI almost exclusively, but this board was in the right price range and I have a friend that swears by Asus, uses nothing but them... then I get this issue with two of the same boards. I'll never use them again.

You drove to Tustin...what a very long drive that must have been.

Yes, and I'm contemplating going back, and exchanging for an MSI or Gigabyte board. I've had to loosen the CPU cooler again because it wouldn't turn back on! I can't even OC with this thing because of it not wanting to POST, then I have to switch it off with the PSU switch, then won't turn back on. Next time this happens I'm gonna make a video of it. It's ridiculous. I can probably force it to happen just by tightening the screws on my CPU cooler.

As I said before, I'm not happy. This shouldn't be an issue with two boards now. Something is wrong with the socket on both of these. Has to be what was wrong with the other board, besides the clock issue... which guess what, is happening to THIS board as well now it's 3:09 and PC says it's 3:00. Anytime you OC, this thing just goes bonkers. I'm not even pushing crazy volts or anything. Gonna head to Tustin again tomorrow morning and find me a different motherboard. I'm done with this one.

Is the PCB on Ryzen thinner than the FX chips? Could it be as simple as over tightening?

I don't know. And would that account for the system clock losing time as well? Personally I doubt it, but who knows at this point. I got both of these boards from the same place in a relatively short time, could be a bad lot of them maybe? They both shipped with BIOS version 0612. Probably the same lot of boards. Talked to Micro Center, they said to call customer relations tomorrow and explain what's going on with the board.

Have you checked the underside of the CPU for damage or contamination?

I dont see how the socket would affect time. That is all a software thing.

I don't either. It's just odd any way you look at it. I did discover a goof on my part. I had the backplate on the wrong side. It's labeled Intel on one side and AMD on the other. I had the AMD name facing out, but it was suppose to face the motherboard. Now I can clamp the cooler down. So far no weird start up issues. I'm guess the socket had too much force on it, and to prevent damage doesn't fire up... hopefully it didn't damage anything. And if I did, the PC probably wouldn't be running right now, so I'm guessing no damage was done, but time will tell. I feel like such a tard for doing that.

Have you checked the underside of the CPU for damage or contamination?

The underside of the CPU was checked, specially after I realized the backplate issue. There isn't any damage or contamination. Once I put the plate on the correct way I could mount the cooler all the way. I'm still getting higher temps than the last CPU, but I think that's because I ran out of the TIM I was using from the AIO cooler. I have this Dynex stuff that's probably way too old. I need to order some Noctua TIM to replace it. I know that Dynex stuff is not that great and it's old, so I'm blaming the TIM on the higher temps.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It's much appreciated. Get this, even the clock is running correctly now after the back plate swap. I wonder if it was grounding something on the board when it was the other way around... I'm not sure if the back plate was messed up on the other board or not. I don't remember what direction it was in when I took it off. I do know that board had issues though, as this board boots faster, and POSTs faster. It gave me issues with the stock cooler was on it well before I even got my AM4 bracket for my AIO cooler.

Unfortunately, this CPU doesn't OC as well as the other. I can only get 3.8Ghz. 3.9 I couldn't get stabled with 1.42, and with LLC1 it was hitting as high as 1.48 volts. Just too much juice to get it there, so I'm not even gonna try. I can get 3.8 with much lower voltage, 1.38.

Ah, didn't realize you swapped both the board and the CPU.

The tech at Micro Center suggested it, just to be safe. I kind of agreed, but in hind-sight, the CPU was probably ok. It's working fine now, even keeping time. I don't know how that back plate could mess something up such as the time, but it must of shorted something to cause weird issues. Now that I have it on the right way, it's been working fine since last night. I had it do a P95 run with the 3.8Ghz OC and the RAM set to 2800 settings as before, no issues. Did some gaming earlier this morning too, Witcher 2 without issues.

I was able to confirm that I did put the backplate on wrong with the other motherboard. I did a time lapse video of it for my article on benchmark reviews:

I could tell it was on wrong, but that other board had issues well before I put my AIO cooler on it. So, I think now this board should be ok... as long as I don't do something so stupid as put the back plate on wrong again!

Back